Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:20:35 AM EDT
I pulled up maybe 50 square feet of floor tile on my basement floor.

The tile was glued down with this thick black tar-like goo.

I used a heat gun and sharpened puddy knife to scrape up the glue.

So now that the tile and glue are off, all that is left is this smooth black surface, that is tacky.

I've read that solvents will only cause the tar to soak into the concrete pores.

Is there a machine or something that can scrape a fraction of an inch of the concrete off
so I can get a nice clean surface back?

A sander would only clog up with the residual tar, so I think that is out.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Find a decent rental company and ask to rent an electric twin disc grinder.
They are made by Edco, and can be used for various applications. Yours is one of them.
Be sure to get the diamond scarifiers with it.
We rent ours @ $56/day, plus the diamond scarifiers @ $96/day.
If you were to rent it here, it would cost you exactly $167.06 for 24hrs with the machine. That includes tax and insurance.

www.edcoinc.com/index.html/screen/dual_disc_grinder/session_id/a03c27ecd0263300a173c98b329693a3

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They are made by Edco, and can be used for various applications. Yours is one of them.

www.edcoinc.com/index.html/screen/dual_disc_grinder/session_id/a03c27ecd0263300a173c98b329693a3

www.edcoinc.com/library/jpg/944_1138656593.jpg

Will this require a forklift to get it into my truck, and half of a biker gang to carry it downstairs?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.edcoinc.com/library/jpg/944_1138656593.jpg

Will this require a forklift to get it into my truck, and half of a biker gang to carry it downstairs?

They ARE heavy, but what you want to do, requires a machine of this caliber.
A set of motorcycle ramps will work fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
go the other way and pour another half inch on top?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Whoa!

You might want to find out what exactly it is and what leveling compound was used underneath.
A lot of the older stuff has asbestos in it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you prepping the concrete for tile or flooring? If for tile, mastic or thinset will be just fine on it.
Are you trying to get the concrete surface to be as it was? Probably not realistic, but there are some very good epoxy adhesive paints that you could use to paint the concrete surface with little preparation.

To remove the tacky residue, you can use Kerosine or Diesel fuel, but that is going to be messy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Removed before even posted for COC violation.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
You should have the residue tested for asbestos before doing anything dry to it.
Cutback was the name for the older tile adhesives, and some of them did contain asbestos.
If you want a tile floor, put down concrete backer board to bury the stuff.
For a wood floor put down plywood (on sleepers if needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top