Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:42:21 AM EDT
If this bill gets passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, ownership of guns will get much more risky.

House Bill 5818

AN ACT CONCERNING LOST OR STOLEN FIREARMS.

To require that when a firearm is not in the actual physical possession of the owner it be stored or kept in a manner so as to reduce the risk that it will be stolen or otherwise come into the possession of another person, require the reporting of the loss or theft of a firearm to a law enforcement agency and provide that evidence that a pistol or revolver was found not in the possession of the owner thereof is prima facie evidence that the owner had transferred such pistol or revolver without proper application and authorization.

There it is. If any firearm you own is found on another person, you are ASSUMED to have been a straw purchaser...A FELONY.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:43:55 AM EDT
Welcome to AmeriKa, comrade
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:50:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 5:53:30 AM EDT by gardenWeasel]

require that when a firearm is not in the actual physical possession of the owner it be stored or kept in a manner so as to reduce the risk that it will be stolen or otherwise come into the possession of another person

Hold my gun and watch this...
I feel safer already.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:52:19 AM EDT
Jeez - don't let your 17 year old shoot your handgun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:53:40 AM EDT
So, in CT, do you have to apply for permission to sell/give away your guns and wait for paperwork authorizing you to do so?

If not, this is meaningless, and should be stripped out on that basis alone.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:58:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
So, in CT, do you have to apply for permission to sell/give away your guns and wait for paperwork authorizing you to do so?

Yes, you have to use paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:10:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

But is there a time frame? In Mass we have 7 days to report purchasing a firearm, so technically, its not a crime till 7 days have gone by.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:11:30 AM EDT

You need to move to a civilized country.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:16:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
But is there a time frame? In Mass we have 7 days to report purchasing a firearm, so technically, its not a crime till 7 days have gone by.

Prior to transferring a handgun, without and FFL, the seller is required to get an auth number from the State Police.

This sums it up:

Private Sale of Firearms

Pistols and Revolvers
Federal Law states you may only buy a handgun in the state in which you reside.

You can only buy a handgun in Connecticut, if in addition to being a resident, you have a valid Permit to carry Pistols or Revolvers, a valid Eligibility Certificate, if you are a licensed Firearms Dealer or if you are a Sworn Police Officer.

A DPS-67-C and a DPS-3-C (4 copies) must be completed. The seller of the handgun must contact the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number for that sale. This number is to be added to both forms. The DPS-67-C is to be retained by the seller for 20 years. The seller should retain the original copy their records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Public Safety.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:16:22 AM EDT
What's the beef? There are so many Fed/State/Local laws on the books that we are ALL currently criminals.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:20:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:
What's the beef? There are so many Fed/State/Local laws on the books that we are ALL currently criminals.

That is thier intent. If we are all criminals, our rights can easily be restricted further or stripped entirely.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:31:19 AM EDT
Big deal. Report the gun stolen if it's missing and get about your business.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:22:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By alaman:
Big deal. Report the gun stolen if it's missing and get about your business.

Reading is Fundamental: You are still guilty of illegally transferring the weapon REGARDLESS if you informed police within the 72 hour period!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:23:57 AM EDT
ahh bs way too much punishment it will never pass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:26:33 AM EDT
What's with the "lend your gun out at the range" part though... If you're there, claim it.

... make no mistake, I think gun laws suck, but I question the headline is all ...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:29:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
What's with the "lend your gun out at the range" part though... If you're there, claim it.

... make no mistake, I think gun laws suck, but I question the headline is all ...

Read the part in blue. If a firearm is found to be in someone else's possession, the legal owner is *assumed* guilty of being a straw purchaser or otherwise illegally transferring the firearm. It's a blanket statement that leaves NO room for interpretation or circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:34:08 AM EDT

Read the part in blue. If a firearm is found to be in someone else's possession, the legal owner is *assumed* guilty of being a straw purchaser or otherwise illegally transferring the firearm. It's a blanket statement that leaves NO room for interpretation or circumstances.

If they're using that as a "gray area" (that isn't so gray), that sucks. I guess I interpreted it differently is all.

Hasn't anyone told these grade-a-@$$holes that killing people, intimidating them, doing anything untoward with a gun (or knife, or baseball bat) is already illegal? We don't need more stupid gun laws!

(also has anyone forwarded this to the NRA? Mebbe they could fight it... Or at least inundate the idiot responsible for this bogus piece of legislation with junk mail! )
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:35:36 AM EDT
W_G I could also see some more activist-minded people calling the police on themselves and daring the cops to arrest them by handing the gun back and forth to each other.

"It's legal"

"It's illegal"

"It's legal"

"It's illegal" ...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:44:59 AM EDT

W_G I could also see some more activist-minded people calling the police on themselves and daring the cops to arrest them by handing the gun back and forth to each other.

"It's legal"

"It's illegal"

"It's legal"

"It's illegal" ...

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Top Top