Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:05:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:12:13 AM EDT
[#1]

<sarcasm>Who'd have though. The EU brought undone by French protectionsim. I'm shocked, simply shocked!</sarcasm>

It might be a bit premiture to dance on the corpse, but this certainly is a good sign that it might all be over sooner than expected.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for later
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:19:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't sound dead to me. Hurt, but not dead.

Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Europe is dead

I thought this was gonna be a Bird Flu update.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Europe is dead

I was thinking more like islam finally won.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did I miss something?

The whole EU thing is based around a 'common market' of free trade etc. Imagine if Texas passed a law banning Virginia owning or buying stock in Texan companies… USA PLC would not work, same with Europe.

A 'Union' which has protectionist laws against it's own members is what the French have created.

Well it seems to me what happened was France and Germany were like "ya everyone join the EU it's cool", but then blocked off their own borders to their neighbor's economies. They wanted all the benefits from the EU but to get all the other smaller nations to pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I though Deutchland would be the first to try and break out of the EU
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think you mean take it over.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nah, France and their Napoleon syndrome already kneecapped the EU now we just need Britain to pull out and put a bullet in the head officially.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought Europe was a dung-heap.

(ref: George Washington's final presidential speech)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Sweet !!!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did I miss something?

The whole EU thing is based around a 'common market' of free trade etc. Imagine if Texas passed a law banning Virginia owning or buying stock in Texan companies… USA PLC would not work, same with Europe.

A 'Union' which has protectionist laws against it's own members is what the French have created.

Well it seems to me what happened was France and Germany were like "ya everyone join the EU it's cool", but then blocked off their own borders to their neighbor's economies. They wanted all the benefits from the EU but to get all the other smaller nations to pay for it.

True, but it's nothing new.  Germany, as an example, was doing that for the last 40 years: they wanted everyone else to buy their goods but didn't want to buy anything from others.  I'm sure France was doing the same, but I knew for certain about Germany.  This atitude made the EU's problems predictable after one overcame the "Gee, maybe they solved that!"

The next problem will be to maintain the strength of the currency.  Unlike popular belief, the Euro isn't backed any better than the Dollar (perhaps less) by tangibles;  the Euro is based on the agreements and resulting financial ratios to be maintained by the various member countries.  Consider, the Euro is true fiat currency, based on the ability of countries to maintain debt ratios, amongst others.  There are "allowances" for "emergencies" for the members to deviate from their agreed ratios; these have been overused and still are.  It can only go so far, and the treaty gets broken beyond repair.  They have less flexibility than we do.  Keep up the unemployment, and the debt skyrockets.  Doesn't take more than first semester Economics.  

Combine the issue raised by the thread, and there is a compounding effect - shades of "Smoot-Hawley."
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... Berlisconi

Am I the only guy to click on your link?  That was hilarious!  

I wonder if Berlusconi got in trouble for that bit of sexual pantomime.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Le Roi est mort. Vive le Roi!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
... Berlisconi

He does have a sense of humor!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Vito
This time the USA is not going to liberate France from the Germans.
If you blokes decide to sail over to Dunkirk for some Vichyssoise you’re on your own!
Oh and you better fill in that big hole you dug too before the French start walking over to surrender and then you will have to feed the whole lot of them!

Rich V
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Europe is dead

And I thought it was teh zombies...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did I miss something?

WHATEVER, There was a post here just the other day that said you were going to get a constitution whether you wanted it or not!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
The problems of the Europe are DOUBLE STANDARDS.

If anyone remember Orwell' s "Animal Farms" the initial statement of the animals' rebellion was: "Animals are all egual" (I never read the original book in English, I am translating from the Italian version...).
Then the pigs, when they rise to power, modified a little the statement: "Animals are all egual, but pigs are more egual than others...".

Well: EU nations were created with equal rights and duties, but still now there are some of them that are thinking they are more egual than others.

Some examples:

- Germans created Maastrict rules fearing Italians will not respect financial parameters to be in the Euro area. Then, when they infringed the parameters (their debits are more than 3% of the Internal Gross Product...) they asked to change the rules.

- Brits are accessing Eu funds always much more than their contributions.

- French asked to fine Italy because requirements to supply Italian Forest Department with helicopter were favouring Agusta-Westland, owned by italian shares, products and not also "other countries" helicopter. They have the face like their ass: when was the last time ANY french department adopted an Italian/British/American helicopter since Aerospatiale exists?

- Italian and Spanish language were canceled as official languages. Now documents are in English, GERMAN AND FRENCH only...

Should I continue?

EU could be a good thing, to counterbalance China and also the most powerful nation in the World: USA.

But Europeans have small minds: figure out if Texas or Wyoming were doing only their particular interests damaging the rest of the States of the Union (shit... you MUST GIVE UP CALIFORNIA!!!)?

Demential, if you want to keep toghether USA as a powerful nation!

But this is what is happening: all the govt. are thinking NOT as European making interests of he European people, but only as German, French, British (uh. no British are NOT European... at ALL...), Italians, Spanish, Dutch and so no.

They are so busy to fuck each other that in this orgy our govt. are not seeing the advance of the Great Enemy from East... China will swallow us in one big bite.

I was writing an article about Glock 17, days ago. One thing that hit me was that Glock didn' t join the XM9 trials because didn' t want to give up te secret of his pistol frame in exchange of some immediate profit: if somebody wants his guns they must know that the technology is made in austria and WILL REMAIN IN AUSTRIA.

Our EU industrials are selling out our technology to get NOW some profit, but Chinese are not stupid: once they learned they will cut any profit to the EU entrepreneur and start to sell a copy (some time and always more often of good quality) at lower price.

We, in EU, have no minds for long term policy.

I apologize for the long post.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
... Berlisconi

W

T

F

was that!???
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They have the face like their ass:

I don't know what that means, but it sure is funny.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's maybe an unhappy translation of italian slang expression :"Avere la faccia come il culo".

"To have a face like the ass" portrays people able to lie without shame on their faces.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's maybe an unhappy translation of italian slang expression :"Avere la faccia come il culo".

"To have a face like the ass" portrays people able to lie without shame on their faces.

I thought the universal word for that was POLITICIAN!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the universal word for that was POLITICIAN!

Didn't you notice that politicians have always a groove in the middle of their faces???
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Similar to the English expression often used about politicians, 'That guy talks out of his arse'

Politicians are the same everywhere in the world!

Vito, I heard that maybe the absurd, antilibertarian handguns ban in UK will be canceled. Are there rumours true or nothing is moving?

In a gun review in Italy appeared a letter of an Italian living in London for decades (I guess he has also double citizenship) that not only handguns have been banned, but also inert replicas!

When this madness will end?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Will the madness ever end? Maybe not… check out the insane ranting on this gun control site…

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GCN02.htm

Read.

This people should be banned, not guns...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will the madness ever end? Maybe not… check out the insane ranting on this gun control site…

Read.

This people should be banned, not guns...

Those are the actual people who got the government to ban handguns…

Andy, do you mean that if Tony Bliar and the Labour would be knocked off from the seat of power, gun ownership would be restored in UK?

I remember that after Dumblane was Major govt. to start it all...

Another thing: I spend a lot of time buying books about AR15: I am one of those few folks in Italy that are becaming EXPERTS about this gun.

Reading one book, by Joe Poyer, I saw that there is a british firm, Parker Hale, that is producing a PERFECT replica of M16A2 but in .22 LR.

Is this replica legal in UK or not?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#39]
We are sposed to be a Republic, but somehow the sheeple keep forgetting.  As for the traitorous rebels - those states that were opressed still alow their residents to own guns.

Quoted:
The issue is nationalism.  If you are going to have a free trade, common currency federation, then the nation state as it was previously known in that region must cease to exist in order for it to work.  Ours works because we as a nation of United States, had common cause and purpose through and following our revolution.  This was bolstered when we whooped those traitorous rebels in the 1860s.  As a result, the average American does not see themselves primarily as a resident of their particular state, but rather as an American with common cause and purpose with other Americans.  We have generally a common language, culture and currency.  We shop at similar stores for similar goods with similar tastes in foods with regional differences being very very minor in nature.  I can eat Asian, French, Italian cuisine not only in the same city, but often in the same establishment.  This is not considered odd or abnormal here.  I could buy a Remington made in NY or an Ithaca made in Ohio and as far as I'm concerned I own an American shotgun with no loyalty to individual states attatched.

About the only thing we as Americans attatch that sort of loyalty to is our hometown sports teams. A person living in the US can travel from one end of the continent to the other and never have the need to speak a language other than English.  

For these reasons, our nation works.  That is why we are UNITED.  As long as Europe tries to comport themselves as seperate entities without a unifying federal government, the concept of nationalism will always and probably rightly so in their case, get in the way.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#40]
The end of the EU will be cinched when some ordinary citizen of one of the member countries assassinates a politician from France, Germany, or Great Britain in Brussels.

Pray for Godspeed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Gee, the French only liking the EU when it gives them an advantage? Color me shocked.

I'm gonna go read Larry Bond's Cauldron again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Really looks good for them Arabs putting their petro money in the Euro dont it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#43]
centuries of bad blood are not cured by a few decades of cooperation.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Europe is dead

They did, on that side.  Im waiting for the islam riots stateside, gonna be a lot of noise.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Europe is dead

They did, on that side.  Im waiting for the islam riots stateside, gonna be a lot of noise.

Maybe

Maybe Not.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The end of the EU will be cinched when some ordinary citizen of one of member countries assassinates a politician from France, Germany, of Great Britain in Brussels.

Pray for Godspeed.

1914 all over again?  You may be right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#47]
tag for later
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read.

This people should be banned, not guns... hr

Those are the actual people who got the government to ban handguns…hr

Andy, do you mean that if Tony Bliar and the Labour would be knocked off from the seat of power, gun ownership would be restored in UK?

I remember that after Dumblane was Major govt. to start it all...

Another thing: I spend a lot of time buying books about AR15: I am one of those few folks in Italy that are becaming EXPERTS about this gun.

Reading one book, by Joe Poyer, I saw that there is a british firm, Parker Hale, that is producing a PERFECT replica of M16A2 but in .22 LR.

Is this replica legal in UK or not?

No gun is legal in UK. You can still do Competition Shooting but you have to keep your gun at the range, not at home.
Even gun collectors who had special permit are all gone. The last one, G.I. Sturgess, who owned quite amazing collection of rare guns packed his stuff earlier this year and left for european mainland. He didnt want his collection confiscated under some lame excuse and then get some pathetic compensation for it.
Of course there has been a massive increase in violent crime since they banned guns. I'm glad i dont live there.

As for European Union, it has never been a good idea. European peoples have never been found of it, its purely the "baby" of european economic and political elite. For realistic views on EU, i suggest you all take a look at this website: http://www.brusselsjournal.com/
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like 1914?
More like the 1930's with protectionism shutting down borders.

I was just in Italy and they were trying to save their auto industry by restricting imports from the rest of Europe.

Meanwhile America just keeps signing more free trade treaties.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top