Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know how to go about installing a second battery?  There is a spot for it along with a solid + wire with slack running by the spot.  I'm assuming you just cut that cable and put on another terminal and hook the two cut pieces into it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not a fan of Chevys but I think its a good vehicle according to what friends have told me. I'd lean more towards an Excursion but thats me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im not a fan of Chevys but I think its a good vehicle according to what friends have told me. I'd lean more towards an Excursion but thats me.

We considered the Excursion but the ones that were available in my area were quite expensive!

Here are a couple exterior shots of mine

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anyone know how to go about installing a second battery?  There is a spot for it along with a solid + wire with slack running by the spot.  I'm assuming you just cut that cable and put on another terminal and hook the two cut pieces into it.

I thought that they came with 2 batts?  Mine did.

Need all them amps when you first fire it up..its like powering up the space shuttle or something...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that they came with 2 batts?  Mine did.

Need all them amps when you first fire it up..its like powering up the space shuttle or something...

I would imagine that is there for the diesel models, which do require 2 batteries.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We considered the Excursion but the ones that were available in my area were quite expensive!

www.theprepared.com/images/gear/chevy/suburban/DSC06168.JPG

www.theprepared.com/images/gear/chevy/suburban/DSC06169.JPG

2WD??

Looks terrific though. My Tahoe has been beat to hell by other drivers, and I'm really starting to wish it looked better.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would imagine that is there for the diesel models, which do require 2 batteries.

Mine is a Gasser....but it is an LT with all the bells and juice sucking whistles...heated seats are awesome, especially up here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Nice looking rig!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice ride.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
gay wheels
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2WD??

Looks terrific though. My Tahoe has been beat to hell by other drivers, and I'm really starting to wish it looked better.

I may be wrong but it looks like a 4X4 to me. Rims gotta go but it looks like a clean ride.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2WD??

I wouldnt buy a 2wd living here in WY.  This is 4wd!

I agree, the wheels are horrible.  I will get some new ones after I get the vehicle paid off at the end of summer.  Also plan on sticking some BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires on it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There's townhouses in Wyoming???
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2WD??

I agree, the wheels are horrible.  I will get some new ones after I get the vehicle paid off at the end of summer.  Also plan on sticking some BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires on it.

OK. I could have sworn I counted 5 lugs on the wheels instead of 6. Must be going blind.

You got a push-button t-case or manual shifter?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Parts are cheap when you do need them.  

Dude what are you SMOKING?  I have a 97 1500 (1/2 Ton).  I knocked the light switch off with my knee getting out the other day.

You know how much the light switch costs in a Chevy Suburban?

!!!EIGHTY F******* DOLLARS!!!.  EIGHTY BUCKS!

For a friggin light switch.

Ridulous.  Our 'Burb has 132K miles on in and seems OK but parts are *Expensive*.  Allof them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#16]
well, a year ago, my boss' wife decided her '01 yukon xl was a piece of shit and wanted a new toyota tundra.  i got a '01 yukon xl with all the bells and whistles, 103k miles, for $10k.  

runs like a top.  

love it.  bigger than delaware, actually, but a lot of fun to drive.  folks get out of your way.  have no issues with the gm vehicle, other than questionable gas mileage.  

if i get 16 i'm lucky, 18 on the highway.  but DAMN those heated seats are nice...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2WD??

OK. I could have sworn I counted 5 lugs on the wheels instead of 6. Must be going blind.

You got a push-button t-case or manual shifter?

Its push button.  I have no experience with push button 4wd so I'll see how it goes next time I'm up in the mtns or we get hit with snow.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one of the REAL Suburbans.
1990 4WD with a solid front axle.  I love this truck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nice looking rig .... congrats  

How many gallons per mile does it get ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Its push button.  I have no experience with push button 4wd so I'll see how it goes next time I'm up in the mtns or we get hit with snow.

I have that too.  It keeps the front axle engaged, so it burns a little more gas if you keep it in auto 4wd rather than 2wd, but burns less gas than keeping it in just regular 4wd.  The switching is seamless too....supposedly it takes just 1/2 turn of a slipping tire for it to kick the tcase into 4wd.  I like it.  No bump and grind, i hardly notice when it kicks in.

I kinda miss my Jeep's full time 4wd option, but the auto 4wd seems to work fine.  Sure beats reaching down to throw a lever and them waiting a minute for it to engage like in my '90 p/u.....lord I hate that system.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

p.s....I hate you..
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

p.s....I hate you..

I'll +1 that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Anyone know how to go about installing a second battery? There is a spot for it along with a solid + wire with slack running by the spot. I'm assuming you just cut that cable and put on another terminal and hook the two cut pieces into it.

I think the easiest route would be to purchase the tray, cables, et/al from GM.  I have an '00 3500 pickup, gasser with dual batteries;  Snow plow prep package.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Anyone know how to go about installing a second battery? There is a spot for it along with a solid + wire with slack running by the spot. I'm assuming you just cut that cable and put on another terminal and hook the two cut pieces into it.

I think the easiest route would be to purchase the tray, cables, et/al from GM.  I have an '00 3500 pickup, gasser with dual batteries;  Snow plow prep package.

The tray is actually already in place.  They ran a positive cable right by it with enough slack to cut it and add a battery terminal.  Looks like all I would need is a negative wire and I already have a ton of 4 guage wire to use for that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude what are you SMOKING?  I have a 97 1500 (1/2 Ton).  I knocked the light switch off with my knee getting out the other day.

Ridulous.  Our 'Burb has 132K miles on in and seems OK but parts are *Expensive*.  Allof them.

There are cheaper sources of parts.  Search the net a bit and also consider used parts (there are some used part search engines which work great).  If you can't find anything cheaper I can get you an email for a guy at a dealership who sells over the internet at around a 40 percent discount.

I find there is a fairly wide range in prices from the stealership parts departments, even around here.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are cheaper sources of parts.  Search the net a bit and also consider used parts (there are some used part search engines which work great).  If you can't find anything cheaper I can get you an email for a guy at a dealership who sells over the internet at around a 40 percent discount.

I find there is a fairly wide range in prices from the stealership parts departments, even around here.

GunLvr

Yup, the exterior door handle on the net runs $16.  At the dealership is $53
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Here is our '05 Suburban, that was made into a truck:

We love it, it rides sooooo nice!

We needed the truck bed alot more than the back bench seat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to get some tint on those front windows.

Nice ride!
Is that your boy or the red headed stepchild?

Oh one other thing look into a "leveling kit"  it will brong the front end up 2 inches with our messing uo the suspention.  I belive they are like $400 or so installed.  We will be getting one on ours soon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice ride!

Oh one other thing look into a "leveling kit"  it will brong the front end up 2 inches with our messing uo the suspention.  I belive they are like $400 or so installed.  We will be getting one on ours soon.

That would be my son

I'll look into the leveling kit.  I guess I havent noticed the front being lower than the back.  I have been looking at some small lift kits :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice ride!

That would be my son

I'll look into the leveling kit.  I guess I havent noticed the front being lower than the back.  I have been looking at some small lift kits :)

we were going to do a 2-3" lift, then i was told about the leveling kits.  It will give me the lift I want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Now I need to decide if I should go with a suspension lift or body lift.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Thank you for this thread.
I am looking into getting a used Suburban as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thank you for this thread.
I am looking into getting a used Suburban as well.

I think you'll really enjoy it.  Everytime I drive mine I like it more!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top