Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 3:13:02 PM EDT
Hi,

I am a responsible eBayer and I have 100% positive feedback.

I won an item 2 days ago from a veteran seller with an eBay store and lots of items and 96% positive feedback with over 900 replies. I was contacted by the seller yesterday with payment instructions. I am paying with a money order.

Today I check my eBay account to verify the seller's address and fill-out the money order and in the "My eBay" Summary,  under the seller's name in the "Items I've Won" Section is the following note highlighted in yellow: eBay Note: This user is no longer registered on eBay.

I emailed the seller about this, so far no response, but I'll give him/her 24-48 hours.

My initial reaction is to obviously hold onto the money order for now.
I am concerned if I don't hear from them and I decide not to pay, they will ruin my 100% positive feedback.
If I don't hear from the seller, what  should be my next move?
If they are no longer registered, can they reinstate their registration?
Has anyone experienced this?
What are my options?

Thanks,
AE
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are not a seller any more, they cannot give you negative feedback. Keep your $.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT PAY THIS PERSON UNLESS HE SENDS THE ITEM COD!

End of story

<ETA>
If he does send it COD, make sure that the box is the right size/weight and open it while the UPS/FedEX guy is standing there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
wish I could help, ebay seller here..
I would send 2 or 3 emails and copy your self to the seller,,
if it is a gun related item,,ebay may have punched thier ticket..
give them at least 72 hours, then contact ebay
atleast you didnt paypal and have to deal with that nonsence..
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd definitely wait until I heard back as well.  If it's just a clerical error or hiccup in eBay's system, a reaonable seller will understand the delay.

96% seem a little low, so maybe this guy got his account locked over one too many pissed off buyers or something?  You never know.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Hold your money. And give thanks you didnt send it.

Most likely with a feedback like that they are a phishing victim.

Move on and forget.  As they are no longer a registered used they will not be able to leave bad feedback about you anyway.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you have to not only have an account to leave feedback but also be actively involved in a transaction to leave feedback.  Sounds like youre safe.

You work for B***g, don't you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for holding your money unitl you find out what is going on.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait for contact.  Maybe COD would be best.

Email eBay as to your concern to keep your 100% status.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Some scammers will do lots of little deals to build feedback, then start hosing people.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I had almost the exact same situation happen to me. I won an auction for an A ARM for my Yamaha Raptor. The seller sent me an invoice, I got on ebay to check the sellers address and it indicated that the seller was no longer a registered user. I emailed ebay for asome advise, because with out being registered, there is no feedback or recourse. Ebay basically said use my own judgement, but to be very cautious. I emailed the seller and told them I wasn't paying and why, never heard from them again.
My advise=DON'T PAY.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Contact them via their regular email address.

I had a buyer get banned for a month for selling gun parts and thats the same message I got about him.  He was still there and I just had to email him.  It was a 30 day slap on the wrist, nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 for holding your $.
Google the seller's name, email address etc, see if you turn anything up.
If you must send money use a credit card on paypal, then you can reverse it if you get ripped off.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
this screams shady.  hold your $ until you AT LEAST get an answer from the seller
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem is, you're using eBay
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, and why?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a registered user means he can't leave any feedback for anyone.

If you really want the item, hang on to your money order.  You will likely be contacted by the original seller to make arrangements for the transaction.  At that point, you'll have to go with your gut feeling.

I personally wouldn't do this type of transaction (for anything over $50) without actually speaking to the seller on the phone and obtaining a verifiable mailing address for the payment (no PO boxes, etc.)  Otherwise, I really wouldn't worry about it too much.  He probably violated some Ebay rule which caused the closing of his account.  It happens all the time.  I've been threatened by Ebay before, but I would never screw over another member.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and why?  

Beats me. With their 'no firearm or related stuff' policy', it's a mystery why any arfcommer would.  Don't use it myself, and I also don't use site with PayPal-fronted CC payment systems, let alone a PayPal account.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and why?  

Beats me. With their 'no firearm or related stuff' policy', it's a mystery why any arfcommer would.  Don't use it myself, and I also don't use site with PayPal-fronted CC payment systems, let alone a PayPal account.  Do you work for them?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and why?  

Beats me. With their 'no firearm or related stuff' policy', it's a mystery why any arfcommer would.  Don't use it myself, and I also don't use site with PayPal-fronted CC payment systems, let alone a PayPal account.  Do you work for them?

Yeah, Ebay's anti-gun policy sucks, however if you're a savvy shopper (or seller), there is much to gain from Ebay.  I have completed tens of thousands of dollars worth of transactions on Ebay in the last few years without a hitch.  Some of the things I have sold on Ebay would have never sold locally for the same amount of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top