User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Unless the options are reload vs go work for pay, your labor has no value.
It is still cheaper to reload the stuff.

Now that is a bunch of bullshit.

Of course labor has value, everything has value.

If you are stuck in the basement reloading instead of playing outside with your kids, your labor definitely has value.
If you are stuck in the basement reloading while your wife is pissed upstairs that you don't spend any time with her, your labor definitely has value.
If you are stuck in the basement reloading instead of doing something productive or educational, of course your labor has value.

Let's say you make $40 per hour. Do you play with your kids for 3 hours and then say "Damn, it cost me $120 to play with my kids." Do you calculate the amout of money it costs you to spend time with your wife watching Desperate Housewives? How much does that good 8 hours of sleep cost you? $320 every night???

No, of course not. Same with reloading. It is a hobby you spend time doing becuase you want to and not becuase you have to. Brickeye's point was unless you preempt work time for reloading, the time is not costing you any money.

It's called opportunity cost.  Not necessarily the cost in dollars but rather the cost in terms of what you could have done instead.  What opportunity did you forgo?  If you (and others for sure) enjoy it as a hobby I say that's great and it would definitely help with making it seem worthwhile.
But for me and maybe a few others there are things they might rather do with their time.
Like, for me I'd rather mountain bike, kayak or climb a 14er than reload.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are stuck in the basement reloading instead of playing outside with your kids, your labor definitely has value.
If you are stuck in the basement reloading while your wife is pissed upstairs that you don't spend any time with her, your labor definitely has value.
If you are stuck in the basement reloading instead of doing something productive or educational, of course your labor has value.

Let's say you make $40 per hour. Do you play with your kids for 3 hours and then say "Damn, it cost me $120 to play with my kids." Do you calculate the amout of money it costs you to spend time with your wife watching Desperate Housewives? How much does that good 8 hours of sleep cost you? $320 every night???

No, of course not. Same with reloading. It is a hobby you spend time doing becuase you want to and not becuase you have to. Brickeye's point was unless you preempt work time for reloading, the time is not costing you any money.

It's called opportunity cost.  Not necessarily the cost in dollars but rather the cost in terms of what you could have done instead.  What opportunity did you forgo?  If you (and others for sure) enjoy it as a hobby I say that's great and it would definitely help with making it seem worthwhile.
But for me and maybe a few others there are things they might rather do with their time.

Ok, let's set the stage: It's Monday night, your kids are asleep, your wife is about to watch "chick TV", it's dark outside, the bills are paid. You can watch "chick TV" or go do something else.

I choose to have "me" time in the garage with just me and Mr. Dillon. Nothing better than turning out 500 .223 rounds all by yourself on a Monday night.

ETA: If you don't enjoy reloading.... Don't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I enjoy reloading but couldn't pass up a recent deal on cheap Russian .223 ammo for $96.00 a 1000. Perfect for plinking.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would rather reload than do all that shit bud.

More time at the range = Zen to me.

The point is "Agree to disagree".
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would rather reload than do all that shit bud.

More time at the range = Zen to me.

The point is "Agree to disagree".

I really don't even think we're disagreeing to be honest.

Since you enjoy the time spent, that makes it worthwhile to you.  Since it would seem like work to me and I'd rather do something else (maybe even shooting at the range), it's not worth it to me.

I just think that it isn't cost effective with common, surplus calibers so it's probably only worth it if you enjoy it...which many of you do.  So it's an enjoyable hobby.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if you're talking about bump firing- no, but if you want to practice shooting accurately, you can reload decent loads that shoot more like the good stuff for much cheaper than the good stuff costs

HOLY SHIT!!!

You do post some useful information here.

Color me suprised.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a single stage rockchucker.

I only load match ammo or special ammo, (tracer in .223 or .308, and other .308 like hunting rounds)

I load match ammo in both .223 and .308

It's a hobby, but at what my time would cost for .223 plinking ammo, I can't get there.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He never mentioned costing you any money, he said value.  Let me quote him:  "your labor has no value."  That is what I called BS on, your labor certainly can have value as I demostrated in the post you quoted.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top