BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 12:49:02 PM EDT
Daniels OKs gun bills
By JENNIFER WHITSON
Courier & Press Indianapolis bureau
(317) 631-7405 or [email protected]
March 22, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels signed two bills pushed by gun-rights advocates in a brief Statehouse ceremony Tuesday.

One change, effective July 1, will allow gun owners to get a lifetime carrying permit. Under current law, if gun owners want to carry their guns, they must apply for a carrying permit, pay a $25 fee and renew the permit every four years.

The new law, which was sponsored by state Rep. Troy Woodruff, R-Vincennes, allows current permit holders to pay $100 to convert to a lifetime, unlimited carrying permit. A new lifetime carrying permit would cost $125. Owners could also still opt to get a four-year permit, but the act increases the price to $40.

The cost for a lifetime qualified license, issued for hunting and target practice, will be $60 to convert an existing license and $75 for a new lifetime license.

Gun rights advocates backed the bill and said Indiana would be the first state in the nation with a lifetime carrying permit. Several proponents, including roughly 35 people from 2nd

Comments (12) | Trackback (0)
Amendment Patriots in Southwestern Indiana, came to the Statehouse for a Tuesday signing ceremony with the governor.

"This is really a big deal," said Steve McBrian of Boonville, who is also running for the House District 74 seat.

Thomas Weddle of Fort Branch made the trip with his wife and five children.

"I came up for my children to see government in action and how citizens can make a difference by representing their beliefs to the Legislature," Weddle said.

Jim Tomes, leader of the group, said the legislation passed this year was the most progress the state has seen on gun rights in years.

"This year, by far, we have the most spectacular goals we've accomplished," Tomes said.

The bill also requires the Indiana State Police to set up an online application process and participate in the National Instate Criminal Background Check System if federal funds are available to pay for the changes.

The second bill adds a provision on using force for self defense, stating that a person does not have a duty to retreat before using reasonable force to protect himself or another person who is in danger.

The amended law also now states that a person does not have a duty to first try to flee before using deadly force to defend against someone breaking into his home or car.

Representatives from national gun rights groups also attended the ceremony. Daniels said that with the deadline for signing bills into laws, he can only spare enough time to do ceremonies for the most noteworthy.

"For those of us who believe the 2nd Amendment means exactly what is says ... this is exactly the kind of step we need to take," Daniels said.

www.courierpress.com/ecp/news/article/0,1626,ECP_734_4560479,00.html
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh...Hells....Yeah.  Now is MN would do the same......
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
w00t!  

<--------    Another reason to move one state east in the near future!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
"step by step"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW!

Nice work Indiana!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice. I wonder why they want CPLs/CCLs to be renewed so often in most states. Seems like it would be a much cheaper and more efficient system if they lasted a while longer. Or if there was no need for a permit....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Hot damn now I have to get back home to renew now as I expired last month ( and No I am not violating the Law) so I can convert July 1.
Some people don't like Daniels but if he can make Billions off the Indiana toll road rights, and give us life time CCW. All I have to say is HELL YES

Just read the full text of the first post as I had been following the life carry bill. Takes the wind out of the sails of the Libtards who have been pushing local regs. on CCW and home defence and retreating first.
Hey all you IL folks
1st eat your heart out
2nd This is a result of the public makes it's voice heard in the state house, those of you in the lower 2/3 of the state need to get busy.
3rd The offer still stands if they pass the 'ban for the placing of a safe at my Residence, we just have to work out a proper rental agreement.
4th I have to get busy on the C&R and a class three God I love my state. If I could spend more time there.
Hum a new business comes to mind, a hardened warehouse for all the gun safes. Wonder how many I could get in a building next to my house?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If only I lived in IN.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome.

It's shameful to every other state that IN lead
the way in this.

I wish the TX .gov had the same balls.......

It hurts me to say it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I needed some good news after reading about those cunts in CA disgracing our military, country, etc., etc.  Fucktards.

Anyway, nice work IN!!

w00t!

--VT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Governor Daniels just went up a notch on my list.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
awesome !!!!
Wish it was in Md.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I am just so damned happy. I almost pissed myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top