Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 11:40:23 AM EDT
I am thinking about storing some water and want to make sure I am not putting too much weight on concrete.....

500 gal tank weighs about 100 lbs.  Water weight is 8.33lbs/gal.  Total weight is 4265lbs.

Container diameter is 45.5 inches = radius of 22.75ins.

Total area = 3.14*((22.75in))squared = 1625 sq inches

4265lbs/1553 sq inches = 2.62lbs/sq inch.

No big deal, right?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you know  how thick the concrete is? What is below it? Your flood insurance up to date? lol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you know  how thick the concrete is?

This is the big question....

If its more than 2 inches thick you should be fine.  How are you going to secure the tank to the concrete?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you know  how thick the concrete is? What is below it? Your flood insurance up to date? lol.

Planning on putting in the garage.  Compacted dirt below.  If it sprung a leak it would flow out.

Now that I think of it.  It certainly can't be too heavy.  My 6000lb SUV sits on tires that are no where near 1625 sq in footprints.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If its more than 2 inches thick you should be fine.  How are you going to secure the tank to the concrete?

What are you worried about someone throwing 4 thousands pounds of water on their back and carrying it off?

BTW I would say you are safe to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would guess the garage would be 4 inches thick, right?

I don't think I will have to secure the tank.  It is 82 inches high, with a diameter of 45.5 inches.  Has a flat bottom so wouldn't it just sit on a flat, concrete surface okay?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What are you worried about someone throwing 4 thousands pounds of water on their back and carrying it off?  

Unsecured stuff disappears all the time, for one.

Also, It may weigh 100lbs empty but if you put enough wind behind it, the tank could become a 100lb missle.  

Secure your stuff.

Edit:

I don't think I will have to secure the tank. It is 82 inches high, with a diameter of 45.5 inches. Has a flat bottom so wouldn't it just sit on a flat, concrete surface okay?

If its in your garage, I wouldnt bother securing it.  Outside is a different story.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Cocnrete thickness and reinforcing are the next questions.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW I would say you are safe to go with it.

Also, It may weigh 100lbs empty but if you put enough wind behind it, the tank could become a 100lb missle.  

Secure your stuff.

NM, your edit took care of the issue.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
So you worried about your water tank when there enought wind to make a missile

It will be in his garage, if that happend I would be more woried about find a new roof to live under
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Secure your stuff.

Edit:

I don't think I will have to secure the tank. It is 82 inches high, with a diameter of 45.5 inches. Has a flat bottom so wouldn't it just sit on a flat, concrete surface okay?

If its in your garage, I wouldnt bother securing it.  Outside is a different story.

Yep, I agree.  It would be easy for some thief to empty the water and haul it off if it was outside.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Another concern....

A 55 gal plastic water drum/barrel has a shipping weight of 23 lbs.....

This container holds 500 gals and has a shipping weight of 100 lbs....

Doesn't that seem kind of lightweight in comparison?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top