Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 8:13:56 AM EDT
So I got a good deal on a pistol (compact 45) that I've been wanting to try out, only problem is that there isn’t a FFL dealer in this Town that will transfer it from a dealer in South Dakota for me.  These so called Gun Shops all tell me they don’t do Internet stuff. I try to explain to them that I didn’t buy from an individual, but from an actual Gun Shop that holds a FFL and still they refuse to help. They say they have received letters from the ATF advising against any gun purchase transfers out of state from the Internet due to possible terrorism threat. Are these Gun Shops STUPID? Do they not know that they are just being intimidated buy the ATF for a different kind of gun control. I am not a terrorist, I am white and lived in this community for 20 years.  I don’t know maybe its because that I haven’t bought any of there crummy “hunting” shotguns or “hunting” rifles, not that there’s any thing wrong with hunting it’s just that if you ask for any thing like an AR or AK you get the “What ya need that fur?”  question that I hear so often. It must be this area but if a gun holds more than 6 rounds then it’s EVIL. So anyway does any one know of a good FFL dealer say in the Knoxville to Morristown TN area that will handle a transfer without trying to rob you at the same time?  I have been considering trying to get my FFL’s, so I don’t have to put up with SHEEP in men’s clothing any more. The only place I really get to look at or buy anything that is AR related is when I get it from the EE. I’m stuck here at work and can’t go out and find any shops. Any help on finding an FFL dealer or Info on getting a FFL would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
They say they have received letters from the ATF advising against any gun purchase transfers out of state from the Internet due to possible terrorism threat. Are these Gun Shops STUPID? Do they not know that they are just being intimidated buy the ATF for a different kind of gun control.  

I don't believe there is ANY such letter from the ATF.  At least I haven't seen one.

My guess is they are just lying to you to protect their own business.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They say they have received letters from the ATF advising against any gun purchase transfers out of state from the Internet due to possible terrorism threat. Are these Gun Shops STUPID? Do they not know that they are just being intimidated buy the ATF for a different kind of gun control.  

I don't believe there is ANY such letter from the ATF.  At least I haven't seen one.

My guess is they are just lying to you to protect their own business.

I've seen no such letter as an FFL.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
There are still some good FFL's left.  Virginia Arms comes to mind.  Thats a local place around me, very good people to deal with.  My guess is the shops around you are afraid they will lose money by doing internet transfers.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I hit the same wall last night.  My gun shop will axccept transfers from individuals, but will not supply a copy of FFL for sellers records.

"Yeah, just mail it to this address.  No, really, its a gun shop!"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]
They probably want you to buy from them. Your getting the deal, they are getting the paperwork probably for a 20-30 buck transfer fee. Sorry for getting so hypocrittical, must be old age or something.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They probably want you to buy from them. Your getting the deal, they are getting the paperwork probably for a 20-30 buck transfer fee. Sorry for getting so hypocrittical, must be old age or something.

yeah, pretty obvious.

They would rather order the .45 and then have you buy it from them and they can make their share.  Not making really anything on transfers, the one place here in NW Houston I used to use charged $25 for a transfer and were usually dicks about it if they saw you only came in to pick up a transfer, and not look at their stuff.  Kind of gave the impression that it's a pain in the ass for them, and then realize when they look at the receipt in the box, the K31 I just bought from AIM surplus was $89 plus shipping, in better condition than the $200 K31 hanging on their wall.

They realize that the internet is slowly fazing out the local gun shop.  Everything Gun related can generally now be found cheaper, that's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No, they are not STUPID, they are ASSHOLES. BATF Has never sent out any letters regarding terrorism and firearm transfers. Only Letter they ever sent was in regards to powder purchases and to be aware of any unusual quantities or persons that don't appear to have any reloading knowlege buying quanities.

They simply don't want your transfer business. Run your zipcode on Gunbroker.com and see if a transfering dealer close to you comes up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually aren’t they hurting their business, if there business sold the things I was looking for or even offered them I would buy there. They will make money off the transfer fees of the countless guns they could transfer in. I would understand if I was trying to have something transferred that they had in stock but that is simply not the case.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hit the same wall last night.  My gun shop will axccept transfers from individuals, but will not supply a copy of FFL for sellers records.

"Yeah, just mail it to this address.  No, really, its a gun shop!"

Wow, that just seems to be a whole new level of stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually aren’t they hurting their business, if there business sold the things I was looking for or even offered them I would buy there. They will make money off the transfer fees of the countless guns they could transfer in. I would understand if I was trying to have something transferred that they had in stock but that is simply not the case.  

I agree with you. When I have done a couple transfers, I usually buy $30 bucks of ammo from the dealer as a courtesy for taking the time to help me out. It sounds like these dealers which the original poster is dealing with are full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They realize that the internet is slowly fazing out the local gun shop.  Everything Gun related can generally now be found cheaper, that's just the way it is.

Until there are no FFLs left to receive the transfers.

Number of Gun Dealers in U.S. Drops Almost 80 Percent—From 245,628 to 54,902—Since 1994, New VPC Report Reveals

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So I got a good deal on a pistol (compact 45) that I've been wanting to try out, only problem is that there isn’t a FFL dealer in this Town that will transfer it from a dealer in South Dakota for me.  These so called Gun Shops all tell me they don’t do Internet stuff. I try to explain to them that I didn’t buy from an individual, but from an actual Gun Shop that holds a FFL and still they refuse to help. They say they have received letters from the ATF advising against any gun purchase transfers out of state from the Internet due to possible terrorism threat. Are these Gun Shops STUPID? Do they not know that they are just being intimidated buy the ATF for a different kind of gun control. I am not a terrorist, I am white and lived in this community for 20 years.  I don’t know maybe its because that I haven’t bought any of there crummy “hunting” shotguns or “hunting” rifles, not that there’s any thing wrong with hunting it’s just that if you ask for any thing like an AR or AK you get the “What ya need that fur?”  question that I hear so often. It must be this area but if a gun holds more than 6 rounds then it’s EVIL. So anyway does any one know of a good FFL dealer say in the Knoxville to Morristown TN area that will handle a transfer without trying to rob you at the same time?  I have been considering trying to get my FFL’s, so I don’t have to put up with SHEEP in men’s clothing any more. The only place I really get to look at or buy anything that is AR related is when I get it from the EE. I’m stuck here at work and can’t go out and find any shops. Any help on finding an FFL dealer or Info on getting a FFL would be appreciated.

Paragraphs are your friend...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#14]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
They realize that the internet is slowly fazing out the local gun shop. Everything Gun related can generally now be found cheaper, that's just the way it is.
Until there are no FFLs left to receive the transfers.
Number of Gun Dealers in U.S. Drops Almost 80 Percent—From 245,628 to 54,902—Since 1994, New VPC Report Reveals

Then the libs will be happy!
I checked Gunbroker.com and found a few names but I will not be able to check them out till this weekend. Thanks Guys
Any one know how hard it is to get an FFL in TN ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#15]
With the renewel of my FFL this year. I had to sign a notorized document stating that I had to be a dick to all customers wanting cheap transfers.. As to the terrorism letter, Ill see if I can dig it up and scan it..
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]

I am not a terrorist, I am white and lived in this community for 20 years

Am I the only one who found that comment unroariously funny?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am not a terrorist, I am white and lived in this community for 20 years

Am I the only one who found that comment unroariously funny?

Yes. I did note it with some mild amusement though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I have not seen any such letters or guidance. If you live in VA, I can help with Title 1 and 2 xfers.

Shameless plug

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Most of the FFLs around here are good guys. There are some real shitheads out there though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I like my FFL, the FFL is a sideline for him,he loves any transfer he can get.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
There is a local dealer here who charges about $35.00 for a transfer, but then tries to add sales tax to the total that you paid for it.  I wouldn't mind buying from the local shops if their prices weren't so rediculous.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I live next to an FFL. He deals out of his dining room. Low fees and he holds my guns while I'm at college until I come home. I love my FFL. I went to grade school with his daughter. She's a looker!

Find someone local and is NOT a store front. Give him as much business as you can afford and as many referrals as you have friends. Within a few months, you'll find your FFL liking you and cutting you some pretty sweet deals thus saving you money in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Find someone local..... Give him as much business as you can afford and as many referrals as you have friends. Within a few months, you'll find your FFL liking you and cutting you some pretty sweet deals thus saving you money in the long run.

exactly
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Ask your HTF for suggestions of an FFL to use or lookup FFL's on the online firearms auction sites.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I have heard of no such letter from the ATF either.  We just incorporate the internet as a giant warehouse and charge $50.00 per transfer( high property taxes ).

I think they are just afraid ofthis new sales medium.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no problem with 20 or 30 bucks for a transfer because my local gun shop is in business to make money. I WANT them to stay in business. If they refused, I'd spend NOTHING there tho because they know I always peruse the shop at least once a week and I buy there also.

I am cheesed at one of the local FFLs I've done business with in the PAST tho. He gave my personal  info [name address, phone#, company cell,] to his sister who sells insurance. I had to deal with some bitch who was trying to sell me whole life and everything else under the sun when I already have a better policy then she could EVER offer. Won't be doing any more business with him unfortunately, as I consider that a breach of business ettiquete. [Numbers were NOT listed BTW]. He'll probably lose a fair amount as part of his business WAS receiving new and used firearms for customer, and his firearms stock is quite small.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#29]
It took me nearly 2 years to find a good ffl dealer.  I support his business 100% am a loyal customer.

Where are the friendly transfer ffls?  Gosh, I know I have sent and received numerous firearms via my ffl.  The others who were a$$holes, tried to rip me off for $50 per transfer, and didn't care about my business, can kick themselves for thier bad business practice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It depends. I worked at a shop that did transfers but it was really more of a service to our better customers. It was a time consuming PITA for the most part and not worth the $25. In many cases it impeded our operations dealing with 5-15 transfers a day when we had our own stock to get on the shelves.

Between the 5 or more consignment guns comming daily, the 5-10 or so trades comming in and the 10-25 guns = holsters, ammo and eveything else coming in, a $25 transfer was a hinderance and often times we did not do them. We were still smart in that we were cool witha  few other shops, we sent them there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I live next to an FFL. He deals out of his dining room. Low fees and he holds my guns while I'm at college until I come home. I love my FFL. I went to grade school with his daughter. She's a looker!

Find someone local and is NOT a store front. Give him as much business as you can afford and as many referrals as you have friends. Within a few months, you'll find your FFL liking you and cutting you some pretty sweet deals thus saving you money in the long run.

I hope I'm wrong but I thought you had to have a store front (with regular business hours) in order to get a ffl.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they are not STUPID, they are ASSHOLES. BATF Has never sent out any letters regarding terrorism and firearm transfers. Only Letter they ever sent was in regards to powder purchases and to be aware of any unusual quantities or persons that don't appear to have any reloading knowlege buying quanities.

They simply don't want your transfer business. Run your zipcode on Gunbroker.com and see if a transfering dealer close to you comes up.

+1 on the comment above

I raise the flag    (for your FFL) for the story he told you.

Been a FFL for years and no such letter exists.

They simply don't want to do transfers, which is fine but they don't need to lie about it.

Find someone who does or special order it from a local gunstore that doesn't lie to you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Find someone local..... Give him as much business as you can afford and as many referrals as you have friends. Within a few months, you'll find your FFL liking you and cutting you some pretty sweet deals thus saving you money in the long run.

exactly

That is what my best customers do to me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm sick of going to gunstores/pawn shops and having them tell me:

A.) We don't do out of shop tranfers (Fuck you, good bye.).
B.) $40+ for each transfer (Thanks, but no thanks.).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm sick of going to gunstores/pawn shops and having them tell me:

A.) We don't do out of shop tranfers (Fuck you, good bye.).
B.) $40+ for each transfer (Thanks, but no thanks.).

Get your own FFL and put them out of business.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#37]
My FFL is actually a place that sells body piercing jewelry on the internet that happens to have a FFL.  I don't have to worry about them wanting me to buy from them because they don't have anything to sell me!  They are really nice people too.  If you are in the SLC, UT area, I highly recommend Pro X Inc.  $20 for transfers, easy and efficient.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#38]

What kind of reception would you get if you went into a new car dealer and asked them to register the car you just purchased on line? After all, they do register cars as a service to folks who purchased cars from them. Should they be compelled to register your car for you, for the price you want to pay.

Most shops are in business to sell guns, not to transfer them. Most shops that do transfers, consider it a service, not a revenue stream. If you have a dealer who wants more than you are ready to pay for a transfer, do what you would do with anything else.......take your business elsewhere.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it (actually I charge a very reasonable amount for transfers), but just because some one has an FFL doesn't mean they have to do transfers of items they didn't sell. They have no obligation what so ever and crying about it on the internet is sad.

And to answer your question, there are good FFLs out there but as many as there used to be. You have Bill Clinton to thank for that.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

And to answer your question, there are good FFLs out there but as many as there used to be. You have Bill Clinton to thank for that.

Bomber

Isn't THAT the truth.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope I'm wrong but I thought you had to have a store front (with regular business hours) in order to get a ffl.

NO! There are plenty of home dealers - it just has to be okay with your local zoning. So, most urban areas will have stricter zoning and not allow home-based businesses, but some rural counties/cities have no zoning, thus no restrictions.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
So I got a good deal on a pistol (compact 45) that I've been wanting to try out, only problem is that there isn’t a FFL dealer in this Town that will transfer it from a dealer in South Dakota for me.  These so called Gun Shops all tell me they don’t do Internet stuff. I try to explain to them that I didn’t buy from an individual, but from an actual Gun Shop that holds a FFL and still they refuse to help. They say they have received letters from the ATF advising against any gun purchase transfers out of state from the Internet due to possible terrorism threat.

Wowsers! That's one hell of a line!

Are these Gun Shops STUPID? Do they not know that they are just being intimidated buy the ATF for a different kind of gun control.

The BATFE has NEVER written such a letter. In fact, the last letter I remember is the one where the BATFE allows faxing of FFL licenses specifically to facilitate transfers between states.

Generally the best way to handle transfers is to cultivate a relationship with a particular FFL and to give him lots of buisness. Then he will most likely handle whatever you want no problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#42]

The BATFE has NEVER written such a letter. In fact, the last letter I remember is the one where the BATFE allows faxing of FFL licenses specifically to facilitate transfers between states.

The last one was information on the new enlarged FFL number to increase legibility of the FFL number on fax copies.

Generally the best way to handle transfers is to cultivate a relationship with a particular FFL and to give him lots of buisness. Then he will most likely handle whatever you want no problem.

absolutely!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
We all know Timothy McVeigh was blue.

We all know Timothy McVeigh was a patsy to Arabs.
Sheesh, Ed, don't you even read ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:23:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I finally had to call bullshi'ite on my regular FFL dealer. I went in to schedule a transfer from out of state and he told me that he would need a copy of the invoice for his records, new BATFE rule, blah blah blah...

THEN when the gun came in (P220 cop trade-in) he said "that'll be $20 for the transfer AND $40 for sales tax. New BATFE ruling, I have to book it into MY inventory and then sell it to YOU, blah, blah, blah..."

I said wow, that's news to me! I'll check this out with Vern Wilson (not his real name), my buddy over at the state tax commission audit unit and see what he says about it, and then I left the store...

...Came back the next day and told the FFL, "Vern said that I was supposed to declare the purchase on a state user tax form and that you had no right to book anything I purchased into your inventory. Vern wil be in contact with you in the next couple of weeks to go over your BATFE ruling and clarify some state sales tax issues with you...

It did cost me the sales tax, which had to be paid directly to the state for an out of state purchase, but it burned the FFL's tale and cost him a tax audit. He shouldn't have told people lies...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top