Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:06 AM EDT
May have one, may need surgery. I won't find out for sure until next week. Anyone been down this road?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:42:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By METT-T:
May have one, may need surgery. I won't find out for sure until next week. Anyone been down this road?

Gravity Tester....BIG TIME. Screwed it up in a motorcycle accident.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:43:14 AM EDT
Yes, I've torn the ACL in both knees. I hate to say it but it is not good. Lots of therapy and pain .

Sorry to hear that

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:45:53 AM EDT
I do 3-5 ACL reconstructions a month. PM me if you have any questions
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:47:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 6:50:45 AM EDT by tankdriver]
Right knee, no fun...

Drugs are good though......

You can take a trip, and never leave you recliner.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:50:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:54:34 AM EDT
Close, tore my MCL.

Either way, it sucks. I don't recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:55:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:07:10 AM EDT
So what level of functionality did you guys recover? 100%? Still have to nurse it sometimes?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:07:39 AM EDT
I had a complete tear 12 years ago. The way Drs go about the surgery and rehab now is much better.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:13:04 AM EDT
sister had one tear. she had some ligament from her thigh or butt or something transplanted to her knee. then my wife had her's torn attempting-i say attempting-to ski. she had a cadaver (sp?) ligament put in and her recovery time was a lot faster than my sister's. just my .02

jake
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:45:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 7:47:23 AM EDT by timb3]
My wife had one. Fell off her bike. NOT fun for her to deal with. She had to have surgery. Huge scar. The best thing I can tell you would be to do a google search on the subject. There is at least one BBS where people discuss knee issues that is really good, but I can't remember for sure what it was called. Maybe something like the "knee guru" or something. Good luck getting it fixed okay!!!

Edited to add that she's fine now except for occational minor pain. But it's been several years since it happened. Like others said, there's lots of therapy involved.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:12:31 AM EDT
i did worse. Complete separation of quadriceps.

Ouch.

I did make a complete recovery.

Working hard in PT is what it takes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:31:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:34:20 AM EDT
Have not torn anything but found I yesterday I have arthritis in my left knee. I thought something was torn and I originally injured that knee 25 years ago snow skiing. Doc says that started me towards what I have now.

It hurts, damn it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:39:39 AM EDT
I tore mine last August, didn't have it fixed until after Thanksgiving. I am 4-months post op. I had the cadavore(sp) method. The first two weeks are brutil, I tore mine dirtbiking, which is kinda common. I have been rehabing like a crazy man, weight lifing, biking, running. Ok I did all these things before I got hurt so it is nothing new for me. The exercise bike will be your friend, it will take a week or two of theropy until you feel comfortable making full rotations. If you have the space available I would buy one, I did and I rode it every morning and night 20-30 minutes each. Right now I am probably 80%, my doctor told me it would take a year of solid rehab andtraining for it to be the same as it was before. The scares are small I have two larger incissions where they attached it and four smaller ones where they looked at it through the scope.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:42:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 8:46:07 AM EDT by EdAvilaSr]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:42:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:52:18 AM EDT
I tore up a lot of cartiledge in my left knee wrestling in high school one time. They first thought it was my ACL but luckily it wasn't as bad. Had orthoscopic surgery to remove the torn tissue. The exercise bike is where it's at when you're in therapy. And don't get lazy with it afterwards. Best advice I can give you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:07:05 AM EDT
Docs around here see alot of them. Come on over and you can rehab your knee while I rehab my hand.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 12:02:31 PM EDT by scrum]
I tore my left ACL a few years back. Complete replacement. Painful but better than an unstable knee.

I tore my right ACL a month ago. I tore the MCL along with it, so I am rehabbing it before surgery to cut recovery time.

I got hit by a drunk driver when I was in college and the impact punched my knees and back pretty bad, on top of years of playing hockey and rugby, so my body is a bit abused. I've had quite a few arthroscopic surgeries, but this will be my second ACL replacement coming up.

The key is finding a good surgeon. Some orthopedic surgeons specialize in different things knees, hips, geriatric replacements, etc. If you are an athlete/weekend warrior, you probably want to go to someone who does a lot of sports repair. Sports repair docs will also put you in sports rehab instead of geriatric rehab - A good PT will make a big difference in recovery time and pain management.

Some docs give you a spinal tap and let you stay awake to watch - Not my idea of a good time, just knock me out. Some docs also think giving you pics or video of the inside of your body is neat - it might be educational, but it's weird seeing hex bolts drilled into your femur.

ETA: My left knee is super stable and strong now. Full range of motion and strength. I cannot wait until my right knee works again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:29:04 PM EDT
Tore mt right ACL and lost 46% of the cartilidge. Hurts like a motha! What ever you do, elect the cadaver ACL.
You should have 3 choices. A graft from your ham string. A graft from your patelar tendon. Or a cadaver's ACL. I elected the patelar tendon because the cadaver creeped me out. Looking back I shoulda let the cadaver take the pain because I think most of my pain was from the graft. If not for the graft it woulda been just a small incission. On top of that the graft scar keeps me from kneeling on that knee without any pain from now on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:04:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tac45:
Tore mt right ACL and lost 46% of the cartilidge. Hurts like a motha! What ever you do, elect the cadaver ACL.
You should have 3 choices. A graft from your ham string. A graft from your patelar tendon. Or a cadaver's ACL. I elected the patelar tendon because the cadaver creeped me out. Looking back I shoulda let the cadaver take the pain because I think most of my pain was from the graft. If not for the graft it woulda been just a small incission. On top of that the graft scar keeps me from kneeling on that knee without any pain from now on.

Cadaver grafts, especially the patellar tendon allograft, became quite popular the past 2 years. Problem is two fold:

One, there is a change of disease transmission from the host donor. There was a case of tissue harvested from a donor who died of rabies. Rabies was not part of the tissue screen at the time. 7 people contracted rabies and died from the various tissue harvested and used. There is also a high incident of sterile effusions(unexplained continuous knee swelling) after using the patellar tendon allograft which may be a host vs graft reaction. It does not seem to occur when using cadaveric grafts such as anterior tibialis, hamstring, or achilles.

Two, hospitals/surgery centers are no longer being well reimbursed for the usage of cadaveric allograft tissues. Many are requiring the patient to buy the graft themselves, so as not to have to keep a stock of the expensive tissues in their freezers. This is b/c insurance companies now are not wanting to pay for the added costs of the graft (your own tissues are FREE).
Top Top