Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The Best Buy manager called back, and says the loss prevention woman has been known to be a bit "heavy handed" as she is former military.  He is going to speak to her - again.  I wonder what her screen name is, and if she's posted yet about the jerk (me) who would not submit to her checkpoint.

He also asks me to introduce myself the next time I'm in there, and he'll see what he can do for me, whatever that means.

Anyway thats the end of this episode.

Next time, I'm going to make a run for it, and maybe I'll get the Smitty treatment when I arrive at my garage!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ever been to Fry's? They are the Nazis of door checkpoints.

when they try and check ur receipt, run, run as fast as u can to ur car.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I refused to show my reciept once at Best Buy (just ignored the checker & blew by) and they, along with the store's square badge actually followed me to my car in the parking lot.

They never touched me, but they verbally harassed me up until the moment I drove out of ear shot.

They made all kinds of vague threats that I was going to have to "answer to the authorties", and that this was a "huge mistake that I will regret", but in the end they were full of shit, and nothing ever happened.  

Questions to ask:

1. Are you acusing me of stealing?
2. Are you detaining me?

When they say "no". Tell them to get out of your way and have a nice day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
BEST BUY SUCKS.....SUCKS.....SUCKS!!!  Did I make that clear?  SOB's.
You could stop to purchase a pack of batteries and they ask you all sorts of questions.....AFTER you stand in a line that is WAY too long.  Best Buy.....hundred of customers and only two #@$%#@ registers open.  Then this crap.

"Your phone number please".  >> I don't give out my phone number.
"Okay.  Your zip code please".  >>  Just ring the item please, I'm in a hurry.

Then your on your way out and they stop you AGAIN to check your receipt.  FUCK OFF BY NOW!

RESOLUTION?  Don't shop at Best Buy anymore.  Asswipes.    
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Papers please?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
YAWN

My, aren't we all SPECIAL.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I refused to show my reciept once at Best Buy (just ignored the checker & blew by) and they, along with the store's square badge actually followed me to my car in the parking lot.

They never touched me, but they verbally harassed me up until the moment I drove out of ear shot.

They made all kinds of vague threats that I was going to have to "answer to the authorties", and that this was a "huge mistake that I will regret", but in the end they were full of shit, and nothing ever happened.  

Questions to ask:

1. Are you acusing me of stealing?
2. Are you detaining me?

When they say "no". Tell them to get out of your way and have a nice day.

I did answer them at one point, telling them that they knew full well that I did not steal anything (the checker was like 10 feet from the cashier when I made the purchase), and to stop wasting their time & mine. I also said that if they were really accusing me of stealing, then they better get busy calling the police.

They never actually got in my way or impeeded my egress... they just followed behind me the whole time, yapping like little bitches!  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe we should blame the scumbags of society that actually make theis nonsense needed?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#11]
At this point, you should know that Best Buy is run by nazis.  If you go in, expect everything short of the body cavity search.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
as much of a hassle as it is-you know that half the store would walk out with 5 finger discounts if they were not there.  Scumbags live to find ways to steal, plunder, snatch and grab, violates anything they can.  I thnks most people here just know better than to even consider it, therfore making their presence ....offensive?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I need a shirt that says:

"Leave me alone, I post on ARFCOM"

or hows this:

"Show me your tits, and I'll show you my receipt"

I can just see those man boobs fly now...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You Stared her down?  Then you are surprised that she tought you were suspiscious?

Damn man, relax.

Let her do her job, loss prevention LOWERS your cost for the items that you buy.

Find another hill to die on, this one is jsut stupid.

TRG

TRG - I need to increase my post count...  I still get no respect with less than 500...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I wanna see some of you hard chargers blow through a TSA security checkpoint at your local airport if you have real balls!!  

They treat everyone like a terrorist!  
Post pics too of course.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
How about I just write "FUCK YOU" on the receipt before I hit the checkpoint?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Being late is no excuse as you could have skipped you Consumer Electronics purchase if you had wanted to.  It's a stupid policy but you are being just as bad with your response.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I know a lot of places mark your receipt with a highlighter or something, to prevent someone from walking out again 5 minutes later with another product using the same receipt.

Ya know, it really doesn't bother me.  Stores are private enterprises.  Don't like their policies, don't shop there.  It isn't nearly as bad as the .gov requireing some stupid shit.  
If they have great prices, loss prevention is part of the reason why.
I'm not going to hassle some teenage girl or elderly box store greeter.  I've got better things to do with my time.

exactly! if you don't like it, don't shop there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
If you don't want to stop to check your receipt there is a easy why to solve the problem...Don't go shopping, just buy shit off the "Interweb" and have it shipped to your house or work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those of you who make excuses for them, saying "it's just their job" or "it keeps costs down" are the same people who would object to a police search for no reason, right?

Jeez.

Police work for the government, whereas this is a private company on private property.

I doubt that they can really "make" you show it anymore than I can make you empty your pockets before leaving my house, but they aren't violating your constitutional rights by asking or anything like that.

And they can ask you to leave AND deny you service. But they can not force you to submit to a search.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#24]
It was one of those days when I didn't feel like saying "have a nice day" to anyone.

Nor did I feel like being hassled by someone, when it was plain to see I wasn't a thief, I was a paying customer who she clearly saw had paid.

You had to be there I guess, the fact that she bothered with me was just ridiculous under the circumstances.

It always amazes me how hard thieves work to get free stuff, but almost always end up paying far more in the end.  If that energy was funneled into honest work they'd be wealthier than I.

Its a shame we all have to submit to an exit search.

The grocery stores are next...  but hurry, the ice cream is melting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You Stared her down?  Then you are surprised that she tought you were suspiscious?

Damn man, relax.

Let her do her job, loss prevention LOWERS your cost for the items that you buy.

TRG

TRG - I need to increase my post count...  I still get no respect with less than 500...

+1

TRG

+2
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn man, relax.

TRG

+1

TRG

+2

Plus Juan
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How about I just write "FUCK YOU" on the receipt before I hit the checkpoint?  

I like the 'show me your tits and I'll show you my receipt' idea.

Surveys show 50% of customers hate and will go out of their way to avoid door greeters nazis!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#28]
So guess I'll go to Best Buy tonight and say hi to the manager.

Then I'll steal something!, and smile at the door Nazi who'll be on a short leash with me...
Nah, that's not my style - but somewhere in the world that's exactly what some asshat will actually do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#29]

I bought 1 boxed item - it was not in a bag - it was a factory sealed 18" cube box. 2:35pm on a Tuesday.

I was handed a receipt by the cashier while the loss prevention woman stared at me making the transaction - I made sure she had eye contact with me during this whole process to avoid the exit search.

There was no question that I have paid for a scanned item, had a receipt, and the merchandise belongs to me.

I just spoke to Shane, the ass't manager, who's responsibility includes loss prevention for the store. Shane is calling me back with a time when he, I, and the store manager will meet.

Shane totally admits that they made a mistake. Some things in life are obvious.

I asked if there is a sign that says you agree to an exit search in order to complete a transaction - he said he thinks its on the back of the receipt.

At least the Walmart Nazis don't run you down when you refuse, but Best Buy will run you down and you will comply - even if it is unnecessary and disrespectful.

I was running a bit late for a meeting, and didn't have time for nonsense.

I feel so violated!!!

Pass the popcorn please. Do you have a receipt for that popcorn?

Im sure you know she was looking to see if the item you have is the same item on the receipt. We agree here right? How would the door checker know your item matched your receipt. She saw you pay ?

Are you aware that a very common scam is for the cashier to scan a lower priced item such as a pack of gum while ACTING like they are scanning a higher priced item, a reverse bait and switch. You pay .25 for a 1k item then get a receipt and walk.
Even if you are not aware the people who set the do's and dont that the door checker has to follow are aware that this happens all the time so they instruct the door person to make sure every item is checked and matches the receipt.

One one thousand, Two one thousand and you would have been on your way, right ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, I know I'm late, but here we go AGAIN.  You are in THEIR property, leaving with what was THEIR property.  They have a right, and shareholder responsibility, to determine if it was paid for.  Don't like that?  Well, don't go shopping.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Why not show her the reciept?  It takes like 5 seconds of your time.....

But that is not as "manly" as showing what an ass you can be and then coming here to whine about it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was one of those days when I didn't feel like saying "have a nice day" to anyone...

So what this boils down to is... you were having a bad day. Maybe your receipt checker was having a bad day too. You wanted her to cut you some slack but maybe she wanted you to cut her some slack. Sounds like you two were made for each other.

Yes!, you too are correct.

You're all correct, virtually every response has intelligence and reasoning.

I dislike that I have to interact with other humans because I don't have enough money to buy true seclusion.

another post bites the dust...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not show her the reciept?  It takes like 5 seconds of your time.....

But that is not as "manly" as showing what an ass you can be and then coming here to whine about it.

Exactly!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
At a membership store like Costco I must comply with the rules, or lose the membership - and let's face it, if all you buy there is gas you are saving big bucks.

At a non-membership store like BB, or Wal-Mart, or any other - if they try to stop me, I don't stop.  I don't show my receipt like a good little subject.

Why?

Because it is MY property, and MY person, and that store took my money for it.

They can piss up a rope, or call the police.  I won't stop.

Those of you who make excuses for them, saying "it's just their job" or "it keeps costs down" are the same people who would object to a police search for no reason, right?

Jeez.

There are some exceptions that allow non-members to shop at Costco.  I believe even non-members can purchase prescriptions and liquor at Costco, so they would not have to abide by any "rules" that pertain to members.  

Any business worth their salt knows that employee related theft if MUCH bigger than customer related.  IOW employees stealing on their own or allowing others to steal are the biggest problem.

As a warehouse club, Costco is open to only members and their guests, except for purchases of liquor, gasoline and prescription drugs in some U.S. states due to state law and liquor license restrictions. The food court where one can purchase fast food items such as hot dogs and pizza is open to both members and non-members.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Hedonist, I see you are getting close to that 500 post "respect" mark.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#37]
This is why the receipt goes in my wallet as soon as I get it.

There can be no "grabbing the receipt".

My attitude is, if you think I stole something, call the police.

I routinely ignore the receipt checkers at Best Buy and Fry's Electronics.

Well, I do give them the occasional nod and "No thank you" which always earns me a bewildered look.

Never had a problem.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

This thread should be tacked as a shining example for post whores.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They try and stop me everytime I buy something there- I just keep walking and ignore them. It works for me

Once again, did that - she wasn't going to let me walk - she grabbed at the receipt, and there is ABSOLUTELY no way she could have even focused on what it said at arms length before she said - okay, you can leave.

She wanted to touch the receipt - not read it.

Yes, 5 seconds is not much time to assure prices are right - but obvious is obvious.

You will comply!
also - I'm just in a bad mood lately and want to kick a dog or human or something and looking for a reason to be pissy...  but she was wrong, and I am often right!

Popcorn?

No, she was doing HER JOB.  Someone who makes more money than she does insists she sees every receipt for merchandise that goes out the door.  It doesn't matter if she saw her father buy something there.  Her job is to check the receipt against the merchandise.

Again, don't like the receipt check policy?  Shop elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Bought a sub-woof for the new TV yesterday.

The "loss prevention" chick at the front door watched me pay - then as I exited demanded that I stop and hand over the receipt to prove that I paid for it.  I was pissed - she saw me pay for it and hassled me anyway.  I told her I didn't have time for this nonsense and to leave me alone.  She grabbed at the receipt to look anyway, and said "okay - you can go".  If I wasn't already late for a meeting I would have raised holy hell.

I'm still pissed.

I'm going to call them and ask for a meeting with the manager to hassle them.

Probably a policy that everyone, no exceptions, be checked as they exit the store. In this case, yes, the LP person saw the sale. There are lots of registers at my Best Buy where people can buy at one end of the store and then try to exit elsewhere, and lots of potential shoplifters who might have grabbed something off a shelf, stuffed it into a store bag and are now exiting the store. If you have ever seen video of how fast these people are, some of the tactics they use, and understand just how much $$ stores are losing to these people, you would have more sympathy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I always get hassled at least three times when i go to Best Buy.  The first is when i pick something up.  "You should get the five year extended warranty as that dvd player will self destruct once you leave the store."  The second is always the cashier.  "Have you thought about the five year extended warrant?  Those dvd players are known to self destruct once you leave the store."  Finally its the smackhead ticket nazi. GS
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why thank you!

Yes I have seen the work of many a post whore, and have learned from the best and worst of ARFCOM.  This topic has been factual, informational, serious and witty.  4 pages of "yes - BB sucks", "exit Nazi's suck", "Hedonist, your an ass (paraphrased) for not submitting",  "there's good reasons why they do this", so fourth and so on.  The topic had discussion, and several respected members replied with sincerity.  Popcorn was referenced, I got the "Not this shit again" pic, and generally speaking it allowed the real problems of the world to take a backseat to a relatively harmless topic that many have an opinion on.  Well done, I'd say. I started at 465, and this is my 20th post, bringing me to 485.  Another 15 and I'll hit 500 and get that huge amount of non-existant respect that comes with that number.  I've seen post whores rack up 20 posts with  stupid(er) stuff like pages of +1's.  Many members increased thier post count as well and they can thank me for that.  You all will remember this topic when visiting BB the next time.  I got no IBTLs, everyone was civil, and we all got in on the action.  I have no fear of a warning or account lock.  I didn't even get a "dupe" from those nazi's!  You can see I've learned how to play the game well!  The mods can lock at any time as the mission has been accomplished, anything further is gravy.

Yes, well done.  Indeed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why thank you!

Yes I have seen the work of many a post whore, and have learned from the best and worst of ARFCOM.  This topic has been factual, informational, serious and witty.  4 pages of "yes - BB sucks", "exit Nazi's suck", "Hedonist, your an ass (paraphrased) for not submitting",  "there's good reasons why they do this", so fourth and so on.  The topic had discussion, and several respected members replied with sincerity.  Popcorn was referenced, I got the "Not this shit again" pic, and generally speaking it allowed the real problems of the world to take a backseat to a relatively harmless topic that many have an opinion on.  Well done, I'd say. I started at 465, and this is my 20th post, bringing me to 485.  Another 15 and I'll hit 500 and get that huge amount of non-existant respect that comes with that number.  I've seen post whores rack up 20 posts with  stupid(er) stuff like pages of +1's.  Many members increased thier post count as well and they can thank me for that.  You all will remember this topic when visiting BB the next time.  I got no IBTLs, everyone was civil, and we all got in on the action.  I have no fear of a warning or account lock.  I didn't even get a "dupe" from those nazi's!  You can see I've learned how to play the game well!  The mods can lock at any time as the mission has been accomplished, anything further is gravy.

Yes, well done.  Indeed.

Now *that* was funny.
Nice job!  Well done!

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Well, I know I'm late, but here we go AGAIN.  You are in THEIR property, leaving with what was THEIR property.  They have a right, and shareholder responsibility, to determine if it was paid for.  Don't like that?  Well, don't go shopping.

Highlighted the operative word in your statement for why you don't need to stop there.

Their options are simple:  not let you shop there (trespass warning), or call the police.

Since you're leaving when this occurs, the first option is kind of moot.

The actual, correct way of rephrasing your statement is this:  "....leaving private property for public property while carrying YOUR property......."

They have no right to "determine if it was paid for".  They DO have the right to call the police or effect a citizen's arrest if that is in your state's laws.  Then they also have the right to receive the lawsuits that will follow when they do it to someone who is walking out the door with something they PAID FOR.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Its just not right.

I felt so humiliated.  I was violated.  She brushed the skin on my left hand.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Its just not right.

Now you're being pathetic, just posting to post.

Start a thread about children in restaurants.  That will get some action.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#47]
wht i hate worse is the cash register person trying to sell you magazines of all things (free at first of couse)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its just not right.

Now you're being pathetic, just posting to post.

Start a thread about children in restaurants.  That will get some action.

Hey, hey, hey now - I'm many things, but pathetic is not one of them.  Do you mind if a man touches your skin while your attempting to flee?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Bah. I actually enjoy the looks on the receipt checkers faces when I ignore them.

Actually it's not as much fun anymore when I frequent the same Best Buy stores because they all know me and don't ask anymore. Some even say "Have a good day".

Every now and again I get a new one who doesn't know me. Then it is fun again.

I tell you, these loss prevention people are like dogs, you have to train them.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Bah. I actually enjoy the looks on the receipt checkers faces when I ignore them.

Actually it's not as much anymore when I frequent the same Best Buy stores becasue they all know me and don't ask anymore. Some even say "Have a good day".

Every now and again I get a new one who doesn't know me. Then it is fun again.

I tell you, these loss prevention people are like dogs, you have to train them.

I agree, but I think its time I put this behind me.  I can't continue to dwell on it.

I've reached puberty here.  Five hundred post party at my place tonight!!!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top