Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 5:09:29 PM EDT
Miss USA skydives with Golden Knights
By Reesa B. Kossoff
March 20, 2006

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, March 20, 2006) – Miss USA Chelsea Cooley soared through the sky at an altitude of 13,000 feet during a tandem skydive with the U.S. Army Parachute Team, the Golden Knights, March 14.

The tandem jump was coordinated in conjunction with her USO visit to Fort Bragg, N.C.

Millions of people in more than 90 countries watched as Cooley was crowned Miss USA April 11, 2005. A native of Charlotte, N.C., Cooley has spent the past year as Miss USA, championing the causes of breast and ovarian cancer education and research.

Cooley has also become a USO celebrity and has visited a variety of military bases, including: Camp Lejeune, N.C.; Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba; and McGuire Air Force Base, N.J. Her constant interaction and support of the military fueled her interest in performing a tandem jump with the Golden Knights, she said.

Training puts Cooley on Cloud 9

As part of her USO visit, Cooley arrived at Fort Bragg early in the morning on March 14 and was flown to the nearby Laurinburg-Maxton airport. There, she was met by her family who accompanied her to a one-hour training session conducted by tandem master Sgt. 1st Class Billy Van Soelen.

Cooley quickly learned about parachuting equipment, skydiving techniques and what to expect during the jump. As soon as the morning clouds cleared, Miss USA suited up and boarded the DeHavilland UV-18 twin Otter plane. Together with her tandem partner, Sgt. 1st Class Greg Windmiller, Cooley performed her jump from an altitude of 13,500 feet.

Upon return to the ground, Cooley could barely contain her excitement.

“It was everything I thought it could be and more!” she exclaimed. “The Golden Knights are the best of the best, hands down.”

Following her jump, Cooley returned to Fort Bragg to eat dinner and sign autographs for the Soldiers in the 3rd Brigade dining room.

Jumps span White House to MTV

Established in 1959, the Golden Knights have had the honor of serving as Army ambassadors for more than 46 years. As the only Department of Defense and U.S. Army sponsored parachute team, the Golden Knights have earned an international reputation by continuously bringing home gold, silver and bronze medals from competitions.

In addition to impressing American and international audiences at competitions and air shows, the Golden Knights have had the opportunity to connect to the public by performing tandems with a variety of celebrities, including: former President George Bush, professional golfer Tiger Woods, NSYNC’s Lance Bass, MTV’s Vanessa Minillo and the Today Show’s Ann Curry.

“The Golden Knights Tandem team enables the Army to reach out to influencers and give them a taste of the professionalism, leadership and teamwork of the Soldier and the U.S. Army,” said Lt. Col. Dave Standridge, commander of the Golden Knights.

Footage of Cooley’s Army experience will air during the Miss USA pageant on April 21 at 9 p.m. on NBC.

www4.army.mil/news/article.php?story=8709
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you think he got wood?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
This picture is crying for photoshop!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
How would you like to have that strapped to your chest?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
too easy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
She's facing the wrong way!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
She's facing the wrong way!

if your good, there is no "wrong way".
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you think he got wood?

OK, now pull my cord!

-K
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
That picture should be on a recruiting poster.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
There ain't a whole lot of things that could convince me to jump out of a plane.

Throwing Miss USA out the door first, as bait, is at the top of the list.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There ain't a whole lot of things that could convince me to jump out of a plane.

Throwing Miss USA out the door first, as bait, is at the top of the list.  

It does raise the bar a bit
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Golden Knights practice in my home town.  They have a traning facility located at an Old Army Air Base in Maxton, NC.
www.lmairport.com/airport.htm
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Golden Knights practice in my home town.  They have a traning facility located at an Old Army Air Base in Maxton, NC.
www.lmairport.com/airport.htm

Cool.

However, we'd be more interested if Miss USA practiced in your home town.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cool.
However, we'd be more interested if Miss USA practiced in your home town.  

me 3
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Holy Canolie!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Jim: So what did you do today?
Bob: Rode Miss USA's butt for 13,000 ft.
Jim: Fvck you .
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#18]

I hope she wore panties or she probably whistled all the way down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top