Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/21/2006 5:03:36 PM EDT
(This thread was spawned because of Offspring's post!)

To all you mountain bike riders out there:

What is the best "short list" of mountain bikes available for the money?

I'm looking for a SOLID mountain bike with up to 6" of lockable travel and hefty front suspension that can carry my 6'4" 240lb ass. Willing to spend some coin for the right one.

I will ride 60-70% on concrete, and the rest offroad trails.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:08:48 PM EDT
I was just talking with my neighbor tonite about mountain bikes. He is a pretty serious mtn biker, I will ask him next time I see him. He does a ton of trail riding and quite a bit in Moab.

sooo....tag!

--VT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:09:07 PM EDT
Norco

Specialized

Cannondale

btw, get a full susp bike. They are as light as hardtails and have worked out all the boucning that they used to do. Your ass is too heavy for a hard tail, you will be popping tires alot. Im serious as a heart attack, im sure you are familiar with those.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:12:37 PM EDT
Ellsworth
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:17:17 PM EDT
Oh crap, I just saw that you are doing mostly concrete riding. Get a Trek.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:19:27 PM EDT
Trek

Max
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT
All mountain long travel trailbike.

Santa cruz Nomad or VPFree.
Foes FXR or Fly. Downhill oriented, Fly with floating brake.

I don't have a bike in that category.
I have a 4" Ellsworth Truth with Fox fork
And a Santa Cruz Bullit with floating brake built for Ski area riding and general thrashing 8" rear 9" front
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:21:45 PM EDT
I had a Norco Java and loved that bike to death. I ended up cracking the head tube pretty bad. Nothing against the bike, I was pretty hard on it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:29:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Offspring:
I had a Norco Java and loved that bike to death. I ended up cracking the head tube pretty bad. Nothing against the bike, I was pretty hard on it.

+1, im sold on the quality and value of Norco. I have an '03 "Drop" that im thinking of selling because its getting old, but Im kindof attached to it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:19:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
btw, get a full susp bike. They are as light as hardtails and have worked out all the boucning that they used to do. Your ass is too heavy for a hard tail, you will be popping tires alot. Im serious as a heart attack, im sure you are familiar with those.

Thanks gaspain and agreed...but what makes you think I'm close to a heart attack?

I am trying to switch over to living with more cardio and less weights...and I am sick of gym's. I need to get out and breathe the air...

Thanks to everyone's suggestions...I'll check them out.

PS: Yes, I suffered a rare birth condition and was born without a face...

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:23:19 PM EDT
I'm partial to my Specialized Stumpjumper- next one will be the Epic FSB www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Epic
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:27:27 PM EDT
Check out mtbr and make this post in the forums there. It's the ARFcom of the mountain biking world.

For what it's worth one of my riding buddies is 230 and he broke 3 frames and 5 sets of wheels (his nickname is taco - cause thats how his wheels end up looking). So picking the right frame and wheels for a 200+ rider is very important, especially if you plan on doing any off road.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:29:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JB_Metal:

Thanks gaspain and agreed...but what makes you think I'm close to a heart attack?
i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/joshuasb/JB_2005B1.jpg

I am trying to switch over to living with more cardio and less weights...and I am sick of gym's. I need to get out and breathe the air...

it was a joke dude, lol you are a big dude. Im not joking with you anymore
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:40:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 7:14:41 PM EDT by JB_Metal]

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/joshuasb/JB_2005B1.jpg

it was a joke dude, lol you are a big dude. Im not joking with you anymore

LOL - I was joking too brother...and thanks for your input.

ETA: That pic is a couple of years old...and after too much work, stress and not enough working out, I'm a lot softer and 15 pounds heavier. I do need to pedal my ass hard for a while.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:25:42 PM EDT
I ride a Gary Fisher X-Caliber. I'm about your size (6'4", 230) and the 29" wheels work well with the bigger frames. Check out the "clydesdale" forum at MTBR.

Good suggestions to start looking at are the Santa Cruz Heckler or Kona Hoss. I'm a 29er fan though, and those are both standard 26" bikes. You options are really only limited by your wallet...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 8:02:25 PM EDT by krfan]
I also weigh around 240 currently and I have had a Gary Fisher for the past 5 years. Great bikes. Good suspension. My bike is the biggest frame they make. Well worth the money.

99% of my riding is also done on concrete.

krfan1
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 11:06:15 PM EDT by hunttofu]
Santa Cruz.

For all around riding the Superlight cannot be beat.

but the superlight only has 4" and has a weight limit of 220 or 240 depending on what website you look into.

Try the Heckler....or even a bullit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:20:39 PM EDT
SANTA CRUZ BULLIT.

Check out MTBR.com. I researched that site for about 3 months before purchasing a Santa Cruz Bullit. For your size I wouldn't settle for anything else. It's classified as a heavy freeride bike/light downhill. Santa cruz bikes are excellent quality, very tough and "Bullit" Proof frame. Anything lighter than the bullit and should be a nervous when dropping more than a foot or two. Anything more than the bullit and you will be pushing it uphill.

Good luck.

Find the model you like on mtbr.com and search ebay for a used one. I save $2000 by purchasing that way. I bought a Santa Cruz Bullit for $800 bucks, $2800 new. It had a score of 4.97 out of 5 with 51 reviews. Its a damn solid bike.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:58:41 PM EDT
My wallet limited my options,so I went with a G Fisher Tassajara. Just add a front disc brake and a seat that doesn't make you feel like you'v been on the receiving end of a prison gang rape.
www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:55:49 AM EDT

(photo)

-Yes, but the problem with the photoshopping is that it is still quite obvious that you are really,,,
VANILLA ICE!!!

"STOP! collaborate and lis-sen...."
~~~~~
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:49:12 AM EDT
Specialized StumpJumper or Rockhopper. I have a RH Comp Disc and have ridden the hell out of it for the last 2 years... Nothing squeeks, clanks, clatter, even the spokes have stayed relatively tight (serviced once @ about 500miles. The thing is JUST like a motorcross bike without a motor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:50:08 AM EDT
Many good suggestions in this thread. If you're going to be doing that much road riding, and your off road riding isn't hardcore singletrack, consider a cyclocross bike. No front suspension, but cross bikes are light, fast, and very versatile. I think riding a mtn bike on the road sucks- doubly so if it's got any suspension. Cyclocross bikes are great on the road and in the dirt, and you should have plenty of options in frame material, gearing, etc. If you plan on doing more technical off road riding though, do as suggested and get yourself a full suspension mtn bike.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 7:49:55 PM EDT by JB_Metal]

Originally Posted By Floppy_833:

(photo)

-Yes, but the problem with the photoshopping is that it is still quite obvious that you are really,,,
VANILLA ICE!!!

"STOP! collaborate and lis-sen...."
~~~~~

That was a good one, yeah an old girlfriend had the idea for that hairdo. It was pretty Ice, Ice Baby...

ETA: Thanks again to everyone for all the input...really helpful.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:54:51 PM EDT
if you are going to spend, you might as well get a rear suspension too. I ride a GT lts5, made before GT went to shit and was sold by walmart. I still like the Rock Shox suspension. The Specialized Rock Hopper is a nice bike as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:31:43 PM EDT
i'm from the old school of urban assault riding
plenty of loading docks and stair riding sans suspension

my current ride is one of these:
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 9:55:17 PM EDT by JB_Metal]

Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
i'm from the old school of urban assault riding
plenty of loading docks and stair riding sans suspension

my current ride is one of these:
www.firstflightbikes.com/_borders/GroveHC.JPG

"Holy feminine colors Batman!"

Thanks, but I think I need different colors suspension if I'm flying off loading docks!

Kidding...

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:54:48 PM EDT
When I shopped for mine, I found the Marin line had terribly cheesy twist-grip derailleur controls. I wound up with a Rockhopper.
Top Top