Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 12:18:20 PM EDT
I went to the indoor range yesterday. I brought my own 9mm with me but ended up shooting more then 200 rounds so I went up to the counter to buy some. Strange, they were VERY low on ammo on their shelves. Maybe about 30% of what they usually have on hand. I just figured they haven't got around to stocking the shelves. Then I stumbled on this.urbansurvival.com/week.htm
Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no friggin' ammo shortage

I don't know where these people are coming from but I have had zero problem getting the exact types/brands of ammo... Be it from distributors or Wally World.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
read the ammo forum.

there is a "percieved" shortage, which is causing everyone to buy up what they can get their greedy little dickbeaters on.  This causes a jump in the supply/demand scale and prices are rising accordingly.

according to everyone who "knows" there is no shortage of ammo
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Two stories out there.

1)There really is a shortage due to metal shortages, metal price increases, goverment buys.

2)Or there is just rumors of a shortage and everyone is generating a shortage by buying up what they can get.

Either way, I am stocking up myself!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My FFL isn't stocking as much ammo, but I don't know if he is just not willing to pay high prices or if he is actually not able to get orders filled.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]

yep. there is definately a "shortage" of sorts on [some of] america's most used military calibers. i don't think it's anything to get all tinfoily about, but there is most definately very little 7.62X39 left, with re-supply a long ways out.

ETA: some of you have already said there is plenty of ammo. i'd like a couple of cases of 7.62X39 FMJ. i've been looking for the last few weeks and have yet to find any, though i'm admittedly not looking frantically.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Peak ammo man it Peak ammo...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
"from the link...................."As to what I was writing before. I wrote to say I work in a hospital, and that actually we have had so many shortages over the last six months to a year or so that I didn't even notice them anymore. We seem to be chronically short of things we use all the time like needle boxes and little odds and ends things that we go through at a pretty constant rate. There are always signs up like "X is back ordered", "Y is out of stock". But we also have had medications out of stock for long periods as well. "
I am seeing this all the time trying to fill prescriptions for the family.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Did I tell you guys about "DICKS SPORTING GOODS" THE DAY AFTER 9-11?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

not that i remember, tell us
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it Tuesday already?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I DON'T THINK I WILL
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I DON'T THINK I WILL

ALRIGHT I WILL.............OK SO I GO TO..................NHAAAAAAAAA......I'M NOT GONNA TELL YOU GUYS
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
There is always some clown with a bowl haircut at the gunshow selling ammo that says "oh, this is the last of it, you wont be able to get anymore of this!" ..... he was referencing 5.56 NATO, he ALWAYS has plenty at every show.  

The only ammo i've ever seen dry up was the South African 5.56 ... wish i could get some more of that stuff ...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I DON'T THINK I WILL

ALRIGHT I WILL.............OK SO I GO TO..................NHAAAAAAAAA......I'M NOT GONNA TELL YOU GUYS

SAY PLEASE
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Colltt, please take a long walk off a short pier.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I DON'T THINK I WILL

SAY PLEASE

You do realize you're talking to yourself at this point, right?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I DON'T THINK I WILL

SAY PLEASE

ITS JUST YOU AND ME NOW
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
George Ure is an idiot. He quotes Cheaper than Dirt as some kind of benchmark for ammo. He rips offs another Board, timebomb2000.com all the time. He is a woowoo dut job. He also claimed there was an MRE shortage recently too.

This guy Ure always quotes readers and sources who support his views, but all he need do is look at ammoman, ammunitionstore, Weideners, Aimsurplus, and others to find plenty of ammo. Why is a shortge when you cannot get cheap shit foreign ammo? Ammoman for instance has plenty of 7.62X39, but Ure does not seem to grasp that fact. He is a guy who was looking for a meteor impact a few years ago becasue some guy on an internet foruym claimed to be a NASA astronomer with secret information. He also claims that when he has ringing in his ears, something bad is about to happen.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
There is always some clown with a bowl haircut at the gunshow selling ammo that says "oh, this is the last of it, you wont be able to get anymore of this!" ..... he was referencing 5.56 NATO, he ALWAYS has plenty at every show.  

The only ammo i've ever seen dry up was the South African 5.56 ... wish i could get some more of that stuff ...

Aussie F4 .308's pretty much gone too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Have any of you naysayers tried buying any ammo?

I'll tell you, finding any XM193 is almost impossible, 7.62x39 seems nonexistent and .308 is dropping off fast.

MO, FWIW, is that people are buying up ammo in vast quantities and the supply chain wasn't prepared for it.  Perhaps the Katrina aftermath is what brought that on in addition to the War. However, there is a shortage, whatever the reason.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's ashame. Best surplus 7.62 NATO ammo ever.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Alright....................I make a point of going to gun stores, and gun depts at stores to get a feel for public reaction after events like the LA riots and 9-11. Well I go to dicks and walk into their gun dept the day after 9-11. Except it was no longer a gun dept. As a matter of fact you could not tell they ever sold guns or ammo. ALL shelves were stripped of guns and ammo and restocked with other items. such as sleeping bags,etc.
I go to my local gun shop to buy 223 the same day, NO 223!
I start to feel uneasy. So I go to the the gun range I mention at top of thread to buy 223 and finally got it there. NOW I see that supplier is low on ammo so I'm just asking a question.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's ashame. Best surplus 7.62 NATO ammo ever.

Wish I'd bought a pile of it... Only have 2 crates and I'm not going to shoot any more of it!

Now I'm working on building a stash of linked Port .308.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ITS JUST YOU AND ME NOW

You got me!!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'll tell you, finding any XM193 is almost impossible, 7.62x39 seems nonexistent and .308 is dropping off fast.

That's because the XM193 isn't being made or the manufacture has been drastically reduced. You can get Fed AE 55gr FMJ and M855 easily. The XM193 was never going to be a permenant thing.

I will agree that 7.62x39 is tight though.

Mirage still had some Xm193 last time I looked, but it was expensive.

Ammo across the board is getting fudging expensive though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There is no friggin' ammo shortage

I don't know where these people are coming from but I have had zero problem getting the exact types/brands of ammo... Be it from distributors or Wally World.

Yes there is!  Buy all the ammo you can find, even if you don't have a gun for it!!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#31]
As long as there is Georgia Arms there is no ammo shortage. Just picked up some more can's of Canned heat today.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#32]
This topic always brings out the ignorant.  Then again, what GD thread doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Is it Tuesday already?

No shit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#34]
As a purchasing agent, I am not only seeing it in ammo, but also electronic components. Lead times are going through the roof and prices are increasing.

Face it, the economy is on fire so people have the cash to hoard the ammo they want. My company is having a record year. And even considering oil price increases, the economy is going well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Forgot to mention I have recently purchased three cases of XM193 from Wideners, 500 rounds of 308 and 5000 rounds each of 9mm and 45. The only thing in short supply is russian 7.62X39, but there is plenty of other 7.62x39 available. A lack of a particular brand does not a shortage make. Also-Surplus ammo is just that, surplus to the needs of a military. When it is gone, it is gone. So just because one cannot buy surplus ammo from 1982 does not mean there is a surplus per se. You cannot buy sealed tins of British corrosive 9 mm from WWII....does that mean there is a shortage of 9mm?

Think people think. There is no shortage of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Have any of you naysayers tried buying any ammo?

MO, FWIW, is that people are buying up ammo in vast quantities and the supply chain wasn't prepared for it.  Perhaps the Katrina aftermath is what brought that on in addition to the War. However, there is a shortage, whatever the reason.

Shipping Confirmation - Customer Id XXXXXXX (use for Express Checkout)

XXXXXXXXXX,

Your order #279XXXXX shipped today, March 20, via Guide Express via U.P.S. Ground - Residential to the following address:

ShipTo Name:        XXXXXXXXXX
ShipTo Address:     XXXXXXXXXX
City, State, Zip:  XXXXXXXX, NH  XXXXXXX

Items Shipped:

Qty  Product        Size        Color       Description
--- -------------  ----------  ----------  ------------------------------------------------
 3  0067116000000                          1000RD 7.62X39 122GR FMJ AMMO

To track your package you can use the link below:

U.P.S. Tracking #

OK, you're definitely right about the XM193 being harder to find, and I've been waiting forever on my back-ordered 7.62X39.  But she's coming.  (I also received a bunch of 7.62X39 640 round spam cans last week.)

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#37]
There are normal temporary shortages of ammo at different times of the year. For instance, Wolf 7.62X39 appears to be in short supply, but in reality it is normally short this time of year and shortages are made up by early summer.  When there is a shortage of raw material, then it would be time to be concerned.

Some, well all, of the dealers at the last Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show were making the most of it to gouge the public. When I left Sunday evening, there was still a lot of over priced 7.62X39 around. Most guys know better than to buy ammo at inflated prices.

Think back to 1994 when billie and his crew were doing anything they could to attack gun rights. I was afraid of a shortage and called all over looking for surplus .308. Every place I called on the east coast said they were out.  Strangely enough, some places in the midwest and west hadn't gotten the word and were selling ammo.  What the east coast warhouses were doing was capitalizing on the rumors of a shortage and waiting for the price to go up before they suddenly got "new" shipments in.

Nothing changes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#38]
There were slight increases in price, because of the cost of metals.
However, there is a TRUE shortage now, because of a percieved shortage.
Everyone runs out to hoard ammo, which drives the prices up, as well as creating a shortage.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok then where can I get some "no wait" 7.62x39 and not be reamed on the price? Hell Wolf .223 is $79 for 500 rounds at CTD!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#40]
5.45 is a cast iron bitch to come by now adays too...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#41]
FYI-this comes from the timebomb2000.com firearms section. Posted by a moderator on Monday, 3/19.

Just an update, I was at the Las Vegas gun show yesterday, they had LOADS Of 7.62x39, Pallets full almost 5 feet high, both FMJ and HP along with some corrosive Yugo ammo as well.

Prices were a bit high but I picked up 2 cases anyway, cus you just never know.

It looks like its available now, cus Miwall (who was at the show) had boat loads of the stuff.. if you have enough wait out till the prices drop, if not get it now just to be safe. I had enough, but I was kinda nervous about not having large amts if it gets cut off again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
FYI-this comes from the timebomb2000.com firearms section. Posted by a moderator on Monday, 3/19.

Just an update, I was at the Las Vegas gun show yesterday, they had LOADS Of 7.62x39, Pallets full almost 5 feet high, both FMJ and HP along with some corrosive Yugo ammo as well.

Prices were a bit high but I picked up 2 cases anyway, cus you just never know.

It looks like its available now, cus Miwall (who was at the show) had boat loads of the stuff.. if you have enough wait out till the prices drop, if not get it now just to be safe. I had enough, but I was kinda nervous about not having large amts if it gets cut off again.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#44]
ammoman now has xm193 in stock....some shortage.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img55.imageshack.us/img55/2007/hurrithread9ls0au.jpg

Is that a real photo?

Nope

It's just your imagination.

Here's your sign.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
ammoman now has xm193 in stock....some shortage.

Well then it just came up because he ahsn't had any for months. I have bought that ammo for several years and never had any difficulty finding it until now.

And look at the price!!!

From $109 to $139 per 500 rd case!!!
Holy price increase, Batman!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
From $109 to $139 per 500 rd case!!!
Holy price increase, Batman!

Oh, but you can get it!

Gasoline was $3.50 a gallon last September, but I could get it!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top