Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 11:18:55 AM EDT
It's really difficult to find someone to play a game of Battletech with, so I play Megamek, which is a computer version of the board game. It's got nearly all the level 1 and level 2 units- mechs, vehicles, VTOL's, infantry, battle armor, artillery, etc., it automatically calculates the to-hits, movement, terrain, etc. and it lets you implement rules such as double-blind and night conditions much more easily than the board game does.

The best part is, you can play as many people as you want at any given time over the internet; I can only play the one guy on campus who also has Megamek because they closed all the ports, but when I'm at home I've got a bunch of guys I play with and even enter tournaments.

So... are they any Battletech fans here who would be interested in downloading Megamek and playing other people? Especially me, once I'm back at home and can play opponents off campus?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It's really difficult to find someone to play a game of Battletech with, so I play Megamek, which is a computer version of the board game. It's got nearly all the level 1 and level 2 units- mechs, vehicles, VTOL's, infantry, battle armor, artillery, etc., it automatically calculates the to-hits, movement, terrain, etc. and it lets you implement rules such as double-blind and night conditions much more easily than the board game does.

The best part is, you can play as many people as you want at any given time over the internet; I can only play the one guy on campus who also has Megamek because they closed all the ports, but when I'm at home I've got a bunch of guys I play with and even enter tournaments.

So... are they any Battletech fans here who would be interested in downloading Megamek and playing other people? Especially me, once I'm back at home and can play opponents off campus?

I never really got into it but I have a boxed game (2ed I think) and a couple of mechs I will let go for cheap. LMK if interested and I'll dig it out and see exactly whats there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the box set and at least one of the supplements but sadly don't have the time to play like I used to.

I'd be all over getting a Twilight: 2000 game going if I had time. Battletech was pretty sweet too, back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link me.

Haven't played since HS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't played it in AGES. I still have a case full of miniatures and a shelf full of books.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
During my HS/College/Tech School years I worked at a small bookstore that sold that stuff. I would occasionally play some of them with friends.

Third Reich, Squad leader, Star Fleet Battles and Diplomacy were probably my favorites. But I did play some Battletech too. This was back when the game first came out, I’m sure the rules have changed a lot since then. I think there’s even a bunch of old Battletech miniatures at my mother’s house. For a while I liked to paint them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Megamek

Go there to download the Megamek game. Right now version 30.8 is the most popular, but it's a little buggy- I've had a couple games crash and the host couldn't get the saved game to work. Other versions are more stable, but they don't have as many features.

Lords of the Battlefield

Forum where you can find other players and folks who will walk you through figuring out how MM works.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember that game well, been a long time since I've played. It was all about the 7/5/7 Clan Medium Pulse Lazer + Targeting computer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top