Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 10:32:41 AM EDT
My mother almost 74 years old.  Ever since I can remember, she always corrected me the way I behave while, at the same time, give out demands (instead of polite requests) such as "Go get dee box ober dere!" or "Bacuum the lee-bing room!" rather than with a nice request like "Will you please get the box over there?" or "Will you please vacuum the living room?".  If you're wondering why the first two examples is written that way is because I'm explaining how she demands things with her thick Filipino accent.  My mother just likes to demand and be controlling.

Do you any of you folks have a mom who's a control freak?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Mom used to be, has mellowed in the last ten years. MIL is not.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope, my MIL is great. She's coming in town on Friday and I'm looking forward to. She hangs out with me and watches movies while I clean guns!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
HOLY SHIT my soon-to-be-mother-in-law is a complete psychopath, nice lady, just looses her mind when she isn't in control.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
mom not so much.
grandma was a bitch.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mom used to be, has mellowed in the last ten years. MIL is not.

I feel comfortable with my MIL because she's more sensitive about people's feelings.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
MIL doesnt speak english, so we are good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
My mother still tries to be.  Nothing like 100 miles distance to put a stop to that crap.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]
My mother used to try but gave up after I was like 16 or 17 yrs old... tells me I'm stubborn as a goat like daddy.  Still she loves me and I would do anything for her.

My MIL is great.  She treats me like one of her own kid and is a great person.  However, when it comes to my boy (her first grandchild) she takes over everything and we get instructed on everything.  Still, she a great person and I would do anything for her.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
My mom says I have to go now.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My mom is not that way but my MIL is.  My wife is becoming more like her mother too which is scary.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
HOLY SHIT my soon-to-be-mother-in-law is a complete psychopath, nice lady, just looses her mind when she isn't in control.

Danger will robinson Danger
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Can this forum handle a one option poll of just yes?z
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My MIL is dead so its not an issue. But even when she was alive she was a nice person.

My mother is a saint.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#15]
My FORMER Mother-in-Law is a dictator who tells her husband and adult children what to do.  She used to give me orders all the time also although I rarely obeyed her largeness.  

The last time I spoke with her was in a phone conversation in which I referred to her using the "F" word and the "C" word.  Apparently that got her attention.  She never spoke to me after that.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#16]
My MIL looks at me as merely the vessel who brought her grandchildren. She's civil, I'm civil.

My mother is simply a freak. She used to be relatively normal. She recently married an arrogant passive- agressive holier than thou prick of the highest order. And she's done very well converting herself into his perfect wife.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#17]
My mom has never been a control freak, and my MIL thinks that I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I guess I'm just lucky.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#18]
my mother is most definately a control freak. Shes already told me that she is going to revoke my inheritance once I enlist and that i'll be on my own. Told me she wouldn't even write me a letter.

Oh well, my sister and the Army are the only family I'll need.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
my mother is most definately a control freak. Shes already told me that she is going to revoke my inheritance once I enlist and that i'll be on my own. Told me she wouldn't even write me a letter.

Oh well, my sister and the Army are the only family I'll need.

Holy crap. That just sucks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#20]
My mother mellowed out significantly once I got a little older and proved I could handle myself.
Before that she was a little uptight, but maybe thats what happens when she raises two boys
She was and still is a saint, even though we don't always agree on everything.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Holy crap. That just sucks.

Meh, it was either take over my pops company and have my moms/dads blessings or the Army.

What can I say, I don't like working in an office.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep the MIL on another continent and you have no MIL problems.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Keep the MIL on another continent and you have no MIL problems.

That reminds me of the thread where someone mentioned they had a job offer in France.  We forgot to list the above as a positive.z
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#24]
nope.... they know that i am my own man and make my own decisions.  guilt trips have no effect on me either
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]

I see you're dating my girlfriend as well, guess we'll have to fight now.

My mom is great, can't say the same about my girlfriend's...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Unggoy ka!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#27]
My mother is very much a control freak. Unfortunately for her, so is my husband. She came to visit for a month a couple of years ago (I moved from London to NY and she still tried control long-distance style) and try as she might, she couldn't get past him. She resorted to throwing a drunken tantrum out on our back deck, just sat out there sobbing and screaming. Rather embarrassing.

I had to get cancer to get her off my back. She never calls me now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top