Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 7:58:29 AM EDT
I read this and thought WTF?  Allen seemed to be the most competent person from the government that was on the ground during Katrina.  I have to wonder if this is over pet evacuation?

Supporting Link

Senator Blocks Coast Guard Promotion
Associated Press  |  March 21, 2006
WASHINGTON - Republican Sen. John Ensign of Nevada, a former veterinarian who criticized pet evacuation efforts after Hurricane Katrina, is blocking the promotion of a Coast Guard vice admiral who headed the hurricane recovery.

President Bush nominated Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen to be commandant of the Coast Guard in January. It was approved on a voice vote last week by the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.

Allen was put in charge of Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts in September after the Bush administration pulled then-FEMA director Michael Brown off the job.

Jack Finn, a spokesman for Ensign, refused Monday to say why the senator is blocking Allen's confirmation by the full Senate.

"We have some questions we want to have answered and we anticipate having them answered before too long," Finn said.

Ensign visited the Gulf Coast in late September, a month after Katrina hit, and met with Allen to press him to better coordinate animal rescue efforts. He said that in addition to concerns about the animals' welfare, abandoned pets could cause a public health risk.

Under Senate procedures, any senator can block a vote on a confirmation or a piece of Legislation by raising an objection. That objection can be overcome with 60 votes in the 100-member Senate.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The USCG did more rescues in LA, in a day, than they usually do in a year. They did more rescuing than any other federal agency, with fewer resources than some.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The USCG did more rescues in LA, in a day, than they usually do in a year. They did more rescuing than any other federal agency, with fewer resources than some.

When I read this article, I couldn't help but thinking how well Allen represented the USCG (IMHO).  If there was one bright spot about Katrina my vote would have to be for the USCG.  I'd really like to hear Ensign's reasons for blocking this promotion.  

I wonder if any of our Nevada members could shed some light on Ensign?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#3]
i doubt this block will last for long.  Allen did a great job while surrounded by fuckheaded morons (Nagan, Mike Brown, ect)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top