Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 7:44:26 AM EDT

www.ohchr.org/english/events/racism/

Look at their new "Racism" poster.  

What do you think?  Is it complete coincidence that Lego (a DANISH company) is used prominently in this poster?  After all, Lego's are very pervasive, and a pretty everyday symbol.

Or is it a subtle, deliberate dig, because Danes are so "intolerant" now.  Where's that tinfoil simley?  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Puzzles are for sissies anyway. Be strong, lil' Lego!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
is the UN being an asshole?  

Is this a trick question?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you are being a bit too sensitive.  But then, with the UN you can never be too carefull.

I just think the Lego is recognized in so many locations, and because it has the pieces that fit together similar to a traditional puzzle it was easy to contrast.

However, after looking at the "poster" a bit further I noted one other interesting thing.  

Note how the black puzzle is larger and contains more pieces than the red lego.   If I were reading more into this than was intended I would take it as black racism against the poor red lego...hmmm....

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.ohchr.org/english/events/racism/poster-racism-english.jpg

What do you think?  Is it complete coincidence that Lego (a DANISH company) is used prominently in this poster?  After all, Lego's are very pervasive, and a pretty everyday symbol.

Or is it a subtle, deliberate dig, because Danes are so "intolerant" now.  Where's that tinfoil simley?  

Here's my take on it, D-K.
My background was originally in Fine Arts and I spent many years working in commercial art.  I worked with ad agencies and their creative directors on a regular basis.

Here's my gut reaction:
The U.N hired an ad agency to come up with a new poster to illustrate the concept of racism.  The creative director probably had genuinely NO clue that Leggos are made in Denmark.  He came up with several possible ideas for his client to approve or not.  He probably was not intentionally sending a political message, BUT when the U.N. cadre in charge of the project saw the concept ideas of possible posters, he liked THIS one the best.  Perhaps for political reasons, but maybe not.  It's impossible to know for sure.

Just my instinctive reaction.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's my take on it, D-K.
My background was originally in Fine Arts and I spent many years working in commercial art.  I worked with ad agencies and their creative directors on a regular basis.

Here's my gut reaction:
The U.N hired an ad agency to come up with a new poster to illustrate the concept of racism.  The creative director probably had genuinely NO clue that Leggos are made in Denmark.  He came up with several possible ideas for his client to approve or not.  He probably was not intentionally sending a political message, BUT when the U.N. cadre in charge of the project saw the concept ideas of possible posters, he liked THIS one the best.  Perhaps for political reasons, but maybe not.  It's impossible to know for sure.

Just my instinctive reaction.

That sounds reasonable.

I imagine it is 95% likely that it is PURE CONINCIDENCE, with about a 5% chance that some doo-gooder liberal bureaucrat at the UN might have known about Lego being Danish, and thought this would be a "clever" statement when he saw the concept.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry about it, everyone knows that Legos kick any puzzle's ass 24/7.

Fook the UN.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Suprising that the Lego isn't the color of the Caucasian persuasion.

Maybe it's Chinese.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Is it saying that black people don't like native americans?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Who gives a flying fuck anymore what the UN says or does?  They've proven themselves time and time again to be as useless as tits on a hog.  Their current inability to do anything about Iran, even their normal "harshly worded memo" is another prime example of their uselessness.  They ought to be disbanded and Anan should be fool killed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The way I interpreted it was that the Lego is the one being discriminated on by the "majority", who are all the same.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the Lego should just try harder to fit in.  If it wants to be different, expect to be excluded.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The black pieces are more numerous so the 'Danish' Lego is actually the minority in the picture.

Shok
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't really get the ad. What is it trying to say?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It says that big stand up Red (native americans) are far superior to low down blacks (self explanatory)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me neither, it makes no sense.

I'm kinda having that problem too.

Is it supposed to say that racism comes in all sorts of forms that we might not traditionally think about, and we should all be "on the lookout" for all sorts of new things we can call "racist"?  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Are they saying racism is rectangular?

That don’t make no sense.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me neither, it makes no sense.

I'm kinda having that problem too.

Is it supposed to say that racism comes in all sorts of forms that we might not traditionally think about, and we should all be "on the lookout" for all sorts of new things we can call "racist"?  

OK. I'm glad it doesn't make sense to anyone else either. I thought maybe there was some obvious message that was missing. I was worried that I was going stupid or something.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Doesn't the Danish airforce carry bombs on their aircraft? They could always just lose one on the un building while flying over.    I think the dig was intentional.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#23]
It's definitely saying that the puzzl pieces are the majority...

Poor lil' lego is the minority and can't come and play with the other pieces...

Bastard puzzle pieces... I always did hate the fuckers...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Speaking of lego blocks:

Look at this Lego model
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
It's no accident . Someone or I should say some asshole  wanted to send a message to the Danes
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#26]
If they'll bomb the effing Smurfs, they're capable of anything.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Lego should sue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know.  I'd be willing to chalk it up to coincidence but if you look at the UN's statement on their site, you might think that they are indeed targeting those big, mean Danes.  

"New forms of discrimination seem to defy any gains we have made: the Internet is used for the propagation of racism, the number of victims of human trafficking is rising and xenophobic arguments in political discourse are on the rise."

I LOVE the official title of the UN bureaucracy that spews this stuff - "Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights."  It sounds like one of the highfalutin honorifics that the Nazis would bestow upon little Nazis to make them feel important.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Please see my avatar for a proper response.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Case closed.  It's no coincidence.  

Check out what Eugene Volokh is saying -
www.volokh.com/archives/archive_2006_03_19-2006_03_25.shtml#1142989233
(Note the links to articles about UN officials attacking the Danes as racist and xenophobic.)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Does it take the shape of a jihadist wearing a suicide vest? Because that's the type of racism the world is going to have to get used to.

Europe in particular.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I think you had the answer when you thought to post.  And you're right!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I LOVE the official title of the UN bureaucracy that spews this stuff - "Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights."  It sounds like one of the highfalutin honorifics that the Nazis would bestow upon little Nazis to make them feel important.  

Ehh, it doesn't quite have the ring of "Reichsführer SS".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#35]
i've clicked every link in this thread and havnt seen this poster.  looks like we're crushing links left and right
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i've clicked every link in this thread and havnt seen this poster.  looks like we're crushing links left and right

Apparently the awesome power of Lego forced the UN to take the poster off their website.

w00t  

I downloaded a copy, but it's a PDF file, and I'm not sure how to "post" an image like that, or how to host it on arfcom's server.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top