Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 7:31:22 AM EDT
Mainly to be close to my father.  He's getting older, and I love him dearly.  I know I'll be a mess when he's gone, and don't want to wish I spent more time with him later in life.  He's healthy as a whip, at 74.  Here's the deal.  He owns some residential and commercial real estate, and is getting a little too old to be "working" everyday.  He's offered to pay me a modest salary, about  1000-1200/wk take home.

Drawbacks are alot of my hobbies are  non existant here.  Gets blazing hot in the summer.   Traffic and the invasion of all kinds of people.  Not many places to shoot rifles here either.  Expensive to live here.  Always wanted to live on a large piece of property, and until recently been looking in Colorado and Tennessee.  I own a 1br 1.5 ba condo on the water here..paid off.

Pluses are being with him.  Lots of free time.  Ability to travel whenever and for however long. Own anything firearm related.  Hot women and nice weather in the winter.  

I'd be leaving NY and a job making roughly 75-120K take home a year  ( 120K if I work 40hr weeks), which doesnt always happen.  As you all know, the taxes and gun laws are downright oppressive.

What would you do?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
FL or NY, FL or NY, FL or NY.  Duh Florida, baby.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I lived in Naples for about a year. Coming from Michigan its just to damn hot and humid down there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I lived in Naples for about a year. Coming from Michigan its just to damn hot and humid down there.

NY can have its humid times.  I guess the exchange is frigid moist cold for 3-4 months in NY or the opposite in Florida.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave Kommi-New Yawk to live in Freedom Florida??

No Gun New Yawk - to Concealed Carry Everywhere Florida?

High State Tax New Yawk - to No State Tax Florida???

The choice is simple, Stay in New Yawk. er... I mean, LEAVE NEW YAWK!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wuss.

Hey, I don't like cold weather, so here I am.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
What part of South Florida?
I don't like living in parts of Miami-Dade but I live in west Broward and area is okay... nice and quiet neighborhood.

If I was you I would do it.  Time with your father is well worth the effort/sacrifices.
I live 3 miles from my parents and 4 miles from my brother... my sister lives 20 miles away in Miami.  We all get together almost every Saturday evening/night at my parents house to have dinner and to hangout and talk, play, watch tv, etc.  We take turns cooking and baking.  I'll always remember those nights with ALL my family.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Please don't move to Florida.  

You might buy that carbine at the gun show before I see it.    

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Please don't move to Florida.  

You might buy that carbine at the gun show before I see it.    

You're damn right.  I think there is a gun show this weekend too

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't like living in parts of Miami-Dade but I live in west Broward and area is okay... nice and quiet neighborhood.

If I was you I would do it.  Time with your father is well worth the effort/sacrifices.
I live 3 miles from my parents and 4 miles from my brother... my sister lives 20 miles away in Miami.  We all get together almost every Saturday evening/night at my parents house to have dinner and to hangout and talk, play, watch tv, etc.  We take turns cooking and baking.  I'll always remember those nights with ALL my family.

My place is in Hallandale on the beach, property is in Hollywood on 441
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Start scuba diving, and then you'll kick yourself for having wasted your life in NY all those years.  

I'm not a big fan of the Miami area, but S. Florida has great diving.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hallandale Beach area is okay.  Not too hectic but not dead quiet.  A lot of places to go have fun within 15 minutes by car.  

Do it and enjoy your time with your dad... it may be your last chance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Move to North Florida and get a fuel efficient car.

South Florida just plain sucks.

You can drive it in 4-5 hours.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude. Chicks galore. I was just there a couple of weeks ago. OMG! the chicks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
FL is great.  i just got back from Colorado, and even though i had a great time, it made me realize how much i like the weather down here.  yes, it does get hot in the summer (hell, it is hot right now) but just go swimming.  also, if you dont spend time with your father now, you will regret it later.  

FL>>>NY
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]
First though: We are all full up here.

Then I read your post: Come here and spend as much time with your dad as you can. Buy a small boat and go fishing wiht him every weekend. There are few things better than a father and son fishing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
FL or NY, FL or NY, FL or NY.  Duh Florida, baby.

FL ain't perfect but it's better than NY.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#19]
1/2 of south florida are NY'rs, the other 1/2 canadians, and the 3rd half every thing else
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#20]
As long as you dont move down here and complain that everything is/was better in NY you should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
As long as you dont move down here and complain that evwerything is/was better in NY you should be fine.

What, if anything, is good in NY?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As long as you dont move down here and complain that evwerything is/was better in NY you should be fine.

What, if anything, is good in NY?

I have no idea but all the ex NYers cannot seem to let go of it.

ETA, move down here and help offset the usual NY Dimocrats that are screwing up the politics here. We need more gun owners.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#23]
i would do it, not for the money or anything else, but to be with your father...that is what counts, life is short and you only have 1 dad.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#24]
There are worse places to live than S. Fla (NY is one).  No state income tax.  You can wear shorts year round and you will be used to the heat/humidity after a couple of years.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Florida, its the right choice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Well I moved from upstate NY 2 years ago.

I find the weather nice 9 months out of the year. The summers ARE hot and humid, but after 2 years I don't notice it as much. Though I don't do much out side duringthe hottest hours during the summer months.

The gun situation is like living in a different country though. I will NEVER live in NY again for ANY reason.

All in all it is a bit too hot for me but I would rather deal with that than the 6 month winters in NY. Property $$$$ is a bitch though.

But if I were you and got along with the old man then I would do it. Be thankful you have a good relationship and at 74 he could live another 20 years or 20 days, you never know. When he is gone you WILL wish and would spend any ammount of money for 1 more day, so I say take advantage of it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Shootemup, ,you seem to be having a difficult time deciding where to move to (quite understandable).  I moved to CO from MA/VT and I've tried to move back east on 3 separate occassions, big mistakes.  I thought about moving to FL, way too hot (and flat) and no real change of season.  

I really thought you were hot on the Western Slope of CO??  Get your arse out here (or at least come out for a visit to see if you like it or not).  You need to spend a little time in any state you are considering before making the permanent leap.  

My $.02

--VT

p.s. camping season is right around the corner

w00t!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Shootemup, ,you seem to be having a difficult time deciding where to move to (quite understandable).  I moved to CO from MA/VT and I've tried to move back east on 3 separate occassions, big mistakes.  I thought about moving to FL, way too hot (and flat) and no real change of season.  

I really thought you were hot on the Western Slope of CO??  Get your arse out here (or at least come out for a visit to see if you like it or not).  You need to spend a little time in any state you are considering before making the permanent leap.  

My $.02

--VT

p.s. camping season is right around the corner
www.hunt101.com/img/388174.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/388176.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/388177.jpg

w00t!!!

Don't look now, but your tent is ablaze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top