Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 7:30:30 AM EDT
Has anyone bought a stock from oneshare.com? I'm considering buy a stock of Exxon Mobil, but would like to know if anyone has any experience with buying here.

www.oneshare.com/stock.asp
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not used oneshare.  I have an account with Scot trade, and they are pretty reasonable - $7 trades, and no hidden fees.  Do you have any experience with stocks?  I subscribe to Investors Business Daily, and have learned a ton from them - highly reccomended.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have not used oneshare.  I have an account with Scot trade, and they are pretty reasonable - $7 trades, and no hidden fees.  Do you have any experience with stocks?  I subscribe to Investors Business Daily, and have learned a ton from them - highly reccomended.

I have absolutely NO experience with stocks. I'm now 46 years old and want to start investing. Is Investors Business Daily geared for professionals or can rank amateurs like myself understand it?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
oneshare is a site to purchase novelties, not to do serious investing.  they actually send you the paper certificate with a nice frame and all sorts of garbage.

Stock Frame Transfer Fee Sub Total
$69.00 $44.00 $39.00 $152.00

thus, you're paying $152 for a share of stock that's worth $69
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Investors Business Daily is geared for newer investors, but I suspect that just about anyone can get something out of it.

Here is their site:  www.investors.com

I subscribe to their "Monday Special"  which is their Monday print paper that comes in the mail, and full access to their web site, forums, graphs, etc.  I believe it's $189 a year.  A little pricey, but well worth it IMHO for the amount of knowledge I've picked up. IBD will send you a book by their founder also with a subscription.  That book alone taught me alot, and their forum is full of experienced investors / traders that are friendly and helpful.  More serious traders can get access to other features from their site, but most are pretty steeply priced .

IBD also offers a free trial period thats worth checking out - thats what I did.  I got a daily paper that I found terrific, but just didn't have the time to read it.  With the subscription plan I have, I now just get one printed paper a week - but their website posts all of the print articles, and that is much more convenient for me. I don't mean to sound like a commercial for IBD - but if you are serious about learning stocks, that's the route I would take.

I've been trading for about a year, and going into it I thought I might have some idea of what to do.  I soon found out just how clueless I was.  I've learned alot in the past year...  

www.stockcharts.com is another good free site that I check quite often.  Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I suggest you check with Fidelity. In all research I have done they seem to be a good company. I have had accounts with them for about 8 years now.

ETA: You may want the check out mutual funds rather than buy individual stocks and bonds.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have absolutely NO experience with stocks. I'm now 46 years old and want to start investing. Is Investors Business Daily geared for professionals or can rank amateurs like myself understand it?

Dont get stocks, and dont buy novelties from onestock.
Get a mutual fund. I recomend going with Vangaurd.
Then get a Scottrade account and put some extra scratch in it and play around. Even better, find a playsite that lets you play with fake money first to get a feel for it. You WILL make bad buys, you WILL lose money. Its bets to learn with play money and not with real money.

I'd recommend a fund to start off with and do some research before just diving in willy nilly to the stock market or your gonna get bit in the ass hard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top