Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:32:09 AM EDT
i go to Wal-Mart about once a month to stock up on things like TP, veggies and Mac and cheese.  i may pick up a rifle scope or check out the other "hunting junk" but i have stayed away from the meat dept.  but last weekend i got a package of chicken from them.  Last night i spend 1 hour cooking Chicken Alfredo and sit down to eat.  the pasta and sauce is excellent.  and i bite into the first piece of chicken and it's F@#$% soured!  so spit that shit back on the plate and dinner went down the disposal.  nasty, nasty, nasty!  i was ruined for about two hours.  

do you buy meat at Wal-Mart?  
not me  
pilgrims pride my ass!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It's Walmart.

You got the cheapest price.

What are you bitchin about?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
see, that's just it.
it's not the cheapest price anymore.  but i get your point.
who would buy discount meat?

me  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#3]
If the meat was that bad, you should have been able to smell it when you opened it.

There are like 4 meat packing companies in the US now.  ALL grocery store meat comes from basicly the same place.  You ain't doing anything other than wasting money buying meat at the high priced market as opposed to Wall Mart.  

Learning how to identify spoiled food is important.  Some food doesn't come with expiration dates, it just walks by...............
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#4]
WM's meat is water injected and nitrogen flushed to preserve it's apperance.

Also check out the lights in the meat case. The bulbs are special not your basic store light.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the meat was that bad, you should have been able to smell it when you opened it.

There are like 4 meat packing companies in the US now.  ALL grocery store meat comes from basicly the same place.  You ain't doing anything other than wasting money buying meat at the high priced market as opposed to Wall Mart.  

Learning how to identify spoiled food is important.  Some food doesn't come with expiration dates, it just walks by...............

True on the processing plants.

Major wrong on the meat is all the same.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Fruits and veggies are easy.  

I have never picked up a bad package of meat before.  How do you tell if you have a bad piece of meat or not, esp if it's wrapped in cellophane and you can’t smell it?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Was that the flash frozen stuff?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Walmart meat is injected with 12% to 15% saline solution along with several other things.  Sure the price might but when you factor in that you are paying $7 a pound for salt water the "great savings" isn't that great.  I've found that the meat is always tough no matter how you cook it.

That said, the only meat product that I buy is the 10lb bag of frozen chicken quarters for $4.49.  It's an amazing deal and since it's frozen it keeps better then the standard meat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#9]
No pics?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]
No I don't.

I used to, but I have found that it is bad 70% of the time. I might pick up something on occasion, but have had the worste luck with ground beef.

If I do get anything it is only for cooking very well and must me used that day.

I usually go to publix for the meat. They are usually pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:52:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Was this the Winchester White box chicken?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't even buy canned vegetables at Wally World!    

Anyway, I am always careful when I purchase any meat.  I have purchased bad meat on more than one occassion.  I got a roast home one time and as soon as I began unwrapping it, I could smell it!  Jeez, it was awful!  Another time I was looking a chicken, it was on sale for a really good price, so I thought why not stock up... throw some in the freezer.  Then I noticed it was "Plant Grade" chicken.  WTF?   I have never even heard of plant grade chicken.  I put it back and left the store.  (It was Kroger)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Fruits and veggies are easy.  

I have never picked up a bad package of meat before.  How do you tell if you have a bad piece of meat or not, esp if it's wrapped in cellophane and you can’t smell it?  

Look for discoloration as compared to other pieces of meat. Chicken will start to get a light tan to brown look. Usually if it's bad you can smell it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Was this the Winchester White box chicken?

I buy all my meat/poultry from a local butcher, or I buy a half-side of beef from a local cattleman or I shoot it myself.

After having seen meat processing plants up close....

BC
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:57:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had meat from Walmart before and it was fine. No different to any supermarket around here.

It could be that batch was unrefrigerated for longer than it should have been either in recieving or while they were stocking the shelves.

That happened to me in London (at a big supermarket chain), I bought some chicken breasts with the guy right there stocking the cooler, got it home and opened it and by God it was rancid. I took it straight back and made a fuss and they opened a few other packs and realised that the whole batch was no good because it had been sitting out for too long.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#16]

I buy all my meat/poultry from a local butcher

It's really the best bet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
............... or I buy a half-side of beef from a local cattleman or I shoot it myself.

BC

Where can a guy shoot his own half-side of beef?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

not me  
pilgrims pride my ass!

Only if there is no better choice in the area and I'm already at china-mart. I don't like their produce either.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I have never had bad meat from Walmart.

I did a 12lb brisket last week it was great.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Have never bought meat at any WalMart. The thought to buy meat from there has never entered my mind.
 Seems to be a store hell bent on profit. Very logical that they would be the least likely to toss out expired meat products / remove questionable food products from the floor.

On rare occasion I have ventured into a local WalMart to buy:

1. .40cal / 9mm ammo
2. a few bathroom items if the gf is with me ( soap - lotion - toothpaste )
3. an occasional birthday gift for a friends child ( pretty well stocked toy dept. )
4. 256 MB video card thing for our digital camera

Enter by the lawn & garden dept ( 99% less hassle ) pay at their register & leave by the lawn & garden dept.

Battling all the trailor trash in there for Nabisco cookies & pork chops just ain't my thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
............... or I buy a half-side of beef from a local cattleman or I shoot it myself.

BC

Okay...poorly worded.  I meant shoot it myself as in: Elk, mulie, whitetail, pigs, etc etc etc.

BC
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Wal-Mart has the worst meat just because it is injected with that garbage. I'll buy everything else grocery wise from there but I shop elsewhere for meat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#23]

If I do get anything it is only for cooking very well and must me used that day.

Good for you.  I cooked-out on the grill Sunday night at work, and the three of us that ate the hamburger meat I bought from Wal-Mart last Wednesday are still sick.  Cook the hamburger meat from Wal-Mart very well.  I like mine slightly pink, but I know better now.

If my meat grinder at home wasn't such a pain to clean, I'd buy the cheap Wal-Mart beef and make my own.

From now on I'm buying the box of fozen Angus paddies from Sams.  They're pretty good and easier than making my own paddies.  When you're cooking for ten guys, that makes a big difference.z
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#24]
give ALL meat the smell test before cooking it.  smell it, touch it and LOOK CLOSELY at it.  That should usually indicate whether or not it's still good.

i've had some good roasts and stuff from WM, you just need to screen it well
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:07:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You mean Camden Meat Locker is one of 4 companies who package meat? Daggone, that little place doesn't seem that big.

Point being. Buy your own locally and have it butchered for a significant price cheaper than even Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]
All supermarket meat has crap added to it. You really notice the difference when you buy meat from the farm market.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Also check out the lights in the meat case. The bulbs are special not your basic store light.

Indeed.

If you can, buy meat from a place with an actual butcher. They usually don't inject it with 9 kinds of awful stuff and will actually give you the cuts you want.

Wal-Mart's meats are pretty friggin bad.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i go to Wal-Mart about once a month to stock up on things like TP, veggies and Mac and cheese.  i may pick up a rifle scope or check out the other "hunting junk" but i have stayed away from the meat dept.  but last weekend i got a package of chicken from them.  Last night i spend 1 hour cooking Chicken Alfredo and sit down to eat.  the pasta and sauce is excellent.  and i bite into the first piece of chicken and it's F@#$% soured!  so spit that shit back on the plate and dinner went down the disposal.  nasty, nasty, nasty!  i was ruined for about two hours.  

not me  
pilgrims pride my ass!

I buy meat there all the time.  Never had a problem.  But you sure can get better meat from a butcher or decent supermarket butcher.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BC

Okay...poorly worded.  I meant shoot it myself as in: Elk, mulie, whitetail, pigs, etc etc etc.

BC

Sorry, things were slow on the AR side so I thought I’d keep the GD fellows company.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:10:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have never had bad meat from Walmart.

I did a 12lb brisket last week it was great.

Different Wal-Marts get their meats from different packing companies in different regions of the US. Whatever company they use to supply the Wal-Marts around here sucks major hosewater. Their meat is AWFUL.

Give me Food-Lion or Costco any day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
All supermarket meat has crap added to it. You really notice the difference when you buy meat from the farm market.

Not true.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#32]
For thos who have reading comprehension problems:

Wall Mart meat is IDENTICAL to what you find at all grocery stores.

Tysons foods DOES NOT havwe a Wall Mart only production facility.  The chickens sold at Wally World grew up with the chickens sold at Kroger.

The beef comes from the same farms, bought at the same cattle auctions.

There are different grades of meat sold at both Wall Mart and Kroger.  The exact same stuff is 25% less expensive if bought at Wall Mart as opposed to Kroger (or Pubix).

Come on down to Ga, and I will show you "meat on the hoof", how it is grown, fed, and sent to market.  

On a related note, how do you tell if the venison, turkey, dove is spoiled or not?  There is far more of that in my freezer than commercial meat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed.

If you can, buy meat from a place with an actual butcher. They usually don't inject it with 9 kinds of awful stuff and will actually give you the cuts you want.

Wal-Mart's meats are pretty friggin bad.

The problem is because of what WM is doing, most major grocery chains are moving towards their direction. Not quite to what WM does to their meat. But most pork comes prepackaged along with chickens. About the only real meat cutting they do is beef and that is beginning to slide into prepackaged also. Varies by chain of course.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Wall Mart meat is IDENTICAL to what you find at all grocery stores.Tysons foods DOES NOT havwe a Wall Mart only production facility.  The chickens sold at Wally World grew up with the chickens sold at Kroger.

There are different grades of meat sold at both Wall Mart and Kroger.  The exact same stuff is 25% less expensive if bought at Wall Mart as opposed to Kroger (or Pubix).

Come on down to Ga, and I will show you "meat on the hoof", how it is grown, fed, and sent to market.  

On a related note, how do you tell if the venison, turkey, dove is spoiled or not?  There is far more of that in my freezer than commercial meat.

Not true.

ETA: So what's the difference between roll and nonroll beef?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Bad meat can be had anywhere. Like mentioned earlier, test it before you cook it.

My wife has bought bad fish from K-mart. She returned it and was given double her money back……..store policy. She also had a bad duck this past Christmas from a local Kroger owned grocery store. That sucker smelled REALLY bad as soon as she opened the package! She got her money back on that one as well. Kinda set back the Christmas dinner a bit with the trip back to the store and lost time in the kitchen.

When I purchase meat, which is usually beef for making beef jerky, I always grab a package from the very back of the cooler. Plus I always check the dates of all the packages and pick the meat with the longer date.

Don’t know how many times I’ve walked down an isle only to see a pack of meat or some other perishable item laying on the shelf. Some lazy ass changed his mind and couldn’t walk back to replace the item where it belonged.  Always wonder if that item will be resold or thrown away.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Publix free range chicken is fantastic, problem is it costs more than double what Walmart charges for their regular chicken.

I made a Publix FRC on Sunday. My wife said it was the best chicken she ever had in her life.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Publix free range chicken is fantastic, problem is it costs more than double what Walmart charges for their regular chicken.

I made a Publix FRC on Sunday. My wife said it was the best chicken she ever had in her life.

Where are these public ranges located where a guy can shoot his own chicken for free?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You are absolutely incorrect.

Places that have butchers get their meat in an entirely different way than Wal-Mart. Places with actual butchers get basically untouched primals or entire sides from distributors. The butchers then cut it up and put it out in their meat departments.

Wal-Mart's meat cuts come in a box already pre-cut and pre-packaged. Part of that packaging is injecting with that horrid solution they use to prolong shelf life. Their cuts are usually not as good, and things like cube-steak are not given proper attention at those assembly line packing plants. You have to run cube-steak through the machine a few times to work out all the toughness. The packing plants make one half-assed pass and you end up with beef flavored chewing gum.

There is a HUUGE difference in how places with an actual butcher deals with meat and how Wal-Mart deals with it.

Wal-Mart's method is certainly cheaper, but by no means better.

Now things like chicken that has been pre-packaged by Tyson or Perdue etc and is labeled as such, you are going to find the same thing at Wal-Mart that you would anywhere else.

But when it comes to beef and even pork, you are FAR better off going to a place with an actual butcher.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wall Mart meat is IDENTICAL to what you find at all grocery stores.Tysons foods DOES NOT havwe a Wall Mart only production facility.  The chickens sold at Wally World grew up with the chickens sold at Kroger.

Not true.

Let us compare apples to apples, OK?

A whole chicken at wally world (packed by Tyson's) is exactly the same thing you fine everywhere.

A NY cut steak, Is exactly the same thing you will find at Wally world and the big named stores.

If you are buying "meat products", you have to compare to the same product.

If you think there is a difference, then the marketing guys at Pubix and Krotcher are earning their money (from you, in part).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Don’t know how many times I’ve walked down an isle only to see a pack of meat or some other perishable item laying on the shelf. Some lazy ass changed his mind and couldn’t walk back to replace the item where it belonged.  Always wonder if that item will be resold or thrown away.

The one good thing that my local Wal-Mart does is rotate their meat out and give it away to homeless shelters and such. I've never seen any out of date meat there but then again I have to cover my eyes just so I don't go blind because of the bright color it has. I bet that crap could survive a nuclear blast and still be juicy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Wall Mart meat is IDENTICAL to what you find at all grocery stores.

Tysons foods DOES NOT havwe a Wall Mart only production facility.  The chickens sold at Wally World grew up with the chickens sold at Kroger.

Yes, both Wal-Mart and Food-Lion get their beef from cows.

I don't think anyone is arguing to the contrary.

But there is a BIG difference in how that meat is packaged and treated before you buy it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

A whole chicken at wally world (packed by Tyson's) is exactly the same thing you fine everywhere.

True.

A NY cut steak, Is exactly the same thing you will find at Wally world and the big named stores.

WRONG.

A place like Food lion gets an untouched, untreated, un-injected primal or side, and the butcher on-site cuts the primals or the side up and cuts the NY strip steak that HE packages and that HE puts out in the meat department for you to buy.

BIG difference.

Indeed. With Wal-Mart's beef, you are getting something that has been cut by the lowest wage worker they can find and that has been injected and treated to maintain "color" and shelf life. It is then packaged and boxed up and sent to the store where it is put on the shelf.

Whereas Food-Lion buys primals or sides and cuts their own meat without injecting it with 9 kinds of stuff. When Food-Lion's meat looks fresh, that's because it IS fresh.

If you think there is a difference, then the marketing guys at Pubix and Krotcher are earning their money (from you, in part).

Or perhaps you happen to actually know what you are talking about.....

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Places that have butchers get their meat in an entirely different way than Wal-Mart. Places with actual butchers get basically untouched primals or entire sides from distributors. The butchers then cut it up and put it out in their meat departments.

Wal-Mart's meat cuts come in a box already pre-cut and pre-packaged. Part of that packaging is injecting with that horrid solution they use to prolong shelf life. Their cuts are usually not as good, and things like cube-steak are not given proper attention at those assembly line packing plants. You have to run cube-steak through the machine a few times to work out all the toughness. The packing plants make one half-assed pass and you end up with beef flavored chewing gum.

There is a HUUGE difference in how places with an actual butcher deals with meat and how Wal-Mart deals with it.

Now things like chicken that has been pre-packaged by Tyson or Perdue etc and is labeled as such, you are going to find the same thing at Wal-Mart that you would anywhere else.

But when it comes to beef and even pork, you are FAR better off going to a place with an actual

butcher.

Sorry, but you do not know the realities of the meat industry.  Your local butcher does not properly sanitize his equipment properly.  There is a huge problem with cross conamination in the "butcher shop" meats.

The last year I produced commercial beef, I sold over 10 tons (yes I said tons) of the stuff on the market.  I know who bought it and where it went.  Got receipts to prove it.  

Bottom line, you pay more for the SAME product at the name brand stores.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.

No? I don't notice a difference in free range meat?

Okay.

My local Tops market has a butcher counter. One night I needed ground beef, but the meat counter was closed so I grabbed a pack from the cooler shelf. I mean, they have a butcher there, so it should be fine right? Prepared by a butcher... I get it home and open it and they had wrapped fresh red meat around older brown meat. (of course I took it back)

The meat has the crap added to it at the source, ie; the animal. Antibiotics, steroids... feeding animals the remains of other animals...

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.

Meat like any other commodity (ie, produce, lumber, steel) has different grades.

Such as A, B, C, D, E grades. Grocery companies buy products based on grades. Now the meat might come from the same processing plant but each company has it's own specs as to the grade they buy.

Again. The meat is not the same.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Your local butcher does not properly sanitize his equipment properly.  There is a huge problem with cross conamination in the "butcher shop" meats.

Some shops have a problem with that.

Good ones do not.

The last year I produced commercial beef, I sold over 10 tons (yes I said tons) of the stuff on the market.  I know who bought it and where it went.  Got receipts to prove it.  

And I know a few folks who have unloaded the trucks.

Food-lion gets primals and sides.

Walmart gets pre-packaged cuts.

That represents a huge difference in how the meat is handled.

No, you don't.

At Wal-Mart you get a bunch of injected meat that has been in the package longer than you would at Food-Lion.

There you get meat that was shipped to the store as a primal or an entire side, hasn't been injected by a bunch of nasty stuff, and that was most likely cut off the primal the morning of the day you buy the meat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But when it comes to beef and even pork, you are FAR better off going to a place with an actual

butcher.

Sorry, but you do not know the realities of the meat industry.  Your local butcher does not properly sanitize his equipment properly.  There is a huge problem with cross conamination in the "butcher shop" meats.

WM does not have butcher issues becuase they don't have any butchers. It's all precut at the processing facility. Not at the store level.

10 tons? Big deal. That's only half a truck load. ONE meat market doing $50,000 in sales go through that much in week. ONE STORE. A drop in the bucket.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#49]
The Great ARFCOM Meat Debate of 2006!

Proof that on ARFCOM, you can find two experts who will argue for a couple of pages about meat.

God, I love this site.  

BC
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
WM does not have butcher issues becuase they don't have any butchers. It's all precut at the processing facility. Not at the store level.

10 tons? Big deal. That's only half a truck load. ONE meat market doing $50,000 in sales go through that much in week. ONE STORE. A drop in the bucket.

Exactly.

When I was a kid and worked at a grocery store, we would go through 10 tons of beef in about a week and a half. Selling ten tons of beef doesn't make you an expert.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top