Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 3:07:22 AM EDT
I got a set of Kimber Warroir grips off the EE and I would like them to be a darker color. I'd like to dye them maybe a green, brown, grey, or black. Can this be done? Any homebrew suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Duracoat maybe?  I've never tried it but it has a good reputation.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
RIT Dye double boiler keep heat just enough to make uncomfortable to hands. Let simmer for 45 minutes turning them often. Worked for wifes grips and won't scratch off.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
RIT Dye double boiler keep heat just enough to make uncomfortable to hands. Let simmer for 45 minutes turning them often. Worked for wifes grips and won't scratch off.

Can you explain a bit further? Do I just use regular RIT dye? Welcome to Arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The way I did it was the color rit dye I wanted I used two packs and enough water to three quaters fill a medium glass bowl.

Filled a large pot with water and placed on stove brought to almost a boil with the glass bowl floating inside the pot, poor mans double boiler.

Dye in the bowl heats very evenly this way and the grips are not sitting on the heat source. Lowered grips into bowl and turned them every 5-10 minutes. 45 minutes later or when desired shade is achived remove from bowl and rinsed let dry held up for over a year now scratches are hardly visible the warm dye penetrates really deep into the grips.

Don't get too hot as to not melt or deform the resins.

hope it helps..
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you clean them off afterwards? Any come off on your hands when you shoot?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]

enough
Post Number :: 1

Quoted:

Post whore!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]

enough
Post Number :: 1

Hmmmmm......two and a half years of stalking before posting? I guess "welcome" isn't really appropriate, but thanks for finally joining in and posting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Clean off run under warm water till dye quits comming off. No color on hands when shooting or on clothes for daily carry.

Now I believe but could be wrong the warrior grips are Micarta, this should still dye since it is layered with epoxy. The color may not be as true as with Ajax or other light composits. You can all ways go darker if you don't like the results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top