Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 9:56:08 PM EDT
I have never seen any leather or skin/hide grips (pistol grip, forend, cheek rest, backstrap, and so on).  I have never used one, but I see nothing inherently wrong with them and think that people would enjoy them.   Something like saddle leather 1911 grips  I think could  be great.

Any thoughts of why they should/should not be more available?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweat and solvents.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sweat and solvents.

thread killed with three words....a new record, congrats!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sweat and solvents.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweat and solvents.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweat and solvents.

I disagree.   Horse saddles, motorcycle seats, and  professional bicycle courier seats take much more abuse in a day than many guns take in a lifetime.  They are exposed to constant friction, sweat, rain, snow, dirt, oil, temperature change,  and whatnot and still can hold up for years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweat and solvents.

I disagree.   Horse saddles, motorcycle seats, and  professional bicycle courier seats take much more abuse in a day than many guns take in a lifetime.  They are exposed to constant friction, sweat, rain, snow, dirt, oil, temperature change,  and whatnot and still can hold up for years.

de greasing gun solvent would suck all the moisture out of leather and cause it to crack and fall appart.  don't believe me? try wiping your forehead with a tissue soaked in rubbing alcohol.  feels dry don't it?  imagine something 10x stronger on your skin, and that's what solvent would do to leather
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess he's never seen a pistol left in a leather holster too long.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I AM A HOMOSEXUAL AND LOVE MEN.  I POST ON TOPICS I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, BUT HAVE AN OPINION ANYWAY.  DID I MENTION I LOVE TEH COCK.  I HAVE TONS OF VIDEOS OF MEN IN THE SHOWER. I LOVE TO POST. LOOK AT MY POST COUNT.  

Soon going to be testing a P99 leather backstap :D

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I AM A HOMOSEXUAL AND LOVE MEN.  I POST ON TOPICS I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, BUT HAVE AN OPINION ANYWAY.  DID I MENTION I LOVE TEH COCK.  I HAVE TONS OF VIDEOS OF MEN IN THE SHOWER. I LOVE TO POST. LOOK AT MY POST COUNT.  

WTF happend here?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
We can also add to the list that leather when soaked often will not hold its shape and often becomes very slick.  Leather that has been wet for some time can start to grow mold, etc.

All this said, it seems the KBAR knifes had leather grips and I have an older hunting knife that has a leather grip.  Kind of like leather washers compressed together.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Didnt they use leather cheek rests for the sniper version of the M1 Garand?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
And leather gun slings take much handling.

I think leather grips on a gun would have to be easily removable like slings so that gun cleaning solvents wouldn't hurt it.

Very good question. I am trying to think of any leather grips/stock for guns in history. The most used would be the rawhide used by Indians & cowboys to repair broken stocks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF happend here?

hmm...interesting

smallmonkey declares a fondness for leather

and

NT comes screaming out of the closet

again...this has become quite an interesting thread
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I LOVE SUCKING COCK!  YOU SHOULD COME OVER AND WE COULD SUCK EACHOTHER!

I really am suprised more people have not abused the ability to edit quotes.

As for leather grips.  Leather knife grips seem to hold up pretty well.  I don't get why gun grips would not work too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW Just WOW.. Sound like fun time, Im in for thirds!!

Dude thats just wrong..
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOW THIS IS A THREAD I CAN MASTURBATE TO!

this is getting bad
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you need help? I have lube.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLD ON, I'LL COME OVER AND HELP YOU, I'LL BRING THE "KY"

THIS IS JUST WRONG
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I got scolded once by the powers that be for changing quotes

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Locked for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top