Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 8:31:29 PM EDT
All I had for dinner tonight was a glass of milk and a hearty salad. Now I have a scorching case of heartburn. How is this even possible?

</random post>
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, what was in the salad?  It couldn't have been just lettuce.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
it is punishment for eating non-man food.

salad is what food eats!

in reality, could be a bunch of things.  stress? what did you have for lunch?  what about the salad dressing? could have been vinegary?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, what was in the salad?  It couldn't have been just lettuce.

Lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, and a smidgen of honey mustard dressing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you have AIDS.
You know I'm kidding.

Maybe bad dressing?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that just isn't very nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Honey mustard might have aggravated a pre-existing stomach condition.

Do you have frequent heartburn or upset stomach?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Could be the vinegar, which is acid...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
can i have your guns?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
iceberg lettuce gives me scorching acid reflux. romane and spinach are fine, but for me iceberg is punishment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
All I had for dinner tonight was a glass of milk and a hearty salad. Now I have a scorching case of heartburn.

How old are you?

Not calling you an old geezer but at a certain age men cannot tolerate dairy products well.  Usually kicks in around 40.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember pain is weakness leaving the body.  Heartburn just means the weakness is trying to leave your stomach.

By the way if you have heartburn at night try sleeping on yer left side, for some reason that helps.  And stay away from tums them things will keel you.

-mort
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All I had for dinner tonight was a glass of milk and a hearty salad. Now I have a scorching case of heartburn.

How old are you?

Not calling you an old geezer but at a certain age men cannot tolerate dairy products well.  Usually kicks in around 40.  

I'm about 19 years too early for that to start happening .
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps you are developing GERD, where the little flap at the top of the stomach fails to keep acid from flooding into the lower esophagus. This can be dangerous over time, and can lead to a 30 times greater risk of esophageal cancer. If these symptoms persist, see your doctor for  a possible reference to a gastro-enterologist. There are drugs available that can completely eliminate these symptoms and eliminate further damage.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, atleast you'll die with alot of money.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Could be the vinegar, which is acid...

+1

Orange juice, pork products, and vinegar always give me heartburn.  Once I cut them out of my diet, I've been fine ever since.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Could be mild food poisoning.

Salad is one of the biggest problems because workers often deficate in the fields where they work with predictable results.  

That, and its not cooked.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
By the way if you have heartburn at night try sleeping on yer left side, for some reason that helps.  
-mort

Gravity, the acid has a harder time entering your duodenum (part of your esophagus that connects to the stomach) because of the way it connects to the stomach. The acid drains more quickly from the duodenum as well when you're lying on your left side.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#18]
For some reason salad gives me heartburn too.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For some reason salad gives me heartburn too.

Lettuce gives me heartburn. I eat very little rabbit food so my body has a hard time digesting lettuce.

It is almost like lactose intolerance, I can only eat a little lettuce at a sitting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#20]
out of nowhere i started getting heartburn a little over a year ago.  never having this before i didnt know what it was.  it went on for about a 2 months before it started freaking me out.  (thought i was having a heart attack every day)  went to the doctor to find out that i had a helicobacter pylori infection in my stomach.  i had to go on two different pill regiments to kill it.  the first time didnt work, so i had to try more pills.  i ended up having to take 18 pills a day for 2 weeks..  oh but this wasnt the end.  since i was stupid and let the reflux go on for so long, i had damage to my esophagus.  because of that i was on Prevacid for quite a while.  it finally went away, but i sometimes still get a little reflux.

moral of the story...if it doesnt stop, see a doctor ASAP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top