Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 7:17:12 AM EDT
I am suffering from generation gap... man I ever thought I would say that at 36... but I really have no clue about MP3 players...  My oldest is 8 and she is driving us a little nuts because she wants to listen to her CDs all the time and we have been considering getting her an inexpensive MP3 player.

1st question - Is this a bad idea for her hearing...  I know I had a small walkman when I was younger and that the hearing loss has served me well now that I have kids and a wife

2nd question - Can I get a MP3 player in the $20 to $25 range?  I hope to use the WMA format as it would be easier for me to convert her CDs to WMA on windows media player then some other system.  Would one of the small units (say 128MB or 256MB) serve her OK given she only has about three or four CDs that she wants to listen to OVER and OVER AGAIN?

Thanks for any advise as I am just a fish out of water when it comes to this!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I am thinking that you can't get around the hearing loss.

$30 seems to be as low as  you can go.  Perhaps sticking with just a plain old discman is ideal.

A 512 mp3 player can be had for $42 and that would hold 3-4 discs easy I think.

I still use my little 128 for when I go running.

MP3 Players

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey I have this if you want for 30 bucks.

buyriteelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MZNF610&Category_Code=_MINIDISCS

it doesnt have headphone or remote but I do have the usb , and a minidisc .

batteries last about 36 hours in it and i'll download the software for it for you and burn it for you .\

the software convererts all mp3's and cd's and stores it on the disc

The recording ability of an MP3 portable, the versatility of MiniDisc, and radio playback! Like all of Sony's hot Net MD recorders, the MZ-NF610 gives you a direct USB connection for transferring audio from your computer to MiniDisc at up to 32 times normal playback speed (audio is stored in ATRAC™ or ATRAC3™ format). Plus, the 'NF610's minijack input lets you record from a CD player or other audio source — just connect an optional cable. But this MD portable goes an extra step, and adds a radio tuner that can receive AM, FM, TV, and weather band broadcasts!
The tuner's housed in a handy stick-style remote, so you'll get easy control for MiniDisc playback, too. Tired of replacing alkaline batteries? The MZ-NF610's included rechargeable provides up to 17 hours of play in LP4 mode. If you need more playback time, you can listen for up to 53 hours using a single "AA" alkaline!

When you're recording or listening at home, use the convenient AC adapter to power the player. The MZ-NF610's bookmark function lets you easily access your favorite MD tracks. And there's no need to worry about your music skipping — even during workouts — thanks to Sony's G-Protection™.

converts MP3, WMA, and WAV files to ATRAC (or ATRAC3 in LP2 or LP4 mode) for MiniDisc playback
mini-USB jack (cable included)
"Easy Skip" group/folder function
in-line remote control with built-in AM/FM/TV/weather band tuner
minijack input (stereo analog and mini-optical digital)
no microphone input
2 digital sound presets
G-Protection skip recovery system
Automatic Volume Limiter System
stereo headphones
AC adapter
one 74-minute MiniDisc
playback time in LP4 mode: up to 17 hours with included rechargeable battery
includes Simple Burner and Sonic Stage™ software CD-ROM
3-5/16"W x 1-3/16"H x 3"D
weight: 3.6 oz. without battery

The MZ-NF610 offers high-speed transfer from a PC via a direct USB connection (up to 32x speed in LP4 mode) and can record more than five hours of music on one 80-minute minidisc (using LP4 mode).

shoot me a pm , its just sitting here not being used.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag because I have been thinkin' about one and have no clue also
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
hearing lost will still be there, unless you can teach them to keep volume low.

can't recommend a cheap player, but search eBay for a cheap 256mb minimum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top