Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 5:13:07 AM EDT
I listed a pistol to trade for a scope. Immideately a guy sent me a email wanting to trade a scope worth about $100.00 more than my pistol. That was a red flag to me, one sided trade. So the guy wanted me to just ship him the pistol, very friendly, just ship that little pistol to me and I will send you this scope and we will both be happy. I insisted on sending the pistol to a FFL, he tried to gold ol'boy me outta that, when I pressed for his screen name and where did he see the add for the pistol, and FFL info, he disappeared.  So either he could not legally own a firearm or I guess it could have been one of the alphabet boys fishing. The only way I do things is legally and by the book, I am not going to risk my freedom and financial security of my family for anything, period! Just wondering have any of you had this experience?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:59:12 AM EDT
[#1]
no, but it is pretty weird.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, scope was probably stolen, so he had no money in it and looking for an untracable gun.

Still got the email he sent?  Look in the header info and get the IP address of the system he sent it from. Do a reverse lookup and see if it's listed as belonging to a gov't entity (then that means he's an alphabet boy) or see where the IP comes up in the country/region.

Good call on doing it legit or not at all.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I use aol and the From: just shows his email no ip info, is there a way to see that? His email is Edited
I'm not really worried about it, just concerned that a possible felon tried to get a gun from me, pretty scary that is.

5.) Posting of someone else's personal contact information (home phone numbers, home addresses, unpublished e-mail addresses, and the like).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Steve I think you did the right thing in avoiding a dangerous transaction but I'm not sure it's a good idea to post his e-mail address here. We still only know your side of the story--no offense.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
How about posting a usename?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have done the same in the past.  Walk away if anything doesn't seem right.  You did good.  

If it happened here on the EE, send details to someone on Staff.  I imagine they would be interested.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Ooops, sorry about the email id, I forgot about that, my bad. The guy conventetly forgot to give me his user name when I asked for it twice. He also forgot to tell me on which board he saw the add when I asked for that info ( I wanted to notify the board admin of what happened). I have the add  here on the EE and on the Preditor hunter board. So, no harm done, I was not about to do anything illegal or even close to it.  I have several emails from him, I insisted that he see pics of the gun all the while he was saying, 'just send it to me it will be fine'. Then when I requested a FFL he said, 'can't you break it down, dosen't the barrel come off by removing a pin', implying that I send it to him in pieces. That was a big red flag and I knew something was up. So after the last email from me insisting on a FFL I have not heard from him.  Not a big deal, just wondering if any of you guys had a similar experience because it was a first for me. I thought about playing along just to get his name and address and then notifying the alphabet boys becasue it sure seemed that he was prohibited from owning a firearm and he was trying real hard to get one from me which if that was the case would really piss me off not to menton get me in a world of trouble.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC its not illegal to sell/transfer a firearm to someone, you dont even necessarily need a reciept or go through an FFL. Now if its outta state that is different
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
We are talking about outa state. But even so, I always have a transfer done,  gives me peace of mind that I am selling a gun to someone that is legal and if I am buying a gun it protects me if the gun turns out to be stolen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top