Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
thanks guys for all the advise i really appritiate it, and i know there are great responsibility and danger when reloading but if i take my time and doa few each night real slow and make sure i do everything right i will be fine and alsoi have a buddy that reloads so i have watched and i will also have him watch and help me with my set up but this is how i am gonna start

dillion 550b
rock chucker single stage press
hornady dies
lyman electronic powder thrower, and digi scale
back up beam scale
and the little things like bullet holders, and trays, and bullet pullers and calipers and shit

good deal i nise well start spending my money
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
thats what i am gonna do im gonna start out with everything i need that is top of the line and will always serve my needs
the equipment i have chosen will serve any need of mine unless i decide to commercialy reload which i never will,

and in regards to a post above there isnt anybody tat is gonna keep me from selling my ammo to my buddies, i didnt say i was gonna sell to public and like i said after sellin to my buddies i will make my money back even faster
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
and in regards to a post above there isnt anybody tat is gonna keep me from selling my ammo to my buddies, i didnt say i was gonna sell to public and like i said after sellin to my buddies i will make my money back even faster

Just remember, every round you make is YOUR responsibility. You're not a manufacturer, there is no waiver or agreement that's going to protect you if one of your rounds blows up, so your buddies better understand (as well as you), that they are putting their face on the line with every squeeze of the trigger. I hate to be melodramatic, but it's true.

I don't sell or give away my reloads. I cannot guarantee that every round I make is safe. Until I can, my neck is the only one I'm willing to risk. Even experienced, seasoned reloaders fuck up once and a while. Would you like your friends to suck up those mistakes?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Lee Loadmaster.  It takes some time to get used to and requires a certain touch - but is fast, rock solid and dependable - at a fraction of the price of blue.  If you want somthing that a chimp can crank out ammo on - drink the coolade.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
ide just assume drink the coolaid and not have any need later on to upgrade

as far as the ammo i will bemaking im not worried at all besides how will it be any different then buying a 1k worth of bulk ammo! as long as you use top quality products and dont rush the reloading process everything will be fine,  im not gonna puch my luck with brass im gonna use all new stuff till im seasoned with selecting used brass, and as fas as that im not to worried
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
ok buy the 550. but keep in mind it doesn't auto index. don't whine when you blow your hand off due to a double charge.

i don't use anything unless it auto indexs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thanks guys for all the advise i really appritiate it, and i know there are great responsibility and danger when reloading but if i take my time and doa few each night real slow and make sure i do everything right i will be fine and alsoi have a buddy that reloads so i have watched and i will also have him watch and help me with my set up but this is how i am gonna start

dillion 550b
rock chucker single stage press
hornady dies
lyman electronic powder thrower, and digi scale
back up beam scale
and the little things like bullet holders, and trays, and bullet pullers and calipers and shit

good deal i nise well start spending my money

Very good setup selection.

Personally I would lose the electronic powder thrower.  That's just my opinion.
I've been reloading for over 35 years and have tried many reloading options - the electronic powder thrower works but it is much slower than I can do it by hand.  But if you want it - get it....

The digital scale is a great item.  I have the Dillon electronic scale and couldn't live without it!  I haven't used my beam scale in so long I can't remember...

Start slow and have a good time - you'll enjoy reloading!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
ya im not sure on the powder thrower i thought it would speed things up,

tell me more about this auto indexing thing people are warning me about,

they say the Kool-aid machine doesnt have auto index does that mean if i dont pay attention i could accidently try to re-prime a loaded round and make it go off,
OR:
does that mean it could dump two charges of powder into on case?

i wasnt aware of this and is it really something i should worry about? after all i will be starting out with the rock chucker single satge till im comfortable im just gonna buy it all at once and save some money
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ya im not sure on the powder thrower i thought it would speed things up,

tell me more about this auto indexing thing people are warning me about,

they say the Kool-aid machine doesnt have auto index does that mean if i dont pay attention i could accidently try to re-prime a loaded round and make it go off,
OR:
does that mean it could dump two charges of powder into on case?

i wasnt aware of this and is it really something i should worry about? after all i will be starting out with the rock chucker single satge till im comfortable im just gonna buy it all at once and save some money

The Dillon does not auto index.  Let me try to explain.
The stations on the Dillon are progressed by manually rotating the shell plate, in normal/typical operation you would:

First place a new or fired case in the first station and pull the handle, this sizes and de-primes the case.  Then return the handle and push it forward to seat the new primer.

Now you have to manually rotate the shell holder baseplate to locate the case to the next station - the case mouth bell and powder charge.  

You also load another empty case into the first station.

Now pull/push the handle again to size/deprime/reprime the first station while case mouth belling and powder charging the second station.

Now you have to manually rotate the shell plate again to relocate the cases to the next stage.

At this point you place another empty case in stage one and place a bullet on top of the charged case at stage three and pull/push the handle again.  This sizes/deprimes/reprimes station one, case mouth bells and powder charges stage two, and seats the bullet in stage three.

Then manually rotate the shell plate and repeat the above operations.

Now.  Since the shell plate has to be manually rotated to index each station you can see that if for some reason you pull the handle - forget to rotate the shell plate - and pull the handle again, you in fact WILL double charge the case under the powder drop!  This is not a good thing.  You will not accidentally cause a round to discharge though.  (It'll blow in your firearm...)

I've owned my Dillon 550B for about 15 years now and have never double charged a case but I do pay close attention to what I am doing.

Auto indexing does make sure that each stage is automatically incremented although in my reloading experience it is possible to defeat that feature if you try....

I don't feel that the lack of auto indexing on the 550B is any detriment at all to safe reloading if you are a careful and attentive - if it were I don't think you would be seeing so many thumbs-up for the Dillon....

Best of luck to you -
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
thank you you so very much for exsplaning that i totaly understand

if i did have a Blue machine (550) i would not use the powder charger i think i would manualy put the charge of powder in after messuring it with the lyman Powder thrower and digi scale  but i would always have the automatic charger on the (550b) if i ever wanted to later on down the road to make more time efficient round but for my sake i think i would choose to manulay dump powder in at first while im a rookie reloader. i think this would greatly improve my safety  while im learning

great input guys i really thank you for helping me out,

im actualy thinking about not getting the Rock Chucker  now just cause i can use the (550b) just like i would use the Rock Chucker  the only difference is this:

i would dont have to change dies going through the process of each step, i would have to just turn the plate to another die instead of threading a new die in

i would have the capability to do faster reloading down the road when im comfortable
and i can accessorize a Blue machine pretty exstensivly  without buying a new high dollar machine
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#12]
this is now the set up i will be getting:

Blue 550b machine
appropiate dies (9mm, and .45 cal for now do to simplicity and easy learning)
Lyman electronic powder thrower
Lyman Digital scale
bullet puller
case trimmer
tumbler
and trays
O YA A GOOD BOOK ALSO

what book do you guys suggest i buy should i buy one centered on pistol rounds for now? also i want one that can exsplain everything i need to know but at thesame time is easy to understand, meaning for a rookie i dont need big words and terms, haha

thanks guys once again im so glad i found this forum,  you go anywhere else and the sales guy will try to sell you his machine or his gun, or his ammo and this site is just loaded with good people who really know there stuff and im all about listening to guys with knowledge and exsperience saves me time, money,, and fustration
this site kicks ass
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#13]
o ya in this book i would like it to exsplain the different characteristics of each powder, and what each powder is good to use for, and so on

goona be loading for range (cheaper the betta)
and target and match shooting (some will be hotter like range rounds, and some i want to mess with light loading  for less recoil and easy rapid fire shoots  call me a sissy but the guys on tv do it and i love how they make it look like they are shooting a .22cal, cant wait
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
o ya in this book i would like it to exsplain the different characteristics of each powder, and what each powder is good to use for, and so on goona be loading for range (cheaper the betta)
and target and match shooting (some will be hotter like range rounds, and some i want to mess with light loading  for less recoil and easy rapid fire shoots  call me a sissy but the guys on tv do it and i love how they make it look like they are shooting a .22cal, cant wait

Huh?  What load are you going to use for your Deagle?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally, I think if you're not going to use the powder station on your press, you're sorta defeating
the purpose. You might as well go with a turret press. The 550 only has four stations, so you can't
really use a powder cop die or similar, but if you pay attention you won't double charge a case. If you're
really worried about that happening, use a bulky powder. For most calibers, there are a couple of powders
that will overflow the case if you double charge. The 550 isn't my favorite machine, but it is a good,
solid unit, and you shouldn't have to worry about serious problems unless YOU make a mistake.

If you try to double prime a case, YOU WILL KNOW that something is up. The press will stop, and have
NOTICEABLY more resistance. Use a bulky powder, if there's no room for a bullet, then you double
charged. These guys who actually own 550's probably have tons of little suggestions for smooth
operation. Good luck, and enjoy.

Sam
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#16]
im only not gonna use the powder station on the press  because i am new but i will end up using it after a few hundred rounds,  butt for more precise rounds i wouldnt use it i would weigh everything
therefore by buying the digi scale and having the powder station i will have more options in how i want to load that day
might want to load a few round very precisly and try them
or i might just want to get a bunch together to go shoot the range up
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top