Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 5:03:26 PM EDT
I know that it's best to keep ammo in a cool/dry place. But I'm running out of room inside my house and I have plenty of room in my 3.5 car garage to store all of my ammo cans.

I'm in Texas. I'm concerned that in the 100F+ degree summer heat, and a car with a hot engine in my garage, I could expose the ammo to heat in excess of 130F degrees for several weeks each year. And a few months of 80-100F w/ a hot car in the garage.

How bad is it gonna screw with my ammo if I store it in the garage? I have maybe 20,000+ rounds and some of it may not be shot for 10+ years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep some of mine in the garage, and in Minnesota we get both extreme heat and cold

No problems ever
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't unless I were going to shoot it up within a few months to a year.  Hot / Cold can really effect the ammo.

Stack it under your bed, under your computer desk, closets, kitchen shelves, bookshelves etc.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not do it unless I had a garage with humidity and climate control, or the ammo was vacuum packed.

have any extra luggage store in a walk-in closet? Makes a good place for ammo storage if you don't travel a lot. (Just don't forget where you put it. )
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#6]
1. In military surplus ammo cans which are water proof you'll be fine.

BUT>>>>

It would make it easier for anyone who knew about it to steal it from you.

Or actually you could seal it with one of those foodsaver hickey's in vacuum sealed plastic.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]
You can store it in my safe. With the usual holder's fee.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Consensus? Stack it high, and stack it deep.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Sir, FWIW almost all my ammo is stored in USGI ammo cans stacked against the side wall of my garage.  I've never experienced any problems that might be attributed to this storage location.  I have approximately forty cans stored this way.  I live in SE Virginia, it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter but not as bad or for as long as Minnesota.  HTH, 7zero1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top