Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2006 4:56:34 PM EDT
I've been looking to buy a quality flashlight.  I like the incandescent surefire lights.  The P6/G2 are good traditional lights that can double as weapon lights with an aftermarket tailcap, but I hate the fact that the batteries are so hard / expensive to come buy.  You basically have to order them on line.

I'm also leaning towards a LED light, because I like the whiteness of the beam and the fact that the bulb will never wear out.  Perhaps something like a Pelican M6, of course that too has the costly 123 lithium battary issue.

What do you guys like?  What are your favorite lights?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
only pic I had of it.

Quoted:
but I hate the fact that the batteries are so hard / expensive to come buy.

www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/97/prrfnbr/685
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Inova X03

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The one that works when I pick it up...!
PS---Have a 13yo skull buster SL-20X Streamlight rechargeable that still kicks butt...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, that E2D is a sweet light.  I think there's also an exchangable led head for the best of both worlds.  Just a bit pricy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up an Inova Microlight tonight. What a cool little light. $6
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Brown Surefire G2...I wish batteries lasted longer though
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
IN order from most lumens to fewest lumens....

Thor 10X
Surefire M6
Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer
Surefire L4
Inova X5 red LEDs

Those are my favs right now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a green G2. Great light/price. I can't help but think of a flashlight as disposable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
only pic I had of it.
nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album03/45_carry.sized.jpg

Quoted:
but I hate the fact that the batteries are so hard / expensive to come buy.

www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/97/prrfnbr/685

I love my E2D.

The 6P and my G2 are nice as well.

Can never have enough Lights!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Second one down on this page.  Inexpensive ($25 or so)if you want to test out LED lights, runs on AA's, tailcap functions like a surefire (push momentary, rotate on).  Bought one for my cheapskate dad who could not get himself to pay that much for a flashlight.  HE loves it.  Carries it all the time now.

123a batts are not too expensive if you shop on the net, surefire has them for $1.25 a pop, and you can find them for a buck a pop elsewhere.

I carry a Nuwai light.  I do not know how I lived without an EDC flashlight for so long.

check out flashlight reviews for TONS of more info.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
surefires for the pistols....

streamlights AA & 3C's for general purpose....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thor 10X
Surefire M6
Surefire L4
Inova X5 red LEDs

And people think BRD is bad.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Headlights are good
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Inova T4

LED
Rechargeable
Bright
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
large - Maglight 4 cell
small - Surefire, E2D to be specific.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Surefire E2E nice little light.
Picked it up new off ebay for $70 with shipping
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Headlights are good

there is a guy at candlepowerforums.com that fit an automobile HID headlight into a 3-C maglight!  runs off of CR123's.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
123a batts are not too expensive if you shop on the net, surefire has them for $1.25 a pop, and you can find them for a buck a pop elsewhere.

Surefire's price went up way higher than $1.25 a while ago, but there are ways to get other good 123's for about $1 each.  Join Candlepowerforums to find out how.

I love my E2L, you can't beat an LED light with such a strong throw that lasts for 3 hours in regulation and 3 more hours of diminishing light, all in a very easily EDC-able package.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI:   batterystation.com  has good reviews on their cr123's, cheap too
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Fleshlight....

Actually, I have a cheapy LED light from Wal-Mart that does pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Surefire's price went up way higher than $1.25 a while ago, but there are ways to get other good 123's for about $1 each.  Join Candlepowerforums to find out how.

I love my E2L, you can't beat an LED light with such a strong throw that lasts for 3 hours in regulation and 3 more hours of diminishing light, all in a very easily EDC-able package.

Crap, they were $1.25 just a little while ago..dernit.  I am a member of CPF, but I don't hang there much anymore, BRD already weighs heavily on the wallet.....Flashlights were going to be the end of me.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#22]

The HellFire X-11 Tactical Entry light is the most advanced weapon mountable entry light on the market today. Its shock-isolated bulb can endure the pounding of large caliber automatic weapons fire. Its patent pending striker ring at the bezel is designed to shatter glass in law enforcement interdiction activities. The officer can crack through the driver's window with the same hand holding the light, rather than shoot out the rear window as the car drives off.

With construction of the world's toughest materials and ftesting labs in the battle zones of Baghdad and south-central Los Angeles, the HellFire X-11 has the proven reliability required for lethal environments. The striker bezel is made from 1045 through hardened steel. The body is made of aircraft grade 6061 T6 511 aluminum, with the most comprehensive finishing and anti-corrosion treatments on the market today! It is alodined for conductivity enhancement, Type II or III anodized for protection from the environment, and triple coated with molybdenum disulfide and manganese phosphate finishing. The dedicated gun modules are Class 3 anodized for IR invisibility.

The massive body fits standard 30mm scope rings and features our patent pending lockout bezel assembly, which completely disables the light as needed. It will operate at full power from -10° to +130° Fahrenheit. With 6 Viton® high-temp double O-rings at the connection surfaces, it is waterproof. The High-temp, high transmissibility borosilicate glass won't deform like plastic lenses and is recessed to avoid powder spray from the muzzle blast. It is field replaceable with the integrated tool in the tail cap of the body. The replaceable steel belt clip is big enough to work with military web belts, and prevents the light from rolling.
Unlike complicated multifunction lights with electronics that can fail and functions that can be catastrophically mixed up under the pressure of live fire engagements, HellFire lights are designed to exactly what a tactical light should - provide powerful illumination on targets that need it! Its twin DL123 Series 3volt lithium batteries (included, and available wherever standard camera batteries are sold) drive the Xenon Halogen bulb to an astonishing 150 peak lumens! The reflector is milled from solid aluminum and mirror chromed with a stippling that diffuses the off-axis light into a flawless, dazzling beam absent the dark rings of lesser lights. Each bulb is factory focused for life! The 3-volt lithium batteries have a ten-year shelf life and perform even in frigid underwater temperatures! Stainless Steel high conductive transmission springs reduce resistance for even greater light output!
The momentary/lock-on switch allows for intermittent tactical use as well as single thumb lock-on activation. The patent pending recessed tail switch allows the HellFire X-11 to stand vertically, and prevents inadvertent activation in combat environments. The milled lanyard holes will take standard military paracord. Detailed instructions and parts lists are included within.
Specifications:

Length: 6-11/16" with breaker points and 6-7/16" without.
Weight: 11 oz.
Operation Temperatures: -10° F. to +130° F.
Water resistance: (6) Viton O-rings at all joining surfaces makes the X-11 a completely waterproof unit.
Batteries: (2) 123 series 3-volt Lithium or (1) 6-volt Lithium battery stick.
150 Peak Lumens

I have found these for $100.00. 150 Lumens is semi-bright!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, the more i think about your post... the more i wanna break it down individually....

Quoted:
but I hate the fact that the batteries are so hard / expensive to come buy.  You basically have to order them on line.

Yes, they are expensive in the store, (usually 12 bucks for 2).  BUT... this is EASY to fix.  I am a member of CPF, candle power forums, & we can buy 123A batteries at www.batterystation.com for a buck each.  That's a really good deal for what you get.

Then i store my batteries in a Pelican 1020, i talked about it here... Best 123a Battery Case ever

Quoted:
I'm also leaning towards a LED light, because I like the whiteness of the beam and the fact that the bulb will never wear out.  Perhaps something like a Pelican M6,

I am not fond of using LED lights outside... they just do NOT have the color rendering and throw i need.  (this is why i have the Thor and the surefire M6)  Incans are excellent for outside use.

I am VERY fond of using LED lights INSIDE.  My EDC is a Surefire L4 & my dedicated "house light" is an elektrolumens tri star phazer (three 3 watt leds, fed by four C batteries, 200+ lumens... runs forever)

Think about WHAT you want to use the light for... then make a decision & purchase.  This is just like buying a firearm... you have to determine its use... THEN buy the best solution.

I feel that BOTH the Thor and the Surefire L4 are AWESOME lights.... at what they were DESIGNED to do.  The thor is NOT an every day carry kinda thing, & the L4 wont light up a whole field for hundreds of yards.... so you have to pick whats best for the situation.

Quoted:

What do you guys like?  What are your favorite lights?

Here is what i have owned:

Thor 10X, Surefire M6, Surefire 9p, Surefire 6p, Surefire L4, Elektrolumens Tri Star Phazer, Brinkman Maxfire, Nite Eyes conversion for 2aa Maglite, 6D Maglite, 3D Maglite, 2D Maglite,  Inova X5 red LEDs, 2C Maglite modded to take three 123a batteries.

all of them have strengths & weaknesses.

It is like asking... "what's the best rifle?"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thor 10X
Surefire M6
Surefire L4
Inova X5 red LEDs

And people think BRD is bad.

Quoted:

Here is what i have owned:

Thor 10X, Surefire M6, Surefire 9p, Surefire 6p, Surefire L4, Elektrolumens Tri Star Phazer, Brinkman Maxfire, Nite Eyes conversion for 2aa Maglite, 6D Maglite, 3D Maglite, 2D Maglite,  Inova X5 red LEDs, 2C Maglite modded to take three 123a batteries.

PWN3D
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmm... taking battery cost out of the equation, I thought I liked the L2 lumamax.  But then I looked at the reuntime plot here:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l2.htm

So much for 100 lumens on high.  It lasts for about 3 mnutes.

Anybody know of a light with a good 2 stage clickie with at least 1 hour runtime on high at 65+ lumens and a long (12 hr+) runtime on low at 15+ lumens?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Headlights are good

there is a guy at candlepowerforums.com that fit an automobile HID headlight into a 3-C maglight!  runs off of CR123's.

doesn't surpise me.  I'm waiting for the post: "Harnessed the engery of the sun into my surefire!"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Nuwai Quantum-III:
• Regulated, 65+ lumen light output
• Almost indestructable Luxeon 3 watt LED
• Runs 45+ minutes on one $6 rechargeable RCR-123 Li-Ion cell (also accepts conventional CR-123 cells)
• "Orange Peel" reflector produces a nice balance of flood and throw light
• Very compact - about the size of a 12-gauge shotgun shell
• Under $35
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been carrying a Surefire 8X on my duty belt for over 10 years.  Best damn flashlight I have ever owned.  I keep a G2 in my truck and a 6Z beside my bed.  Wal Mart has the 123 batteries.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
all of them have strengths & weaknesses.

It is like asking... "what's the best rifle?"

+1

I dont have a lot of flashlights but I really like the ones I have.  I carry my Fenix L1P every day. It's bright, small, durable, and runs off 1 AA. I think it was about $40.

I like my G2 but I find myself using the Brinkman Maxfire from wally world more often.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#31]
double tap.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hmm... taking battery cost out of the equation, I thought I liked the L2 lumamax.  But then I looked at the reuntime plot here:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l2.htm

So much for 100 lumens on high.  It lasts for about 3 mnutes.

Anybody know of a light with a good 2 stage clickie with at least 1 hour runtime on high at 65+ lumens and a long (12 hr+) runtime on low at 15+ lumens?

Nuwai Tm-301-x3

It is what I carry.  It is a good light, and most non-enlightened folks are impressed by it.

The A2(?) from Surefire and the TwinTask series from Streamlight may also fit the bill.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#33]
+1 on the Fenix L1p.......thats what I have on me the most right now......
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I just had a bit of a flashlight epiphany not long ago.  

I have always been a maglight man, 3D, and minimag, the flashlight equivalents of a .22 and a .38.

Then I bought a Streamlight Scorpion.  Bright as hell, every bit as durable as my maglights, and rubber coated, which answeres the one complaint I ever had about maglights [all but one of my maglights wears a section of bicycle innertube as a cover].  Did I mention Bright as Hell?

So I bought another for my car.  

Then, while browsing the local battery place, I found an Ultra Stinger, and bought it.  Super bright, about the same size as my trusty 3D and RECHARGEABLE.   Did I mention Bright as Hell?

Then, last Sunday, we had a couple of Tornados come through town, and I put my lights to work.  Inspecting damage, checking on Neighbors, throughout the power outage that lasted all night, the Ultra Stinger never waivered.  I actually had a scorpion in my pocket, thinking that I would eventually run out of battery on the Ultra, but I never did.  I know for a fact that it lasted longer than my old rechargeable maglight would have under the same conditions.  It lasted way longer than the advertised hour.   I am sold, a new, lifelong customer.

Streamlight has been making lights for a long time, and they are good at it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Surefire L4.  I use Pila rechargebles in it.

This question is like asking what is your favorite gun though.

Favorite light for what purpose?
EDC?
LE work?
Weaponlight?

The E2e, E2L, E2D, L4 sized lights are about perfect for EDC lights.  For LE work you'll probably want a rechargeble light a Streamlight Stinger or Magcharger.

For military use you want something durable with long run time like a Surefire L1.

For backpacking lightweight becomes the goal and you can get by with an Infinity ultra or LED headlamp.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Surefire C3.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#37]
The Nuwaii Q-III is a great value.  I'm running the rechargebles in mine too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Walmart led lights are good enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#39]
my AR-15 with the flash hider removed
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been having good luck with my Inova T3.  It's an LED light that uses a 3-watt luxeon LED and two CR123s.  Inova claims 85 lumens and 2 hours of runtime.  Rather than a normal reflector it uses an internal refraction system where the light is surrounded by a lens.  If you use it indoors there are a few visible rings, but you don't notice them outside.  The throw is good, you can light up things over 100 feet away no problem.

Here's my attempt at a beamshot.  It was taken at about 10 feet away by shining it on the ceiling from the floor.  I modified it in photoshop a little to bring out the rings.  The hotspot is about 2 feet across and the spillbeam is pretty useable.

A little bug hunt in my friend's house...

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Surefire U2 Digital Ultra
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Surefire E1
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
large - Maglight 4 cell
small - Surefire, E2D to be specific.

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Surefire E2E Executive.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a little 2-AA cell light I got at Costco with the Lumiled 1 Watt Luxeon emitter.  It is far better beam and power than my 6 cell Maglight at much less weight and size.  Its all aluminum, silver finish with good sealing.  It does get warm with extended use, these high power LEDs need good heat sinks, this one uses the mass of the light to keep the emitter cool.

There is no reflector, rather it is a solid acrylic "lens".  Color rendition is great, even compared to my Maglights.

It was $20 for a pair.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Walmart led lights are good enough for me.

The $12-$19 Brinkman, Dorcy and Garrity LED flashlights that Wal-Mart sells are decent products for the money...

...but the River Rock LED flashlights that Target sells (for roughly the same price) blow them away!

• Machined aluminum enclosures, versus plastic enclosures
• 0.5 or 1.5 watt Nichia "Jupiter" LEDs, versus 0.1 watt generic LEDs
• Several selectable brightness levels, versus an on/off switch
• Regulated (constant brightness) output, versus unregulated (gradually dimming) output
• Duracells included, versus "Batteries Not Included"

Target currently has several of these lights on sale, for roughly half the regular price. You simply can not buy a better LED flashlight for the money – I guarantee it!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#47]
tag

O need a good light
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I really am liking my Pentagon X3.....also like to carry my Streamlight NF2
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#49]
surefire E2L is my daily carry, LOVE IT.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top