Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 1:47:27 PM EDT
So my dad and I went to the pharmacy at Jewel to purchase Dayquil for my mom.  Per the new Illinois(and apparently this also happens in other states, I read a thread about it in the Indiana HTF but I digress)law, Dayquil, and other medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, are to be kept behind the counter and when you purchase them you:
1)Show your DL/ID
2)Pay for the meds at the pharmacy
3)Your DL is taken and your name is added to a logbook
4)Your meds are placed in a pharmacy bag and your receipt is stapled.

I know why this happens, because pseudoephedrine is a chemical that is an ingredient in methamphetamine production.  However, I don't agree with the law. Don't get me wrong, I respect the police and laws and all that but it's ridiculous that people that buy this stuff to medicate themselves or their family members should be treated as if they are common criminals just because people choose to make methamphetamine out of Dayquil.  The store shouldn't keep track of how much Dayquil someone buys.
Rant over.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It shows you what a problem meth has become.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Keeping a log book of purchases might be a good idea if you were buying 100 cases of Dayquil, but not one bottle.

That's ridiculous.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Meth is big-time problem.  I'm glad that the retailers are making them a lot toughter to get.  The LE people have busted up a few meth labs in my city.  Most of the labs are in less populated desert area of S. Calif in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, & Riverside counties.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought some Claritin D while in NO. Had to have my info put in the log book, show ID etc just like you described.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a cop.  I have horrible allergic rhinitis.  The ONE thing that works best for me is 12 hour pseudoephedrine.  I take one tablet when I wake up about three months of the year.  I now have to go through this stupid procedure and guess what?  There's still meth all over.  It's like gun control; the only ones who pay attention to the law are the law-abiding criminals.  This is feel-good BS.  Let's just summarily execute cranksters.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't agree with your analysis that you were treated like common criminals.  Criminals are usually arrested, thrown in jail, etc...  Presenting an ID and being added to a logbook are generally not things which are imposed on criminals.

Meth is a huge problem and I beleive society needs to do all it can to combat the illicit manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't agree with your analysis that you were treated like common criminals.  Criminals are usually arrested, thrown in jail, etc...  Presenting an ID and being added to a logbook are generally not things which are imposed on criminals.

Meth is a huge problem and I beleive society needs to do all it can to combat the illicit manufacturers.

Well I admit there I was overreacting, but I think it's a little invasion-of-privacy-ish.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Like the old ammo logs they use to have
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
What a coincidence....

I just posted 5 Pre-Ban Pseudafed tabs on the EE.

$950 each.   Would consider trade for nice full auto UZI.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top