Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So let me get this straight. Out of all the dog breeds, pit bulls are the spawn of Satan himself. Everyone of them born is hell fury unchecked.  Every other dog breed is fine, save this one.

Can you people not see how idiotic this is? If the press was to demonize poodles tomorrow and print 2 articles a day how poodles attacked someone, would you call for their termination as well?

How many people have been mauled and killed by poodles?

At least 87
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
What's funny is the title of this thread says Pits are not bred to fight. Then the post goes on to say how they were bred to take down horses carrying knights. Anyone else see the irony?

They weren't bred to fight; they were just bred for war!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

in a completely unrelated matter...

ban children... for my sanity

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So let me get this straight. Out of all the dog breeds, pit bulls are the spawn of Satan himself. Everyone of them born is hell fury unchecked.  Every other dog breed is fine, save this one.

Can you people not see how idiotic this is? If the press was to demonize poodles tomorrow and print 2 articles a day how poodles attacked someone, would you call for their termination as well?

I'm trying to make a point. Ok, let's say dobermans. Let's say the press demonizes them. Are you for extermination of the doberman species then?

My original point is still the same. Pits are the same as other dogs. Laugh and think stupid unoriginal thoughts put in your head by the same press that gives you gun control articles.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What's funny is the title of this thread says Pits are not bred to fight. Then the post goes on to say how they were bred to take down horses carrying knights. Anyone else see the irony?

It's what makes it fun. The irony.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's what makes it fun. The irony.

Well we all know war is more gentle than pitt fighting dogs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Apples and Oranges?

Pit bull bannings and gun bannings have absolutely nothing in common except for the bannings, right? Oh, and the pussified gay baits that call for the bannings.

Well i think gun bannings are caused because there are people who want to blame the gun instead of the person who used it to break the law.  Kind of like banning the dog instead of punishing irresponsible owners or breeders.  IMO, they are very much related, people being irresponsible or breaking the law, so blame them.  Kind of like, since people are killed in car accidents, we should ban cars.  Yes that makes a lot of sense, or does it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm trying to make a point. Ok, let's say dobermans. Let's say the press demonizes them. Are you for extermination of the doberman species then?

My original point is still the same. Pits are the same as other dogs. Laugh and think stupid unoriginal thoughts put in your head by the same press that gives you gun control articles.

You guys crack me up. Pits are the same as other breeds.

Dobermans while they can be mean are not bred as killer dogs. Pits are bred to be killer dogs. Pretty simple.

And I don't want a ban. Just shoot them all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dobermans while they can be mean are not bred as killer dogs. Pits are bred to be killer dogs. Pretty simple.

Start with yourself and do the dogs a favor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Bama, quit while you're WAY behind there sport.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apples and Oranges?

Pit bull bannings and gun bannings have absolutely nothing in common except for the bannings, right? Oh, and the pussified gay baits that call for the bannings.

Well i think gun bannings are caused because there are people who want to blame the gun instead of the person who used it to break the law.  Kind of like banning the dog instead of punishing irresponsible owners or breeders.  IMO, they are very much related, people being irresponsible or breaking the law, so blame them.  Kind of like, since people are killed in car accidents, we should ban cars.  Yes that makes a lot of sense, or does it?

Seriously lets ban 18 wheelers....they're obviously bigger and can do more dammage.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  

Ok, which one of you is this.  I just got this via AOL instant messenger -

13:01] Sellafal: hey azztroll, I see by the K9 in your name that you're a dog lover, let me guess, had a bad experience trying to assfuck a pit bull? he must have bit your nut sack off and made you shoot blanks huh sailor? you like those submissive breeds like husky's and min pins for your oral bestiality sessions.

I say ban the pit bull loving idiots, for the children Arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#13]

A very telling article:    History of the American PitBull

"Once in Rome, the British dogs were crossbred with their Roman counterparts. From the years 50 AD to 410 AD, the breed was widely disseminated throughout the Roman Empire for use as fighting dogs. Along the way they mixed with other indigenous breeds throughout Europe, creating a genetic melting pot for the bulldogs that are thought to have been the immediate antecedents of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Sadly, the Romans would not be the last to use pit bulls in cruel and grisly blood sports. When the Normans invaded England in 1066, they introduced a new sport called baiting. Interestingly enough, baiting originated with butchers who kept dogs (called Bullenbeissers) to handle unruly bulls as they were herded to the market for slaughter. When a bull stepped out of line or exhibited uncontrollable behavior, the dogs would clamp down on its nose and simply hang on until the handler could regain control of the wayward animal.

Like most dog owners, the butchers were proud of their canine companions and their stubborn tenacity in dealing with the much larger, and potentially dangerous bulls. Consequently, pubic displays were arranged to showcase the dogs' abilities and, quite frankly, to appease the multitudes that attended baiting events for their entertainment value.

By the 16th century, nearly every town in England had its own baiting ring. The popularity of baiting events was unparalleled at the time, as was their ability to draw spectators from every level of society. Their popularity was further enhanced by the misguided perception that prolonged torture ensured the tenderness of the meat.

In baiting events, no more than one or two dogs were unleashed on the bull. They were trained to unrelentingly harass the bulls until they collapsed from fatigue, their injuries, or both. These episodes lasted for prolonged periods, sometimes as long as three or four hours. Eventually, the public's grew bored with bulls and introduced a creative flair to the sport, baiting dogs with bears, boars, horses, and even monkeys!

In 1406, Edmond de Langley - the Duke of York - produced a short treatise for Henry IV entitled, "The Master of the Game and of Hawks." In it, he described a descendent of the ancient Mastiffs that he called the "Alaunt", the most commonly used baiting dog of the era. A 1585 painting of the Alaunts hunting wild boar portrayed lean, muscular animals with profound similarities to the dogs we know as pit bulls."

This is also very interesting:

"As you can imagine, dog fighting was an extremely cruel and sadistic pursuit. The canine combatants were put through a rigorous training process depriving them of normal contact with humans and instilling in them an intense desire to spill the blood of their opponents. It was not unusual for these dogs to be fed a diet of blood and raw meat, and to be kept in complete darkness apart from the few hours a day they spent training with their handlers. To further enhance the dogs' eagerness for the kill, handlers forced them to run on a stationary treadmill with a weaker animal in front of them, but just out of reach. At the end of the exercise, the dogs were allowed to kill the animal as their reward.

During the course of a dog fight, the dogs were expected to fearlessly hurl themselves at their opponents without flinching or hesitation. If a dog turned away, it was viewed as a weakness and could be grounds for forfeit. Even if the hesitant animal was lucky enough to survive the encounter, he was still not out of the woods. Many handlers killed their own dogs because they believed a dog that hesitated even once could no longer be relied on to fight with the verve and tenacity the sport required. "

Yea,that's a breed I want around me and my family
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Come on. Think harder. You can do better.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apples and Oranges?

Your point only goes so far.  Guns cannot act alone.  Dogs have a brain.

We've got a pit & lab mix that kindof adopted our family...but we do not trust her at all.  A great dog but we have no idea of her history...and from her manerisms I'd expect she was a beaten dog at one time.  We will never know with her as everloving sweet as she is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Let's see.  Dog attacks resulting in a fatality that I have worked as a cop.   Five.  Want to guess the breeds? (Hint:  They weren't French)

Serious injury attacks resulting in hospital visits and disfiguring/disabling injuries to the victims that I have also worked. Too many to get an accurate number.  Want to guess the breeds there too?

I Live in the country.  Thanks to the large trailer park down the road we have a loose dog problem of major proportions.  I keep a loaded .357 rifle in the garage when I'm working outside.  It's not for Cocker Spaniels.

Save your "cute and fuzzy" depictions for someone who is gullible enough to believe them.  Bobcats are cute and fuzzy too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bama, you've said that like 12 times....Maybee you should take some of your own advice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmmmm...

Pit bulls were long considered, by some, to be an ideal family pet and are recommended to this day by the American Kennel Club as an especially good dog for children. But, since the early 1990s, a series of well-publicized attacks on humans by aggressive members of the breed occurred, making the ownership of pit bulls controversial.

The American Temperament Test Society, Inc. (ATTS) breed statistics as of December 2004 show an 83.4% passing rate for the American Pit Bull Terrier and a 93.2% passing rate for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as compared to an 81% average pass rate for all dog breeds.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bama, you've said that like 12 times....Maybee you should take some of your own advice.

I'm just trying to help you guys in your lame attempts at putting together a decent discussion.

So far. If you don't own a pit then you are ignorant. If you don't like pits you must want a ban on them. Bans guns vs pit argument is apples vs oranges. That's all you guys have.

Come on you must have better viewpoint.

Try harder.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hmmmmm...

Pit bulls were long considered, by some, to be an ideal family pet and are recommended to this day by the American Kennel Club as an especially good dog for children. But, since the early 1990s, a series of well-publicized attacks on humans by aggressive members of the breed occurred, making the ownership of pit bulls controversial.

The American Temperament Test Society, Inc. (ATTS) breed statistics as of December 2004 show an 83.4% passing rate for the American Pit Bull Terrier and a 93.2% passing rate for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as compared to an 81% average pass rate for all dog breeds.

Ahh... but why didn't you post the numbers on Pit related deaths from the same article? Where pits are responsible for the greatest percentage of deaths as all other breeds put together.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just trying to help you guys in your lame attempts at putting together a decent discussion.

So far. If you don't own a pit then you are ignorant. If you don't like pits you must want a ban on them. Bans guns vs pit argument is apples vs oranges. That's all you guys have.

Try harder.

Lame? That's funny, take a look at your responses.

Oh, almost forgot...

Hmmmmm...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try harder.

Lame? That's funny, take a look at your responses.

Oh, almost forgot...

Hmmmmm...

Why don't you post the number of deaths attributed to pits from the same article?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Bull breeds were originally bred to take down horses and bulls -  more specific knights on horses. 1000 years later they were bred to fight other DOGS, NOT HUMAN beings.

This nullifies the subject line of your thread.

Of course, being able to take down horses won't translate to an ability to take down adult size humans.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmmmm...

Ahh... but why didn't you post the numbers on Pit related deaths from the same article? Where pits are responsible for the greatest percentage of deaths as all other breeds put together.

Sure, why not...

Of the 199 dog-attack fatalities in the USA between 1979 and 1996, dogs identified as pit bulls were responsible for 60 attacks—just under a third. The next most-dangerous group was Rottweilers, responsible for 29 attacks (statistics from the CDC). These statistics may be tainted by the fact that the breed recorded as responsible is taken from the reports of witnesses and is rarely confirmed by dog experts or registration papers.

Because pit bull is an all-encompassing term used to describe several breeds of dogs, determining whether a dog is a pit bull is often particularly difficult. A study [3] for the United States Department of Health and Human Services discusses some reasons why fatalities might be overstated for pit bulls, in large part because most people (including experienced dog owners) often can't distinguish a pit bull from any other stocky, broad-faced, or muscular dog.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

13:01] Sellafal: hey azztroll, I see by the K9 in your name that you're a dog lover, let me guess, had a bad experience trying to assfuck a pit bull? he must have bit your nut sack off and made you shoot blanks huh sailor? you like those submissive breeds like husky's and min pins for your oral bestiality sessions.

Did you explain to him that 666k9 might have a reference to Teufel Hunden?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Because pit bull is an all-encompassing term used to describe several breeds of dogs, determining whether a dog is a pit bull is often particularly difficult. A study [3] for the United States Department of Health and Human Services discusses some reasons why fatalities might be overstated for pit bulls, in large part because most people (including experienced dog owners) often can't distinguish a pit bull from any other stocky, broad-faced, or muscular dog.

Yup, Just like most people here
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you explain to him that 666k9 might have a reference to Teufel Hunden?

No, I couldnt wait to make his message public here, just to piss him off.  I just blocked the account when I saw the message.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
who cares how they got to become ticking time bombs of rage?  fact is, a pit bull is more likely to "go bad" than almost all other breeds. PERIOD.

The German Shepard and Belgian Malonaois are responsible for the most bites resulting in serious injuries. This is due to their common use as police K9's.

Toy breeds like Cockers Spanials bite the most children.

The American Pit Bull Terrior, Staffordshire terrier and Bull terrior were not bred to be human aggressive.

"Pit Bull" is a slang term like Saturday Night Special.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Ignoring the facts, I see.

Of the 199 dog-attack fatalities in the USA between 1979 and 1996, dogs identified as pit bulls were responsible for 60 attacks—just under a third. The next most-dangerous group was Rottweilers, responsible for 29 attacks (statistics from the CDC). These statistics may be tainted by the fact that the breed recorded as responsible is taken from the reports of witnesses and is rarely confirmed by dog experts or registration papers.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

the doberman is its own species?   wow, news to me
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
they are big, strong, and bad-ass. and they know it!!!  if you piss it off, it will hurt you!!!

Actually the American Pit Bull Terrior's high pain tolerance makes it less likely to lash out at its handler when injured than lessor breeds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I own 2 Pits, but I use them as catch dogs for hog hunting. Good dogs, but I don't let my kids around them, because you never know.  After seeing what they can do to a 300 lb wild hog, they will definatly fuck you up  if they get the mind to.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow 100+ posts. Welcome to ARFCOM.

I have never seen a pit bull used as a seeing eye dog, a hunting dog, a dope/bomb sniffer, only as a guard dog.

The only thing they are good for is to bite.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The only thing they are good for is to bite.  

They make for some pretty good Mosin Nagant targets as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have never seen a pit bull used as a seeing eye dog, a hunting dog, a dope/bomb sniffer, only as a guard dog.

You aren't lookin' hard enough there sport.

P.S.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have never seen a pit bull used as a seeing eye dog, a hunting dog...

They are common in Feral Hog hunting and also weight pulling competition.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never seen a pit bull used as a seeing eye dog, a hunting dog...

They are common in Feral Hog hunting and also weight pulling competition.

Don't see either of those here.  We DO see them used a lot in dogfighting/gambling.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing more than work dogs with high prey, hunt and pack drives. The market is saturated with them, resulting in the notoriety. Each dog is an individual and can potentially be made a family pet, depending on the drive level and training.

And I have seen them used in police work.

ETA: From Dogs with jobs..... Popsicle: Drug-Bust Dog (Roma, Texas) This Pitbull named Popsicle once belonged to a drug dealer who tried to kill him. Rescued by the police in a drug raid, Popsicle now works for the Law.

There are more.

More dogs with jobs,,,, for the ignorant masses.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#41]
what a shame a trusted Friend,someone who did'nt give you Sh*t after a bad day,wake up in the morning in bed and look ya' straight in the eye,,,waggg his tail(like a whip),,,maybe fart it was all good,,,Bash all ya' want,,,My Hobo was a Dam Good Dog,,,and I still miss him
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You aren't lookin' hard enough there sport.

P.S.

I grew up with a kid who's dad raised pits for fighting. I was around these dogs alot and they never seemed mean. One day 2 of them tore their family doberman to pieces my freind and his brother were heart broken. These dogs lived togther for years and one day they snapped.

If you want to own them  and keep them in your yard that is your business, if they are out running the streets that is my business.

I have 2 dogs, a GSD and a Black lab, I friggen love animals, but I would shoot a pit on sight with no remorse.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
A friend of mine went hog hunting in central California.  He was very impressed by the hunting dogs. one female APBT got gored by the 400# hog.  It literally tossed the dog into the air opening a 8" gash on the dogs shoulder.  the dog jumped up and went right back after the hog. Later the guide stitched the dog up without even giving it anything for the pain. He said the dog just laid there like nothing was wrong while it got sewed up.

A lot of breeds would try to bite you following that type of injury.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I know that they were breed to kill other dogs....any one who owns one obviously doesnt respect or care about dogs in general.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I still say F___ em and their owners.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I grew up with a kid who's dad raised pits for fighting. I was around these dogs alot and they never seemed mean. One day 2 of them tore their family doberman to pieces...

No surprise that dog admittedly bred and raised for dogfighting attacked another dog. thats not the same thing as human agression though. In fact in the heyday of dog fighting any dog that turned on a handler, even lasjhing out when injured, was immediately culled.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#47]

I friggen love animals, but I would shoot a pit on sight with no remorse.

This is exactly how I feel, they are a discrase to dog owners and dogs in general.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Nothing more than work dogs with high prey, hunt and pack drives. The market is saturated with them, resulting in the notoriety. Each dog is an individual and can potentially be made a family pet, depending on the drive level and training.

ETA: From Dogs with jobs..... Popsicle: Drug-Bust Dog (Roma, Texas) This Pitbull named Popsicle once belonged to a drug dealer who tried to kill him. Rescued by the police in a drug raid, Popsicle now works for the Law.

There are more.

www.workingpitbull.com/images/xsite.jpg

Great post!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are more.

www.workingpitbull.com/images/xsite.jpg

Great post!

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top