Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 5:50:38 AM EDT
Friend and I [yeah I have a few surprisingly] were talking yesterday and he asked me if the SHTF, [natural disaster, Zombies what have you] would I sell him some ammo. This is a guy that is reasonably prepared EXCEPT he has about 100 rounds of 9mm ammo and one brick of .22. Thats it. I've tried to tell him he should just pony up and buy a few K of .22, and a K of 9mm, along with 4-8 boxes of shottie ammo.

I said sure, but it'll cost you $5 to $10 bucks a round if TSHTF and .22 will cost you $1 a round. He got a little pissed at the price but in the end he did admit he probably would pay it if he had a gun and little or no ammo. When I asked him what he would sell a can of food for if TSHTF he laughed and said probably $20 bucks.  

I forgive him a bit because he was recently converted from a non gun owning lib to at least a less lib, lib that now owns 3 guns and is thinking of getting his CCW along with his used to hate guns GF.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't sell or give away anything that could possibly used against me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
"each round is a national asset"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Id trade some for gold or fuel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
you cant really put a dollar value on it because in the worst SHTF scenarios, dollars will be worthless.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
hmm well i would most likely trade it if their female accomplice were to make an "offer"

but it still wouldn't be cheap
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Ammo will be currency.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ammo will be currency.

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ammo will be currency.

Make that ammo, gasoline and drugs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I think that's the main reason I have so much.  Of course part of it is just because I know prices are going up, so I get it while I can.  But seriously, if I have 4000rds of .308, I think it's pretty safe to assume I will never need that much.  If I actually get into a situation where I have to use anywhere near that much, I'm just delaying the inevtiable.  Barter a couple hundred rounds here and there.  I don't know what the value would be though.  Guess it depends what else is available, and how badly I need it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think that's the main reason I have so much.  Of course part of it is just because I know prices are going up, so I get it while I can.  But seriously, if I have 4000rds of .308, I think it's pretty safe to assume I will never need that much.  If I actually get into a situation where I have to use anywhere near that much, I'm just delaying the inevtiable.  Barter a couple hundred rounds here and there.  I don't know what the value would be though.  Guess it depends what else is available, and how badly I need it.

Some people here will go through that in a long weekend.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd sell or trade some of it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#13]
He should get his own or find a dead guy he can take it from.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people here will go through that in a long weekend.

In a STHF situation?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got 2 cases of that green Remington 22LR, I would part with some of that in a SHtF-scenario, but the bigger stuff, it can be used against me, so in that vein, "no" for the bigger more powerful calibers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Probably not.  Instead of laughing at me buying it they should have been doing the same.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I dunno....

But I need to get with someone who lives fairly close to me and pick up about 1-2k of good quality M193 when I get back....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#18]
The main problem is that once you hand over the ammo. He will use it against you and get his money and the rest of your ammo back.

In a SHTF situation, no one is going to know what I have left and have hidden away.  Maybe my best buddy, but thats it.

In a SHTF scenario there may not be any money that is worth anything.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Hell no!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Don't ever forget this.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I have very mixed feelings on this.

While I have told people to start putting a little money towards extra food, guns and ammo;  none of them have done so for one excuse or another.

However;  If the flag went up and they found themselves at my door, as long as they had SOMETHING to offer the group I would  consider arming them.

Two words  come to mind.

Meat Shield.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Nope,no ammo and no handout guns except to the most trusted of family/friends.There are a few people in my neighborhood that I would consider arming if mobs of looters were bad enough.Strangers,hell no.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#23]
What you need is some crates of SKS rifles in cosmo and several cases of 7.62x39.  

I will give you one SKS and a case of ammo for your daughter with the big boobies.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I would give my family [IMMEDIATE] the means to protect them with. I can well spare a few weapons and some ammo for them without missing them in the least anyways. Relatives on the other hand...............I'd have to pass on helping them as most are decently well off and intellegent people who should be prepared if they are not ostriches.

As for neighbors, well I can't think of any that are NOT armed save one, and they are selling their house anyways.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What you need is some crates of SKS rifles in cosmo and several cases of 7.62x39.  

I will give you one SKS and a case of ammo for your daughter with the big boobies.

You haven't purchased any 7.62x39 ammo latley I take it
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Read "Patriots"  .......nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ammo will be currency.

Make that ammo, gasoline and drugs.

LOL

man you guys  kill me,,,

true shtf,,not this made up red dawn bullshit you all dream of.

water and food.
the rest is shit you can live----read that live   with out!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Look them squarely in the eye, tell them,

"You know someday you may need this stuff, or you wouldn't be asking if you could buy from me.  The time to arm yourself and stock ammo and other supplies is now while you can get it easily and cheaply.  When the day comes that you really, really need it you won't be able to buy it for any amount of money, and I'll tell you no.  I tell you this now as a friend.  You can choose to act on it, or not.  Should you decide to prepare now, I'll be glad to advise you on what firearms to buy, the magazines, spare parts, ammo, and other gear you should have.  I'll teach you to shoot and maintain your gear.  But I won't be your warehouse.  So, like life insurance, homeowner's insurance, car insurance, this is freedom insurance.  You must decide if you love your family enough to prepare for their safety."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I think it depends on the cause of the SHTF. If it looks to be a permanent thing, I'd only trade to get something peacefully that my family would need to survive.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You haven't purchased any 7.62x39 ammo latley I take it

I have.  Its getting outragous.  AIM still has some thats reasonable until you add in shipping.  Thank God. I stocked up while it was still cheap.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The main problem is that once you hand over the ammo. He will use it against you and get his money and the rest of your ammo back.

If you were talking to me, I was meaning just to get some good quality XM193 to use for everyday/in case SHTF incident.  Since you cant hardly find it anymore and some members here have like 15,000 rds of it stockpiled.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Ammo and food is the last currency of the living. It would be time to buy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I think the key is not to let others know you have "it".  Enemies will come get it if they know you have it! (Food, water, guns, drugs, women, cars, gas, shelter, gold, etc.)  keeping it secret is important.  Even family can give you away (loose lips and sinking ships).

Supplies for family and trusted friends in my squad.  No to anyone else.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I won't be selling shit.
What I am, and will be doing, is looking out for my own family. Screw everyone else. And yeah, I mean that.  I've watched for decades as the people in this country become fatter, lazier, dumber, and tax me up the ass for the privilege of putting up with them and their fucking bullshit. As such, I decided a while ago that the only thing I could do was look out for my own family. The rest are a write off and waiting until the SHTF to decide to pull your head out of your ass is just Darwin's way of straightening this planet out.

Fuck 'em. I'm the one with the guns.  

And the ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#36]
SHTF, I would probably give some ammo to a friend in need, NOT to a stranger.
TEOTWAWKI, you are on your own brother!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were talking to me, I was meaning just to get some good quality XM193 to use for everyday/in case SHTF incident.  Since you cant hardly find it anymore and some members here have like 15,000 rds of it stockpiled.

That's not nearly enuff, tripple that amount for a nice "rainy day" stash  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not nearly enuff, tripple that amount for a nice "rainy day" stash  

Yeah but a member or two here could spare 500-1000rds of good, quality XM193.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top