User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Cops broke the law and got a pass.

color me not suprised.

leona helmsly syndrome has permeated the police in this country.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The one thing that would have made this outcome acceptable would have been if there was a statement in there that said that WALMART management (whether from that particular store or higher up the corporate ladder) had granted NOPD permission to get needed items from their stores before the items were taken. It would have really been a simple thing for NOPD to obtain permission for that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As an LEO stuff like this makes my job harder I can understnad why there is so much hatred and mis-trust of the POPO...

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As an LEO stuff like this makes my job harder I can understnad why there is so much hatred and mis-trust of the POPO...

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF is with lumping all LEO into this. This was NOPD! NOPD is known for corruption. When I was their, the Louisanians were glad to see outside LE there because of the corruption with the locals. It amazed me at the level of distrust the citizens had for their own. But I garuntee not only would I not be wearing a badge but looking through bars if I was caught looting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The one thing that would have made this outcome acceptable would have been if there was a statement in there that said that WALMART management (whether from that particular store or higher up the corporate ladder) had granted NOPD permission to get needed items from their stores before the items were taken. It would have really been a simple thing for NOPD to obtain permission for that.

Even if they did get that permission they should still be fired and are a disgrace to LEOs.  

What exactly  would they need a shopping cart full of shoes, dvds, and such for?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even if they did get that permission they should still be fired and are a disgrace to LEOs.  

What exactly  would they need a shopping cart full of shoes, dvds, and such for?

But they need 12 pair, they lost their one pair in the flood.
something to watch  while they were fingering someones guns they stole and laughing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Does thier superior have permission from Walmart to send in officers to loot the store?

Was Walmart given vouchers and a list of items taken?

Could the NOPD have thought to put a set of dry clothers in a hefty bag before the Storm took 4 freakin' days to get there?

Was Nagan guilty of fear mongering when he stated that 10's of thousands were dead?

IF you answered:
No
No
No
Yes

You are obviously a racist lackey of da Bush admin.

Pete

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I figure a lot of this is under the Old Managment.

Hoping that as WORKING individuals come back to NO (the welfare population that suppored Nagan, et al dosen't look like it's coming back anytime soon), and a new, clean administration is voted in, things will change.

Gonna take a few years, but the crooked judges, LEOs, Politicians will be out of jobs.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
What can we expect from our country's own little Sodom?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't say I'm surprised by these findings. What's equally not surprising is the fact that the 'superiors' gave them permission.

I'm sure the conversation went something like this;

Officer: Captain, we spotted looters in the Wal-Mart store on Tchoupitoulas St, I'm going in with backup.

Captain: 10-4, give me a situation report when you get in position.

Officer: Captain, the place is being ramsacked, the shelves are being emptied as we speak...

Captain: Well then what are still talking for boy, git, and don't forget that there Plasma screen I've been eyeing...Oh, and give a holler to Lootie when you see him.

We need a Lootie icon
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would consider looting taking electronics, jewelery, Heinekien, etc etc.

Clothing for folks who were flooded is not looting in my book.

I agree with BAMA. What could 4 women do to stop everything going on in that store?

I don't for a single instant honestly believe they were getting clothes for people other than themselves.

And what could 4 women with GUNS AND BADGES DO? How about enforce the law? If they can't do it because there were only 4 of them they have the wrong job.

A SINGLE POLICE OFFICER could have cleared out the store.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As an LEO stuff like this makes my job harder I can understand why there is so much hatred and mis-trust of the POPO...

Hurts guys like you the most. And that is why it drives me fucking nuts.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with BAMA. What could 4 women do to stop everything going on in that store?

I don't for a single instant honestly believe they were getting clothes for people other than themselves.

And what could 4 women with GUNS AND BADGES DO? How about enforce the law? If they can't do it because there were only 4 of them they have the wrong job.

Drop a couple. The looters would fall right in and out the door.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm surprised that no one noticed the disconnect in the NOPD's rationale:  The officers were legally "looting" the store but neglected their duty by failing to stop others from engaging in the same behavior they were engaged in.   If what the other looters was doing was illegal, why is it legal when committed by someone in uniform?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't for one second think that this remotely reflects the behaviour of police in general.  N.O. has been hiring thugs for officers for quite some time and taking clothes of the rack at Walmart is childsplay compared to the serious criminal actions they have been caught engaged in.

I'd rate them only slightly higher than some African nations' police forces.

They certainly DO NOT reflect on you, though they absoulutely do wear away at the public's trust I guess.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drop a couple. The looters would fall right in and out the door.

If they are smart looters it wouldn't even be necessary to shoot one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The mere fact that you think like this means you are one of the good guys.

Looting-
Definition: To take as spoils or actually steal. A burglary committed within an affected area during an emergency, ie. earthquake, fire, flood, riot, or other disaster.

There is no exception made for food, cloths, or TV's.  Theft is theft. PERIOD.  I am sick of hearing all the excuses to steal.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#20]
"The four officers -- Olivia Fontenot, Vera Polite, Debra Prosper and Kenyatta Phillips -- were suspended for 10 days without pay for "neglect of duty" because "people can be observed illegally inside the store with property in their possession and you took no police action to prevent or stop the looting," according to their disciplinary letters. The officers are all seasoned veterans except for Phillips, a first-year rookie."

Now there is a hell of a filed training program.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Who wants to bet they had the goods on some of the higher ups?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top