Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 5:36:10 PM EDT
Thinking of utilizing my Microsoft Outlook and wonderd if anybody else used it or is it just a big wast of time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty much the standard.

I use Entourage (which is the Mac version of Outlook) at home.

At work, I'm forced to use Lotus Notes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
for newsgroups only, no email
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
All day, everyday. Office is half way decent.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used it and it works well. Just remember that you have a better chance of not getting a virus using a web based email that scans for viruses. Just about every virus/worm out there is counting on you running Outlook or Outlook Express for propogation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've used it and it works well. Just remember that you have a better chance of not getting a virus using a web based email that scans for viruses. Just about every virus/worm out there is counting on you running Outlook or Outlook Express for propogation.

My ISP scans for viruses when it goes through their server and cleans it out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why not?

well, for starters, in outlook 2000, if your e-mail folders go over the 2 gigabyte limit; without warning, they begin to become corrupted.

ask me how i know.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Office 2000 Small Business Edition user here.

(Waiting for release of 64-bit Office.)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Use it all the time - its what we use at work, and people use it for scheduling as well as email.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I do.  At work.  Because that's what they use and gave me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
At home I have migrated completely to OpenOffice. The mail client I have been using is Thunderbird. No more M$crosoft for me. The next step will be the OS.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Outlook for my work e-mail.  At home I just use g-mail.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not?

well, for starters, in outlook 2000, if your e-mail folders go over the 2 gigabyte limit; without warning, they begin to become corrupted.

ask me how i know.

i use outlook at work.  i have no issues with it.

why on earth do you need to keep all those emails???  thats the stupidest thing i have EVER heard of.

i have customers that insist on keeping emails from 4 years back...... i will never understand.  

edit.  

if you turn off the preview pane.  and don't open emails your not expecting you will be fine
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
why on earth do you need to keep all those emails???  thats the stupidest thing i have EVER heard of.

Actually, I had that exact thing happen.

In my case, no matter what emails I permanently deleted, the .PST file never shrank in size.  After it hit about 2.2Gb, Outlook would start very slowly, and then finally not at all.  I saved some important stuff and deleted OUTLOOK.PST.  Everything's been fine since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I use it because it syncs my Dell Axim PDA and my windows smartphone to my laptop.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not?

ask me how i know.

i have customers that insist on keeping emails from 4 years back...... i will never understand.  

edit.  

if you turn off the preview pane.  and don't open emails your not expecting you will be fine

me? I don't - I archive into separate .pst files.

however, I work in a corporate environment.  Trying to convince business managers that they don't need every e-mail for the last 5-6 years to be easily searchable is dang near impossible.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not?

ask me how i know.

edit.  

me? I don't - I archive into separate .pst files.

however, I work in a corporate environment.  Trying to convince business managers that they don't need every e-mail for the last 5-6 years to be easily searchable is dang near impossible.

Dude, I feel your pain.  I have (l)users at work who insist on keeping years of emails.  I have one particular user who has archived /psts going back to 1998.  They're mapped into his mail acocunt/profile  but stay on my server.  He never closes outlook and whenever I check my backup jobs, I always have an error saying his .psts are corrupt (can't be saved, because they're open).

Don't get me started about the guy that had entire C: drives (we found an win NT installation) copied to his new computer when we ask him to transfer files when we issue him a new laptop.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I use it at work. I don't at home. Mostly because I have encountered instances that my message ocassionally gets lost and does not reach the destination. Not a lot, but enough to make me pissed. I can't explain it and neither could the IT guys.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't use it anymore since I left the corporate world.   Was fine as long as you could fix the attachment blocking, but last I checked it only worked when talking to an exchange server.

As for keeping mail forever, I worked as a consultant for way to long to get caught without a good backup of all my work mail.  Call it paranoia or what ever you want but its cheap insurance to be able to pull out the 'you said...' when the target gets changed.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I use it and have kept my emails for the past two years..I didn't know it was a problem. What can I do if I want to keep them on a CD or something...is that possible?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My ISP scans for viruses when it goes through their server and cleans it out.

Norton AntiVirus 2006 scans all incoming and outgoing e-mail.  Virus definitions are automatically updated daily.  I imagine all of the most popular anti-virus programs have that e-mail scan and update feature too.

I've used Outlook, Outlook Express and many lessor known e-mail programs over the past 20 some years but for non-corporate, personal use, Outlook Express, version 6 does everything I need.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I use Outlook on my Windows computer, because it is with Office 2003, which I bought for school.

But I only use it with an IMAP server, so I don't have to worry about viruii, as my .Mac account takes care of all of that.

I use Mail for my Mac.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Just set up Outlook 2003, so far so good!!! Thanks for all the good advise
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Outlook works good for me
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Hold up...I cant import my address book....WTF, Getting this message
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#27]
PC load letter...what the fuck is that??
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hold up...I cant import my address book....WTF, Getting this message
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/nortonw/untitled.jpg

Do you have a registered copy of Office?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#29]
drop the cd in the cd-rom.

choose repair, install more crap, or whatever the option is to install all of outlook.  it appears you only installed parts of outlook.

edit: if you installed from a pirated .zip file, you may be out of luck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Switched from OE too outlook 2003 last year, havent looked back..
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It's pretty much the standard.

I use Entourage (which is the Mac version of Outlook) at home.

At work, I'm forced to use Lotus Notes.

I had all my bloated notes mail forwarded to my regular email address..  I only use it for timesheets now.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I use Microsoft Office Pro at work , on secure linked networks , and have it on my Home PC also.

Really no other options for me.
I have had no problems with Outlook.

Like ALL MS products  the learning curve is steep, but it is a World Standard.

At least you can customize it to be more user friendly.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I use it at work.  For home I use thunderbird, but I still need to use outlook to access my work email  from home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It flat out sucks.

+1.

Outlook don't use References: in the headers as described in rfc2822, and some ignorant dumbass decided that it was a good idea to replace Re: in subject headers with ie. Sv: in Norway and Aw: in Germany. Outlook pretty much fucks up any attempt to use email in a civilised manner, threading is fucked and the subject header becomes Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Topic. Not to mention that if you want to copy your mail from Outlook from one machine to another or from  backup it's a nightmare to copy the stuff over if you forgot to use the export function first. I would rather use avian carriers (as described in rfc1149 ) than Outlook for email.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I use Outlook in addition to Office 2003 professional edition. I have zero problems with it. ZERO.

Why do I use it? It works.

I have no trouble sending and recieving e-mail.

It has built in calandering functions that allow me to make appointments and schedule meeting while automatically checking other attendees schedules.

It interfaces with my accounting program which allows my scheduler info to be assimilated for hourly charges.

It allows me to index recieved item by catoagory and assign them to other people.

It interfaces with Microsofts Business Contact Manager that has so many functions it would take all day to deliniate them all.

It is built not to automaticly download any links, pictures, or other executable files and interfaces with most popular anti-virus software.

Oh...did I mention it works flawlessly?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my case, no matter what emails I permanently deleted, the .PST file never shrank in size.  After it hit about 2.2Gb, Outlook would start very slowly, and then finally not at all.  I saved some important stuff and deleted OUTLOOK.PST.  Everything's been fine since.

If you have Network storage - you ARCHIVE old mail there.
If not , save it ELSEWHERE on your Hard Drive or Burn a CD
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I use Evolution.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#38]
being the standard i use it and admin it at work.
PITA

i use TB at home, but then i dont need OL and all of its "features"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever compacted you .pst file??? IF you don't no matter HOW much you delete intermnally if really NEVER shrinks till you COMPACT.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been using Outlook at work since 1999 (Outlook 98, 2000, and now 2002).  I supported Outlook 97 and 98 end users for about a year and a half.  Outlook sucks sweaty donkey balls.  Big, bloated, slow, and insecure.  Unfortunately, I need an Exchange client because my employer is a Microsoft shop.  I could use Entourage on my iBook, but I decided I no longer want to use my personal laptop for work.

At home, I use Mozilla Thunderbird on XP and OS X.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#41]
For personal email I use hotmail. However, for work purposes Outlook (NOT outlook Express!) is extremely useful for keeping contacts, using the calender to set appointments and business meetings, and the Tasks option for assigning tasks to others or to yourself so you know what needs to get done. It has some very useful features beyond email but most people don't get into it that far.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I use Outlook 2003 extensively.  I use the journal feature all of the time.  When I have a conversation or phone call with somone in my contacts, I make a journal entry.  I can then look in the activities for that contact and see every email, phone call and conversation I have had with that person.  

When I schedule a task or appointment that involves another person I can easily send forward that task or appointment to the person as an email.  

Outlook is full featured, and I have tried Lotus Organizer, ACT!, PLan Plus for Windows, and other PIM software.  None of it does it as well and with much integration as Outlook.

To make it even better, I installed Franklin Covey PlanPlus for Outlook.  It consolidates the calendar, tasks and email views into one screen and adds a daily journal and power notes feature.  It also has on board all of FC's great planning and goal setting features.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I use Outlook 2003 extensively.  I use the journal feature all of the time.  When I have a conversation or phone call with somone in my contacts, I make a journal entry.  I can then look in the activities for that contact and see every email, phone call and conversation I have had with that person.  

When I schedule a task or appointment that involves another person I can easily send forward that task or appointment to the person as an email.  

Outlook is full featured, and I have tried Lotus Organizer, ACT!, PLan Plus for Windows, and other PIM software.  None of it does it as well and with much integration as Outlook.

To make it even better, I installed Franklin Covey PlanPlus for Outlook.  It consolidates the calendar, tasks and email views into one screen and adds a daily journal and power notes feature.  It also has on board all of FC's great planning and goal setting features.

Curious how large does your .PST usually run?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top