Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/15/2001 3:50:01 PM EDT
I recently purchased a assembly/disassembly manual for my AR-15 to know how to field strip and clean it. One page of the manual was devoted to the "critical alignment of suppressor". It stated that the "third slot" must be straight up and aligned with the barrel. Then it says that if it is not aligned that you can't tighten the suppressor in order to align it because this would warp the barrel. Looking at my gun, that I purchased from a large gun store 8-9 years ago in a nearby city, I observe that my suppressor's top slit hole is off 20-30 degrees to the right. Is this something that I need to fix, or is it nothing? If I do need to fix this, how do I go about doing it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:58:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:08:32 PM EDT
Do you need a peel washer, or can you go without? I have a krinkov suppressor\brake on my 7.62x39 AR and i did not use a peel washer i just put some locktite and tighten it by hand. The weapon functions and shoots fine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:13:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:55:22 PM EDT
If you don't have peel washer, you can use Loctite. The Army's AMU found out a while back that rifles with the torqued down flash suppressor were less accurate than ones that were hand tight. Supposedly it sueezes the end of the barrel. They glue their's on with Loctite. So do I, and so do a lot of Hi-Power Service Rifle competitors. Just let the Loctite set up before you go shooting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:57:45 PM EDT
When y'all talk about tightening the suppressor by hand, do you mean by hand or with some type of wrench? Will a crescent work? How critical is not having the suppressor lined up just right?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:22:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By musicman: When y'all talk about tightening the suppressor by hand, do you mean by hand or with some type of wrench? Will a crescent work? How critical is not having the suppressor lined up just right?
View Quote
I mean "by hand." Hand tight is right. It will probably not line up just right so back it off 'til the third port is vertical, then let the Loctite do it's thing. I am assuming the supressor is now off the gun. If not they can be a bitch to get off without damaging them. Use a padded crescent wrench or if you have access to the Armorers wrench us that. They are torqued on pretty tight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:42:28 PM EDT
No I don't have it off now. How can you tell which port is the third port? They all look the same to me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:47:21 PM EDT
I think your manual is for an A2 and you have an A1 FH.If it has slots all around the periphery it is A1,don't worry about it. cpermd
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:05:20 PM EDT
Top Top