Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 10:37:53 AM EDT
I'm sure you all got the message traffic about Sailors filing support rolls on the ground in Iraq and The Stan.  Well, I spoke with a couple E-8's that work down in D.C. this week.  Not sure how accurate it is but they said USN plans to occupy 35% of all ground forces in theater by end fiscal year 2007.  Right now the deal is that Adm. Cotton is volunteering 14,000 reservists for support rolls.  You go to the Army for 2 months before going to Iraq.

The thinking behind this is the army cannot meet recruiting and retention goals and USN with our trend in downsizing has a lot of spare bodies..

Anyone else hear this?  Some of the pilots were thinking that it will lead to USN actually sending people to army infantry to fill vacant combat billets.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The Navy's stated goal is to have 17,000 people supporting CENTCOM missions by the end of the fiscal year.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Our command is already pinging for volunteers..  I am torn between army WCO attemp and this if it is something other than a desk job..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
My command has been hit hard since October. It's not likely to stop anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, we have a bunch of "dead weight" so to speak.  Nobody picked yet but when we transitioned from VP to VR we were left with manning for 6 planes but we only have three.  Some transferred out and the command did what they could to fill billets for those who didnt want to relocate to a new reserve center to drill.  I see some of these weekenders that come in, muster and disappear for 2 days getting hit for this..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top