Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/18/2006 10:34:10 AM EDT
No, it wasn't any of the shootings that took place....

Two Sunday's ago, I took my girlfriend to Denny's for dinner, because she loves that Superbird turkey sandwich they have. Mmmmm. Anyway. The service was terrbile. My food was slow and cold and even after asking, the waitress never refilled my glass. It wasn't busy, so there was no excuse. When we got to the counter to pay, I stood there for about 5 mins. while two workers were talking about their weekend. Finally, I got to pay and leave.

I am never one to complain really, but I was bored and decided to e-mail Denny's customer service. I did this once with another restaurant and got some free gift certificates out of the deal, so I thought what the hell.

Yesterday I get a phone call from an unknown number. The woman on the phone said "I am Ms. Shanikwa Williams from Denny's..." I though, okay its customer service or the manager or something, sweet...

I was wrong. It was the waitress I had, not calling to apologize, but calling to cuss me out and telling me how if I have a problem blah blah. I was shocked. She had seen the complaint that her manager had recieved, looked at my receipt to check for her name, then called me to cuss me out at the number on the complaint.

I lost my temper and used a few choice words and basically said if you ever call my home or cell again, we are going to have some serious problems.

Anyway, I thought I would share and figure after that incident I will have them fired soon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that is way out of line.  Definitely let corporate know about that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Git-r-done
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
HAHAAHAHAA! The effing waitress called you out when you complained about her lack of service?!?!

She's so fired.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Her boy friend will come to your home and beat you up now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Call corporate IMMEDIATELY and get her fired.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Go back there and ask to see her face to face. She will probably make a huge scene and get herself fired.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
might want to follow that up with a call to your local police. If she has your phone number then her whacked-out boyfriend may want to try to get froggy with you.

Never take a threat of any kind lightly, and calling you at home would constitute a threat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

A bad waitress calling you at home?  That's one of the more bizarre things I've ever heard in my life.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Her bf can come on over in his Caprice with 20" 100 spokes and meet Mr. 00 Buck. I have no tolerance for that gangster bullshit.

I'm still pretty blown away by the whole deal. Like I said, there weren't 10 other people there and there were at least 3 other waitresses. When she came and threw the check on the table I said: "Ma'am, could I get another glass of tea?" She said: "Yeah, just a minute." Well, that turned in to about a 10 min wait to no avail, so we left and I went to the gas station next door and got my glass of tea.

ETA, she actually called my cell. I just looked at a print out of my complaint, and I had wisely removed my home number from there, so some dumbass can't do a reverse lookup. When I said to never call again, my first thought was "Oh, shit they have my home number now, great." But, luckily I had not given them that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
i thought "shanikwa" and her kind didn't do denny's unless it was to file a complaint to their local eeoc for some free air time and some reparations?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#12]
If nothing else. she was almost certainly comitting a fireable offense simply by getting your phone number off your credit card receipt.  Get her fired.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#13]
In CA someone just went in and shot a few people at Denny's.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
A bunch of years ago I worked for a construction company, and one day on a lunch break we all (about 10 of us) went to a Denny's to eat.  Since we were out of town lunch was paid for by the company, who provides the foreman with a credit card for meals, hotel rooms, etc, etc.  Company rules stated that we were to eat well and tip good, but not extravagantly.  The company wanted it's employees welcome in the local establishments.  This particular foreman had a personal rule of not tipping, his idea was that if you need more money than the restraunt paid then you should find a better job.  Anyway, the ten of us ate, he paid with the credit card and tipped the waitress a buck.  She followed us out of the restraunt, chased us down and gave him the buck back.  There were some choice words exchanged but for the most part we were all on her side, it was funnier than hell.  When it was over he looked like he'd been hit with a bus.  Somehow word got back to our managment and he got reamed and was told to start tipping properly.

I'll never forget that scrawny Mexican chick chasing this big dude down and reading him the riot act.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He just wanted his fucking iced tea refilled...  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#16]
What IS it with Denny's?

First the racial BS a few years back, which may have been one or two real incidents and then a lot of "piling on".

I have never had what I would call good service at one, and refuse to patronize them any longer.

How does one chain manage to hire so many small minded, stupid-stubborn people.  The staff gets its attitude direction from the restuarant managment.  If the guy running the franchise is upbeat and positive, then the staff will tend to be also, even though he has to hire from the same high-school kid and high school drop-out pool as everybody else.  Dennys must send thier franchise managers to "how to be a prick" classes.

I'm not kidding.  My oldest daughter (high school) works as a greeter at a well known sit down seafood franchise.  The management is always being pricks to the waitresses and kitched staff, little chickenshit things that save a nickle hear and there but piss off the workers.  Don't they realize that while the manager and assistant manager have made this thier career (putting that french literature degree to good use, I might add), the wait and cook staff do not see it that way.  Its just a job, they will probably waiting tables or cooking lobsters somewhere else in a year.  How can the management not see that making the job a miserable one for the low-paid folks is NOT going to enhance the management career in an industry where there is DIRECT contact with the customer.  

You can tell when a waitress is having a bad day.  It comes across in her tone and demeanor.  And it makes you not want to come back to the place to eat.  I am suprised Dennys is still in business.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2, then send another email.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A bunch of years ago I worked for a construction company, and one day on a lunch break we all (about 10 of us) went to a Denny's to eat.  Since we were out of town lunch was paid for by the company, who provides the foreman with a credit card for meals, hotel rooms, etc, etc.  Company rules stated that we were to eat well and tip good, but not extravagantly.  The company wanted it's employees welcome in the local establishments.  This particular foreman had a personal rule of not tipping, his idea was that if you need more money than the restraunt paid then you should find a better job.  Anyway, the ten of us ate, he paid with the credit card and tipped the waitress a buck.  She followed us out of the restraunt, chased us down and gave him the buck back.  There were some choice words exchanged but for the most part we were all on her side, it was funnier than hell.  When it was over he looked like he'd been hit with a bus.  Somehow word got back to our managment and he got reamed and was told to start tipping properly.

I'll never forget that scrawny Mexican chick chasing this big dude down and reading him the riot act.  

What some people don't understand is that servers get paid far under minimum wage usually.  Their tips ARE their wages.  Not giving them a tip is almost literally stealing from them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Sue Denny's
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

who cares if she gets fired?  if you handle this properly, you're looking at tons of free stuff.  when you do call corporate, act very civil and levelheaded, and they'll bend over backwards to accomodate you.  if you act irate, however, they'll write you off as "won't come back anyway, so why bother" material.

funny stuff, btw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the Denny's down the street from me there is a meeting of homos every friday. One time I went in there this is how I found out and this guy dressed as a girl comes over to my table and goes hey sexy and starts to try to touch me and I told him if he doesn't fuck off he is gonna find out what a CCW is.

I get the chills saying that. Some times I want to go up in my bell tower and do something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not giving them a tip is almost literally stealing from them.

not "almost".  it is literally "theft of services".  try picking up your car from the shop without paying for labor.  as with a mechanic, if the labor is incompetent, then the laborer doesn't get paid.

the funny part is that ms. williams was probably bitching to her friends about some "asshole" who "stiffed" her, without realizing that her own incompetence cost her that tip.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Shanikwa.................

-K
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not "almost".  it is literally "theft of services".  try picking up your car from the shop without paying for labor.  as with a mechanic, if the labor is incompetent, then the laborer doesn't get paid.

No, it is not "literally" theft; because the server never owned the money, and I am under no legal obligation to pay that money.  That is "literally" what constitutes theft.

That's what the words mean, dude.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I am Ms. Shanikwa Williams  nuff said
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I am so LOL!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is not "literally" theft; because the server never owned the money, and I am under no legal obligation to pay that money.  That is "literally" what constitutes theft.

Larry

your failure to comprehend is amusing, but not my problem.  now, let's take a look at the term "theft of services".  that little "of" in there means that the object of the "theft" is about to be explained, i.e., "services".  see, what is being stolen is time and effort.  literally.

learn your native language, dude.

once again, try to tell your mechanic that you will only pay for parts, not labor.  try to tell your IT guy that he never owned the money, and that you are under no legal obligation to pay him for his labor.  what you will be prosecuted for is "theft of services".  the only reason it isn't pursued more in the restaurant business is that the increments are smaller.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What some people don't understand is that servers get paid far under minimum wage usually.  Their tips ARE their wages.  Not giving them a tip is almost literally stealing from them.

I don't see it that way. I think that a good job deserves a good tip. Bringing the food with a bad attitude deserves nothing more than the appropriately small wage they make as a base. I see the arrangement as a way to actually pay what someone is worth. You deserve nothing. You EARN your money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

your failure to comprehend is amusing, but not my problem.  now, let's take a look at the term "theft of services".  that little "of" in there means that the object of the "theft" is about to be explained, i.e., "services".  see, what is being stolen is time and effort.  literally.

learn your native language, dude.

once again, try to tell your mechanic that you will only pay for parts, not labor.  try to tell your IT guy that he never owned the money, and that you are under no legal obligation to pay him for his labor.  what you will be prosecuted for is "theft of services".  the only reason it isn't pursued more in the restaurant business is that the increments are smaller.

I rarely say this, but you are an idiot.
The labor was part of the negotiated price, the tip was not.  Figure it out.

You can't steal from someone if it wasn't theirs.  The tip is not part of the price, labor on car repairs is.

Theft is a legal term.  Not tipping a waitress is not that thing.  Simple fact.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You deserve nothing. You EARN your money.

exactly.  bad service is no service.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I usually tip, but there is no obligation to do so.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the funny part is that ms. williams was probably bitching to her friends about some "asshole" who "stiffed" her, without realizing that her own incompetence cost her that tip.

Bullshit.

They provide a service that is paid for by their employer. Tipping is customary, and almost universally expected, but it is not required.

Here is the GA code for theft of services:

16-8-5.
A person commits the offense of theft of services when by deception and with the intent to avoid payment he knowingly obtains services, accommodations, entertainment, or the use of personal property which is available only for compensation.

www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-8-5

Waitresses are compensated by their employers. Additional compensation is always appreciated, but whether the service is good or bad, tipping is not required, and not tipping is nothing even close to theft.

There is certainly nobody forcing them to accept jobs that pay less than minimum wage.

ETA: On the rare trips that I take to resturant, I usually tip according to the amount of quality work done. If your on the ball, you get 25-50% depending on the cost of the meal. Just okay nets you about 10%. Mess up my order, bring it late, or leave me sitting there for 30 minutes waiting on my check and I'm not only leaving without tipping, I'm taking the silverware too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Her boy friend will come to your home and beat you up now get shot in the face.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look up the term gratuity.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#37]
You need to call corporate.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Fired from Denny's.

Her whole life will be ruined then.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He just wanted his fucking iced tea refilled...   hr

he
I get the chills saying that. Some times I want to go up in my bell tower and do something.

You are threatening to shoot someone over that?
What? you have no other skills besides reaching for a weapon?
Don't know about where you live, but you pull that iron on someone for that--and you'll be inside the local bed and breakfast looking out for a while.
He touches you, touch him back. Escalating to an armed conflict is way out of line and over the top.

pato
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
might want to follow that up with a call to your local police. If she has your phone number then her whacked-out boyfriend may want to try to get froggy with you.

Never take a threat of any kind lightly, and calling you at home would constitute a threat.

HUGE +1 on that!!!

WTF was that employee thinking... That was WAY  out of line to call you. It was between YOU and CORPORATE.

That was harassment at that point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Wow, that is way out of line.  Definitely let corporate know about that.

+1  What a POS.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#42]
That chick should be fired without question. Unbelievable.

My experiences with Denny's have been universally good with good service and good food though it is not a place I frequent(nearest one is now 100miles away from where I live)

One more thing:
People who don't tip are the rudest sort of cheap fucking bastards.  That is what the waitresses are working for, just as salesmen work on commision.  Only an asshole would fail to tip unless the service is atrocious. I tip well even for fair service though maybe I am too generous in that regard.  The number of times I have not left a tip in the past 30 years I could count on one hand. Some people are just looking for an excuse not to tip. Man up and admit you are just a cheap asshole.

Also remember that plenty of people are assholes, managers are assholes, etc and you have no idea what their day has been like. I have found that if you are patient and kind with these people they will almost always come around and respond to that. Cut 'em a little slack, huh. Geez.

End of rant

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I told him if he doesn't fuck off he is gonna find out what a CCW is.

Hubby and I have had quite a few bad experiences with Dennys. We tend to avoid it nowadays. (we did find one that was okay, but even that depended on who was working and we still routinely had to wait for the cash register bimbo to get around to cashing us out.)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Shanikwa................. hr
Are you trying to insinuate some type of racism here?  Why not explain your post honestly?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Im sorry but that line should NEVER be crossed. An employee should NEVER contact a customer without the employer knowing.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Some times I want to go up in my bell tower and do something.

You have a bell tower?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

At the Denny's down the street from me there is a meeting of homos every friday. One time I went in there this is how I found out and this guy dressed as a girl comes over to my table and goes hey sexy and starts to try to touch me and I told him if he doesn't fuck off he is gonna find out what a CCW is.

Lighten up, Francis!

You say you have a CCW, but sometimes you want to climb a bell tower?

Maybe a book suppository building?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#49]

When we got to the counter to pay, I stood there for about 5 mins. while two workers were talking about their weekend. Finally, I got to pay and leave.

I would have simply walked out, or told them something.

If bad servise I wouldnt give emm a tip, hell if Im not satisfied with the servise I get they sure as hell arent getting anything from me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are threatening to shoot someone over that?
What? you have no other skills besides reaching for a weapon?
Don't know about where you live, but you pull that iron on someone for that--and you'll be inside the local bed and breakfast looking out for a while.
He touches you, touch him back. Escalating to an armed conflict is way out of line and over the top.

pato

You saying I have no skills Here are my skills:
1. Quick Draw
2. hand to hand combat
3. Runing

I'm not a very fast runner I can run for a long amount of time tough. So it is number 3. If you let them get to you they will keep annoying you so saying that you have no problem spraying his homo ass all over Denny's though it sounds like a bad idea and I wouldn't do that. But uhh when you are out numbered in such a way. Knowing that your father is a packing is always a good thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top