Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:28:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 9:29:05 AM EDT by Bostonterrier97]
from:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060315/od_nm/billion1_dc;_ylt=AtLHvTtbelM_AmrFlTshwEwSH9EA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

You got change for a Grover Cleveland, pal?

Wed Mar 15, 8:44 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The counterfeit money looked good, but there was one flaw. There's no such thing as a one billion dollar bill.

U.S. Customs agents in California said on Tuesday they had found 250 bogus billion dollar bills while investigating a man charged with currency smuggling.

Tekle Zigetta, 45, pleaded guilty to three federal counts of trying to bring cash, phony bills and a fake $100,000 gold certificate into the United States in January.

Further investigation led agents to a West Hollywood apartment where they found the stash of yellowing and wrinkled one billion dollar bills with an issue date of 1934 and bearing a picture of President Grover Cleveland.

"You would think the $1 billion denomination would be a giveaway that these notes are fake, but some people are still taken in," said James Todak, a secret services agent involved in the probe.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:38:33 AM EDT
Something tells me this guy was'nta real couterfeiter just some guy with a laser jet! Why would any serious counterfeiter make billion dollar bills but no 20$? He was probably just doing it for fun but got caught not realisng that it is still a federal crime to imitate us money. As a Numastic coin collecter sometimes i have dreams where i come across tons of money but then i look at them and say hey there is no 3$ bill with bugs bunny on it! its all fake! I'm still poor! then i wake up...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:43:11 AM EDT
I had a $500 bill once. The banks still get them once in a while but are under orders to turn them in to the treasury. I had a friend at a bank and after almost 5 years she calle dand said she had one. I went right down and got it. Sold it to my Uncle later when I needed the money.
Top Top