Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/15/2001 2:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2001 4:37:31 PM EDT by zazou]
Ok. No religion, just.... well, I won't give it away. Do you know what the 2nd Amendment really is? this is simpler than you think. Go. Zaz -------------------------- OK, here's the dope. This may be a rant, but it is something we talk about everyday here and I think we need to periodically step back and look at it. For those of you who have bothered to view this, "Thank you." More and more recently I have read posts by many who are in the campaign to spread our opinions and help educate our friends/family/etc on guns and ownership. But I often hear something that bothers me. Many of us often say the [i]"RKBA gives us the right..."[/i] It is paramount that we express that the RKBA does not grant, but [i][b]protects[/i][/b] our RKBA. It may seem trivial, but this just drives me absolutely nuts, so let's expand the viewpoint. By saying the 2nd Amendment gives you the right you are acknowledging that the Government has the authority to tell you that you can or can not own them and in as much they may legislate exceptions and such to further reduce that given right. The same goes for speech, privacy, religion, etc. Any acknowledgement that the Government can limit any of these is morally wrong. Give them an inch...eventually they will have it all. Thus is my beef with the NRA. (another story) We [b]must[/b] be adamant that the 2nd protects, not gives, our right when we discuss this with others. End Rant. Zaz My public service announcement campaign 2001
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:42:22 PM EDT
It is an acknowledgement of our god given right to keep and bear arms.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:42:55 PM EDT
Uhhh, the one after the First? It gives the citizenry the means to keep the Government honest.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:44:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cerberus: It gives the citizenry the means to keep the Government honest.
View Quote
Agreed, the right to protect from a tyrannical government, whether internal or external.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:46:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HKocher:
Originally Posted By cerberus: It gives the citizenry the means to keep the Government honest.
View Quote
Agreed, the right to protect from a tyrannical government, whether internal or external.
View Quote
That goes along with what i think.[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:51:21 PM EDT
Actually, guys I wasn't specific enough. The Second Amendment is the [b]citizens[/b] giving [b]themselves[/b] the means to keep Government honest. A small but important distinction, as the government does not grant us rights. The government exists to protect those rights the original citizenry granted themselves.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2001 2:53:01 PM EDT by littlemarine]
Originally Posted By AR-SNIPER-15:
Originally Posted By HKocher:
View Quote
View Quote
That goes along with what i think.[sniper]
View Quote
Thats what I was always taught/told.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:04:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:17:00 PM EDT
Our only protection from tyranny. And one of the few ideas of the Founding Father's remaining. Matt
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:24:33 PM EDT
Post from WILSON -
It's one of the few things that just about anyone here has a tight grasp on.
View Quote
[size=3]And one of the few things that we can ALL agree on![/size=3] Eric The(Agreeable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:44:15 PM EDT
update at top.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:56:30 PM EDT
Top Top