Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:50:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 5:37:29 AM EDT by desertmoon]
Sigh,

" I went home with a waitress, the way I always do
How was I to know...she was with the Russians too?!"

Warren Zevon

Well, she wasn't a Communist...just a thief. I am a sucker for waitresses and for the longest time I had a friend who managed a local Denny's in Mesa, AZ. She was always upbeat and pleasant and we were friends for about three or four years. I knew her from the time she was just a waitress to her move to assistant manager and then manager. She was a damn great girl...or so I thought. Recently, she moved back to New York, and I hadn't heard from her in a while. I had assumed that she was just moving to take care of family problems, which always seemed to be happening to her. Anyhow, out of interest, I asked one of the waitresses I have known for ages what had become of her and I found out that the reason the young lady had "moved" was because she "managed" about five thousand bucks out of the business one night and just split.

I was pretty bummed. The lass had always kept a VERY clean place and was a very hard worker. If the place was short a cook then she was pulling double duty, cooking and managing....sometimes waitressing at the same time.

It just goes to show you that you NEVER know. I wish I knew more about what had happend but the place was so busy tonight that my "source" couldn't chat for long.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:12:38 AM EDT
dont worry...it never gets better than it can get worse. Basically all people suck except for a few honest suckers like you and I. If it wasnt for us, then society would totally corrode.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:22:09 AM EDT
Sad but true.

Originally Posted By gaspain:
dont worry...it never gets better than it can get worse. Basically all people suck except for a few honest suckers like you and I. If it wasnt for us, then society would totally corrode.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:30:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By skytrooper78:
Sad but true.

Originally Posted By gaspain:

it's corroding despite your honesty.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:31:07 AM EDT
Sad. I've found the ones you REALLY have to watch out for are the ones that make it a point to tell you that you can trust them.

5 alarm for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:47:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By desertmoon:

Well, she wasn't a Communist...just a thief. I am a sucker for waitresses and for the longest time I had a friend who managed a local Denny's in Mesa, AZ. She was always upbeat and pleasant and we were friends for about three or four years. I knew her from the time she was just a waitress to her move to assistant manager and then manager. She was a damn great girl...or so I thought. Recently, she moved back to New York, and I hadn't heard from her in a while. I had assumed that she was just moving to take care of family problems, which always seemed to be happening to her. Anyhow, out of interest, I asked one of the waitresses I have known for ages what had become of her and I found out that the reason the young lady had "moved" was because she "managed" about five thousand bucks out of the business one night and just split.

I was pretty bummed. The lass had always kept a VERY clean place and was a very hard worker. If the place was short a cook then she was pulling double duty, cooking and managing....sometimes waitressing at the same time.

It just goes to show you that you NEVER know. I wish I knew more about what had happend but the place was so busy tonight that my "source" couldn't chat for long.

If there is a # 1 lesson in life, that has to be it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:00:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:
Sad. I've found the ones you REALLY have to watch out for are the ones that make it a point to tell you that you can trust them.

5 alarm for me.

Ohh yes..... SO true. It's always the ones who go on and on about how they HATE dishonest people, theives, cheaters, etc etc etc...

The ones with the most self aggrandizement, foaming at the mouth, telling everyone how they're so moral, righteous, and self-effacing...... Well.... They're most often the ones who are the BIGGEST phoneys. Known quite a few in my time.

That old saying...... "Methinks thou doth protest too much"

It speaks volumes.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:19:11 AM EDT

5 alarm for me.

every time I hear those words I shudder

that and "I'm a good person!"
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:22:50 AM EDT
My father in law's secretary took over 100 thousand dollars from his company in a years time. He would pick her up and drop her off every day because she "didn't have the money to buy a nice car".

I hate theives!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:26:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Smalls:
My father in law's secretary took over 100 thousand dollars from his company in a years time. He would pick her up and drop her off every day because she "didn't have the money to buy a nice car".

I hate theives!

did he recover any of it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:36:23 AM EDT
yes thieves suck, of course I remember a large percentage of you would have no problem buying a stolen generator for next to nothing either.

seems thief is a relative term to some here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:40:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:47:38 AM EDT
I recommended my best friend since high school for a contract job where I worked. He helped someone else steal somewhere around $1,000,000.00 and then tried to get me fired when I found out.

I know how you feel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:10:57 AM EDT
Did you hit it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:51:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By slash-5:
I recommended my best friend since high school for a contract job where I worked. He helped someone else steal somewhere around $1,000,000.00 and then tried to get me fired when I found out.I know how you feel.

HOLY CRAP ON A STICK!!! That's a lot of dough.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:46:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Smalls:

I hate theives!

did he recover any of it shoot, shovel and shutup?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:48:45 AM EDT
so were you guys friends outside of the establishment or just business acquaintances? until the friendship goes beyond the establishment I would consider it just friendly business....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:04:28 AM EDT

I asked one of the waitresses I have known for ages what had become of her and I found out that the reason the young lady had "moved" was because she "managed" about five thousand bucks out of the business one night and just split.

So you'd take a stranger's word for what happened and believe it 100%? and so would the rest of you?

Originally Posted By JB69:

5 alarm for me.

Ohh yes..... SO true. It's always the ones who go on and on about how they HATE dishonest people, theives, cheaters, etc etc etc...

The ones with the most self aggrandizement, foaming at the mouth, telling everyone how they're so moral, righteous, and self-effacing...... Well.... They're most often the ones who are the BIGGEST phoneys. Known quite a few in my time.

It speaks volumes.

I disagree. It sounds like you guys are doing the same... so should we not trust you?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:07:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mikejohnson:
so were you guys friends outside of the establishment or just business acquaintances? until the friendship goes beyond the establishment I would consider it just friendly business....

beyond a few phone calls we weren't "hooked" up...she was "married" ( unhappily, of course ) and I don't do the "married" girls thing.....not my bag

actually the "unhappily" part probably had a lot to do with the subsequent thefts....her "husband" had quite a drug habit, from what I was told from several sources....

instead of dumping him ( he never worked after losing a well paying job some time back, just bummed around, felt sorry for himself and got into a bad scene ) I have a feeling that she took the low road.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:12:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mikejohnson:

I asked one of the waitresses I have known for ages what had become of her and I found out that the reason the young lady had "moved" was because she "managed" about five thousand bucks out of the business one night and just split.

So you'd take a stranger's word for what happened and believe it 100%? and so would the rest of you?

Stranger? Read the quote, I've known that particular waitress ( one of my sources ) for MANY years. ( that does get a bit lost in the quote, I even had to read it twice...and I wrote it ) In fact, I know the staff of the whole place. One of my best friends, myself, my firend's dad and several of my co-workers have been regular patrons of that place for YEARS.

Originally Posted By JB69:

5 alarm for me.

It speaks volumes.

I disagree. It sounds like you guys are doing the same... so should we not trust you?

NO, they are just making an observation. I have made the same one. It's like people who bag on homosexuals constantly. You can guarnateed that they are in the closet just bangin' to get out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:19:11 AM EDT
my family owned drugstores when i was growing up. for many many years. locals worked there of all types. people you knew or went to school with or perhaps were related.

you would not believe the number of people over time that stole from us. little old lady worked for us for over 20 years. took 10s of thousands of dollars over the period by occasionally not ringing up sales. part time kids for high school, some would do several thousand dollars over a few months, then their were several pharmacists who had taken the time to go to college and pharmacy school, get a state license and so forth that stole tens of thousands..

we used 'shopping' services to catch them. the little old lady was caught by the next owners after we sold the stores. she confessed. once you caught one of these people using pros, they would always break under threats of jail. they would always pay it back..

the presence of money and the opportunity to just pick it up seems to be too much for a lot more people than many would believe.. no excuses for this though. i will tell you this... one thing i learned is that many more people than you would suspect are cabable and perhaps have committed pretty serious crimes. with me its not so much as i dont trust people as i am not suprised when someone who appears to be the pillar of the community is found to have done some pretty bad things.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:06:41 AM EDT
and if you hang around with him, your reputation will turn to crap
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:21:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By st0newall:
my family owned drugstores when i was growing up. for many many years. locals worked there of all types. people you knew or went to school with or perhaps were related.

you would not believe the number of people over time that stole from us. little old lady worked for us for over 20 years. took 10s of thousands of dollars over the period by occasionally not ringing up sales. part time kids for high school, some would do several thousand dollars over a few months, then their were several pharmacists who had taken the time to go to college and pharmacy school, get a state license and so forth that stole tens of thousands..

we used 'shopping' services to catch them. the little old lady was caught by the next owners after we sold the stores. she confessed. once you caught one of these people using pros, they would always break under threats of jail. they would always pay it back..

the presence of money and the opportunity to just pick it up seems to be too much for a lot more people than many would believe.. no excuses for this though. i will tell you this... one thing i learned is that many more people than you would suspect are cabable and perhaps have committed pretty serious crimes. with me its not so much as i dont trust people as i am not suprised when someone who appears to be the pillar of the community is found to have done some pretty bad things.

All very true unfortunately...

I worked retail part time in the civilian world for about three years a while back and
was unpleasantly suprised at how common this is.
It seems that it was always the most pleasant and amiable person doing the most
stealing. The more they were entrusted with the more they stole. Many seemed to think it
was fine simply because they felt they were being in turn ripped off by the store by
being underpaid.

On another note, my dad was ripped off by a business partner who simply up and
moved all his shit out of the office and to another city over the weekend.
So much for gentlemans agreements...
Top Top