Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 11:29:09 AM EDT
What is the best method to remove paper wallpaper (as opposed to the cloth stuff) from walls?

My hopefully-soon-to-be-next-home has a few rooms with wallpaper that is so ugly it sears the eyes. I'm not too keen on ripping down the walls, so...

Are there any techniques or products that work? I'll be painting the walls later, and am willing to do a skim coat of drywall compound to make sure it looks right.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Two words: Paper Tiger
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's terribly ugly, a sledgehammer will do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
you could skim over the wallpaper

you can take the wallpaper down, i prefer a steamer for this. takes a long time for a normal sized room, going slowly and not destroying the drywall behind it. if the wall wasnt propery preped before the wallpaper was put up, your gonna make a mess regardless.

their are other ways to take it down. i just prefer a steamer when doing multiple layers (95% that i pull down wallpaper there are at least 2 if not 3 layers of wallpaper most of it being 20+ years old)

keep the walls wet. the glue used in wallpaper is water based. it will become unsticky when wet. newer wallpaper comes down ALOT easier then old wallpaper.

take the sheetrock out and put new up
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to any paint store and purchase a product named "Diff" wallpaper remover. Follow directions on bottle.

Other ways are to make a solution of one part vinegar to two parts water. Take a sponge and wet the wall; keeping it wet till it starts to bubble. Using a taping knife, or other scraping tool, work it behind the wallpaper. All the time keeping the wallpaper wet. After removing the wallpaper, be sure and wash all of the paste residue off the walls with plenty of CLEAN water.

Found the above online for clarity.
I've used Diff on several rooms and it works real well.
My sister likes the vinegar and water solution.

Don't know if the steamers work though.

I'm doing my bedroom in a few weeks.
It sucks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Paper Tiger and a pump sprayer with warm water.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've tried all of the above.

Make it easy on yourself and go rent a wallpaper remover steamer thing from your local rental yard.  It'll come off in sheets.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Believe me, the sledgehammer and new drywall trick isn't entirely impossible. I'm just trying to save every penny I can. Despite the pay raise and bonus I got, I'm still not made of money.

Would be fun to beat the shit out of it, though!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've tried all of the above.

Make it easy on yourself and go rent a wallpaper remover steamer thing from your local rental yard.  It'll come off in sheets.

+1

You many get lucky and get some areas where just warm water will do it...but the steamers are the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
if you want it done cheap, and not worried to much about perfection, then lay down a layer of mud over the seams of the wallpaper, then prime with a OIL BASED PRIMER, 2 coats (remember, the wallpaper glue is water based, latex paint will mess it up) and then paint as you want.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Try this:
- right click on the desk-top
- choose "Properties"
- choose "Appearance"
- choose "Default" under "Windows and Buttons"
- choose OK

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Try this:
- choose "Properties"
- choose "Appearance"
- choose OK

BEAT ME TO IT!!

Seriously, I just did 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and dining room, got one those paper scorers and Diff, it really works, just give it a few minutes to saturate the paper. Peels right off
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try this:
- choose "Properties"
- choose "Appearance"
- choose OK

Sorry. I use a Mac.

Well, I did before I started my new job. Now I can only use my beloved PowerBook at home.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Seriously, I just did 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and dining room, got one those paper scorers and Diff, it really works, just give it a few minutes to saturate the paper. Peels right off

Did you have to do anything special to the wall prior to painting it?

Skim coat, primer, anything?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
my old manager.   white castle.  and beer      
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
my old manager.   white castle.  and beer      

I'm trying not to get arrested for deploying a WMD without a license.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I used a paper tiger and Diff to get a mother%^$%@$^ border off of the walls in my bedroom.
The people who put it there did not use sizing behind it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you have to do anything special to the wall prior to painting it?

Skim coat, primer, anything?

I just washed the wall and made sure it was clean and dry from any wallpaper glue.
This is what I used to score and scrape:
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

also tiger with diff but rub the paper alot to punture it real good..

also might have to do it a few times

i really hate wall paper
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#19]
A good coat of fire is usually the best way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top