Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/16/2006 4:20:23 PM EDT

Fuji Heavy Industries Delivers First Apache To Japanese Govt

ST. LOUIS, March 15, 2006 -- Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) today delivered the first AH-64D Apache Longbow multi-role combat helicopter to the Japanese government during a ceremony in Japan, signaling a new era in capabilities for the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force.

FHI and The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] teamed for the production of the aircraft. The ceremony was held at the FHI production facility in Utsunomiya, Japan, where FHI will produce future Apaches.

The Japan Defense Agency (JDA) selected FHI to produce the AH-64D Apache Longbow with unique requirements for Japan. FHI is producing the aircraft under license from Boeing, which is supporting systems integration and aircraft production.

Japanese and international government, military and industry leaders attended the ceremony.

"Delivery of the new Apache Longbow for Japan ahead of schedule confirms the dedication and cooperation experienced between the Boeing and FHI teams in fulfilling Japan Ground Self Defense Force's fielding of its first two aircraft next year," said Patricia Carson, program manager of the Japanese Apache program for Boeing. "FHI has an outstanding record as an aircraft manufacturer that will ensure a high-quality product every time."

Carson said Boeing and FHI have been working closely for the last year to conclude qualification testing of the unique configuration for Japan that includes incorporation of an air-to-air Stinger launcher. Following the initial aircraft qualification, FHI will produce the Apache Longbow aircraft in Japan.

Al Winn, vice president of Apache Programs at Boeing, said, "We are extremely pleased that the Apache will be one of the first weapons platforms with 21 st century joint and interoperable capabilities deployed with the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force."

The Apache Longbow features fully integrated avionics and weapons plus a state-of-the-art modem transmitting real-time, secure digitized battlefield information to air and ground forces. It can rapidly detect, classify, prioritize and engage stationary or moving opposition targets at standoff ranges in nearly all weather environments.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:21:51 PM EDT
Why are we sending anyone weapons?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:23:11 PM EDT
Cool. Is the range on those long enough to reach communist china?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:24:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 13thWarrior:

$
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:26:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bblake00:

$

Ahh yes cant for get that. I hope we fuck them in the ass with the price.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:29:21 PM EDT

Look at a globe much?

Care to look across the Sea of Japan and what countries are there?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:33:36 PM EDT
Does this mean Subarus will start coming equipped with Hellfire missiles?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:35:03 PM EDT
BANZAI!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:42:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:

Look at a globe much?

I know the location of every country on earth even the shit ones in africa. We don't need japan to send korea and china to hell in a hand basket.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:43:47 PM EDT

Look at a globe much?

I know the location of every country on earth even the shit ones in africa. We don't need japan to send korea and china to hell in a hand basket.

What are you, like 12 years old?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:45:02 PM EDT

Look at a globe much?

Actually, we do. There are too many threats and not enough resources. If we devoted our forces to China or the Korean penninsula, what do you think would happen in the Middle East or vice versa?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:45:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DrMark:
Carson said Boeing and FHI have been working closely for the last year to conclude qualification testing of the unique configuration for Japan that includes incorporation of an air-to-air Stinger launcher.

I thought ATAS was already available on the -64?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:07:51 PM EDT
Great.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:10:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stryfe:

Carson said Boeing and FHI have been working closely for the last year to conclude qualification testing of the unique configuration for Japan that includes incorporation of an air-to-air Stinger launcher.

Best of my knoweldge it is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:18:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

.... Ha!

... Every AH-64 that rolls out of our factory is a unique configuration
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:21:25 PM EDT
With these capabilities, the US can license FHI to do service work, upgrades and rebuilds of Apaches for the US Army in Korea or other locations when our facilities have a backlog.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:23:22 PM EDT
Is it an STi?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:48:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 5:49:16 PM EDT by 3rdpig]

Look at a globe much?

I've got two suggestions for you to help you avoid responses like "How old are you, twelve?".

1. From now on, ask yourself "Does this comment add anything of value to the discussion?" BEFORE you hit the submit button.

And,

2. Keep in mind the old saying, "It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:15:40 PM EDT

That thing will be pimpin' with a hood scoop and fart can!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:26:22 PM EDT

OMG, that is funny!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:28:46 PM EDT
Trying to balance out the trade deficit.

First you won't let foriegners buy our ports, next our weapons?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:38:22 PM EDT
Yeah, now they will make them at 2/3 size and half the cost...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:39:34 PM EDT
It comes standard with some ATG (Air to Godzilla)rockets.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:49:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By firedog51d:
It comes standard with some ATG (Air to Godzilla)rockets.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:14:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

OMG, that is funny!!!

The tips go WOO WOOO!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:29:04 PM EDT

Good question, genius. Of course you knew that the US was the number one arms dealer in the world...

And the Japanese are what we like to call "allies." As in friends, possibly have troops in Iraq "helping" us, and are comitted to "help" us in other war time situations.

Giving people weapons can also do what we call "balance the power." Case in point, we outfitted the Bosnian military (previously was just dudes with AKs) with everything from canteens to M60 Main Battle Tanks. That is so the Serbs can go beat the shit out of them on a whim and threaten us with WWIII.

Or, maybe we SELL the weapons to countries, fund more weapons, and aid the above reasons.

Anything else I can help you with?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:36:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:37:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Duke-Nukem-:
When they finish practicing with the chaingun the crew will have to land the chopper, get out and police all the spent casings...

This is only too true.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:42:23 PM EDT

cmon guys you think its easy fighting godzilla?????
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:

Look at a globe much?

What are you, like 12 years old?

No fucking kidding.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:34:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

They're all capable, and certified with a number of weapons, but the USA doesn't equip them with ATA Stinger. The Japanese ones will all be fitted with ATA Stinger, and the Japanese OH-1 Recon/scout is also fitted with ATA missles. Basically the Japanese intend to arm all their attack/recon helos with ATA missles.

The US Army only arms OH-58D's and in the future, the RAH-70 with any dedicated ATA capability.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:27:27 AM EDT

LOL!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:06:04 AM EDT
If I ever get laid off here I can go work on their '64s. Another job opportunity!
Top Top