Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/16/2006 3:11:47 PM EDT
I was just messing with it on my work computer... and I found the house my family lived in when we were in Italy! North of Naples, on the southeast side of Lago Patria.

40° 55'37" N 14° 02'18" E

Directly to the north is what was an orchard. Whoever owned it burned it all when we were there (86-88). Going up that road north from my house, I'd take the 90° turn East and at the end of that little strip was a gate to what was a big field. There was a pretty slick Fig tree that was perfect for a treehouse. One of my buddies lived on the north end of that field. To the east, were larger orchards bordered in bamboo. We'd play 'guns' out there. There used to be an old house on one corner that looked like it got pummelled with mortar fire... maybe there was some action there in WWII? Also from my house, looking south, we could see Mt Vesuvius. Kinda cool and yet scary at the same time.

Slick, huh?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:21:39 PM EDT
awesome
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:42:13 PM EDT
It is pretty neat. I can see my mom and sisters house ect. You cannot see mine though, it must be the tin foil I have it wraped in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:55:13 PM EDT
Yeah it rocks, I have mapped out everywhere I went in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:34:17 PM EDT
I love it. We have a cabin in Alaska. When I'm at work wondering why I put up with all the BS of working, I can pull up G.Earth, spin around to Alaska, find Anchorage, follow the road NW, and there by a certain lake is our cabin. Picture is not very clear, but it's there.

Kind of helps keep me going.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:36:41 PM EDT
Go look at the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:45:10 PM EDT
Try this one:

www.topozone.com/
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:51:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
I was just messing with it on my work computer... and I found the house my family lived in when we were in Italy! North of Naples, on the southeast side of Lago Patria.

Directly to the north is what was an orchard. Whoever owned it burned it all when we were there (86-88). Going up that road north from my house, I'd take the 90° turn East and at the end of that little strip was a gate to what was a big field. There was a pretty slick Fig tree that was perfect for a treehouse. One of my buddies lived on the north end of that field. To the east, were larger orchards bordered in bamboo. We'd play 'guns' out there. There used to be an old house on one corner that looked like it got pummelled with mortar fire... maybe there was some action there in WWII? Also from my house, looking south, we could see Mt Vesuvius. Kinda cool and yet scary at the same time.

Slick, huh?

I have to meet you in person! I lived in Pozzuoli during the mid 60's. I remember your thread from a year ago or so about learning to shoot on the beach in Naples. (Or was that the beach at Archo Flechie (sic?). Remember Forrest Sherman Elem. School? Near the NSA and the Navy Hospital? My dad was stationed at AFSOUTH. My little brother and I would ride the train in from Pozzuoli to watch movies at AFSOUTH and the Chapel theather at the NSA.

There was old WWII pillboxes where we use to play 'army'. Nothing like playing on the real battlefield eh?

I Google E'ed my old apartment building too. Saw the old hood one more time!

Hun Farm this May?

TC
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:54:16 PM EDT

Google Earth Rocks!!

Duh
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:00:36 PM EDT
I can see my house from here!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:08:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Thunderchild:

Slick, huh?

I have to meet you in person! I lived in Pozzuoli during the mid 60's. I remember your thread from a year ago or so about learning to shoot on the beach in Naples. (Or was that the beach at Archo Flechie (sic?). Remember Forrest Sherman Elem. School? Near the NSA and the Navy Hospital? My dad was stationed at AFSOUTH. My little brother and I would ride the train in from Pozzuoli to watch movies at AFSOUTH and the Chapel theather at the NSA.

There was old WWII pillboxes where we use to play 'army'. Nothing like playing on the real battlefield eh?

I Google E'ed my old apartment building too. Saw the old hood one more time!

Hun Farm this May?

TC

Well, I'm probably much younger than you, sir! I wasn't even a glint in my daddy's eye in the 60's!

Dad was Air Force, stationed at Naples working with NATO. Don't remember where exactly, but his 'office' wasn't actually on the Navy base there. I remember quite a bit of the close area that we lived in... I could probably still find my way to my buddy's house, although it looks like they've built some stuff in that field I used to cut through. And yeah, that was me talking about shooting a Beretta out on the beach. Don't remember where it was exactly. An older Air Force officer lived a couple houses down from us. (the guy that owned the land and about half a dozen houses in a row would only rent to Americans!) Only got to squeeze a couple rounds, though. I'd love to go back and see all the great things I saw when I was a kid. (and take pictures with my shiny, somewhat new, digital camera)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:13:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pangea:
Go look at the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii.

Wow... that is... just wow.
Top Top