Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/16/2006 10:29:18 AM EDT
I've eaten hamburgers all over the world and I have never had a burger that looked like that.

If this is some kind of impossible ideal, why do fast food places feature these kinds of photos?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:30:49 AM EDT
you need to watch "Falling Down"
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:31:21 AM EDT
'One word son...plastics.' ~ The Graduate, 1967

Eric The(Trivial)Hun
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:33:21 AM EDT
they use airbrushes and hand paint it to look perfect

the burger in the photo is probably not edible or safe to eat
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:36:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:
'One word son...plastics.' ~ The Graduate, 1967

Eric The(Trivial)Hun

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:38:19 AM EDT
I watched a show about this.

They have food artists that come in and make those "dishes" perfect.

It takes them hours, culling buns and pieces of meat and lettuce, until the "perfect" look is achieved.

According to the show, the pic is of an actual product made with the same parts that is available to the regular restaurants.

Of course, even the show admitted, that you are not going to get one to look like advertised. It would take too much preperation time to be profitable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:40:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 10:42:59 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]

Originally Posted By DienBienPhu54:
they use airbrushes and hand paint it to look perfect

the burger in the photo is probably not edible or safe to eat

Federal law requires them to use only products that would be sold to customers. They can use the perfect bun and the perfect patties and the perfect onions, but they have to be real.

I think they can use fake stuff that doesn't involve the actual productthey're selling -- like fake ice in a Coke ad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:42:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:you need to watch "Falling Down"

+1

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:43:35 AM EDT
used to mix in some product photography back in the fashion days. that all ended after one particular food shoot. needed 1 shot of 3 crepes for a small restaurant. 12 hours and 80 crepes later, i finally got the shot. talk about a nightmare!

there is such a thing as a "food stylist", which is a photo assistant who makes his living by making food look good for shoots. many of these guys specialize in making custom plastic food for clients to photograph.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:46:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 10:47:17 AM EDT by all4freedom]
I had a hamburger almost like that once. It was my freshman year of college and we had been downtown, and went to McDonalds at like 1:30 am. They were supposed to closing the dine in area at 12, but the guys there said they were bored and wanted entertainment. Anyway, I ordered a double cheese burger and when I got it, it was unbelievable. I was like "It looks like it does on TV!" I almost felt bad eating it.

So, if you want a burger that looks like that go at 1 am.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:48:46 AM EDT
I have a cousin who is a professional photographer who specialize in food pictures (mostly for restaurant menus and cook book/magazines) and she said a lot of times the items are not real... they are sometimes made with wax and painted to look real. Sometimes the food is made up of combination of real and wax items. They also use items like paint, food coloring, etc. to get the perfect looking food.

Let me add that this would be illegal in US but she works overseas where there is no such regulation.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:12:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cheaptrickfan:

+1

i2.tinypic.com/rjnwi1.jpg

About a year ago I googled for the "what's wrong with this picture????" scene from Falling Down, couldn't find it. But yeah, you got the ref to the movie scene
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:16:26 PM EDT
I saw something on food stylists.....IIRC since it would take hours to get the pic right there was so way to keep the food that warm for long and it would wilt the lettuce, so the patties were cold and dipped in glycerine to look hot and fresh, etc.

mmmmmm...Wendy's triple(heart attack) with cheese....yum.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:19:06 PM EDT
You need to post a pic of an actual triple w/ cheese straigh from the wrapper for comparison's sake.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cheaptrickfan:

+1

i2.tinypic.com/rjnwi1.jpg

+2
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:30:18 PM EDT
Actually, the Wendy's down the road from me routinely produces some very fine looking burgers that look about as good as the ones on the signs and ads. The patties are always hot and I am rarely dissatisfied with the burgers, so props to the proprietor of that particular franchise. The fries, however, leave something to be desired.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:34:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Another_Dude:
You need to post a pic of an actual triple w/ cheese straigh from the wrapper for comparison's sake.

Yeah. One where the pattys are folded in half, the lettuce is all thru the wrapper, the entire thing is coated in ketchup, and the bun is soaking wet with grease.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:35:37 PM EDT

was WHAMMY BURGERS supposed to be a knock off of Burger King or McDonalds?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:36:28 PM EDT
That dosnt look good. It looks like an unflushed turd to me. Sure its stacked up nice but my dog makes some nice stacks too, dosnt mean Id eat it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:50:01 PM EDT
Who wants a Cheebooger with unmelted cheese? If its not melting and gooey its nothing but fake yellow s--t mascerading as real cheese.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 4:56:49 PM EDT by OSUBeaver]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:59:55 PM EDT
It's FAKE
Top Top