Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 7:25:59 AM EDT
I figured this would get the drunks out of the woodwork.

I'm taking Mrs. Boot to Houston for our anniversary this weekend. Nice hotel, fancy resteraunt, going to the theater.

We plan on spending some time in the bar and I want to try something new. Since I was planning on making this a more "upscale" weekend, I was wanting to venture into trying some new drinks. I'm more into beer, burbon and tequila.

I was thinking of trying a martini. Can I get some recommendations? Other drinks I should try?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You've never had a martini?

How about a good ol' gin and tonic?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd stick with your original three choices.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
No, never had a martini.  

Bama... I'm looking to try something new.  It's good to step out of the box every once in a while.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've tried all different types of martinis and never really like them.

The one I liked the most is a dirty maritini. They add olive juice.

I do like Crown/7up with a twist of lime.

The Mrs likes Cranberry/Vodka with a splash of orange juice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#5]
try a cosmo, thats a big time chick drink...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Ketel One is great vodaka for a martini. Grey Goose is for people who want to be seen drinking, not enjoying a drink.

Edit - Chics love cosmos.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
You do know there are "upscale" bourbons right?  Knob Creek comes to mind, as well as Booker's.  I also like Jim Beam Black.  Have you ever had a Manhattan that was made with good bourbon?  Quite tasty.  You could always just order a "red headed slut", that would go over well with the wife.    By the way, martinis suck.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You do know there are "upscale" bourbons right?  Knob Creek comes to mind, as well as Booker's.  I also like Jim Beam Black.  Have you ever had a Manhattan that was made with good bourbon?  Quite tasty.  You could always just order a "red headed slut", that would go over well with the wife.    By the way, martinis suck.  MJD

Yeah, I'm partial to Maker's Mark.  Wasn't really going that way.  I might be interested in a good scotch, but I understand that it's more of an aquired taste.  

The wifey said she tried the chocolatini this week in Little Rock.  She really liked it.  I'll get her one of those.  No way in hell I'm drinking one, though.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Scotch on the rocks is a pretty good one for sippin'.  Plus I've found not very many people will bum a drink off of my shelf with scotch
Try a chocolate martini, they are ok every now and again.

Just thought of another one.
Rusty nail
scotch with drambui (sp?) Very tasty!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Appletinis - chicks love them.
Get 7&7's for you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Try a red snapper.  Crown Royal, Grand Marnier, and cranberry juice.  It's good stuff.

A simple rum and coke is good too.  Try it with vanilla-flavored rum too.

A daiquiri (the original, not one of those fruity iced ones).  Rum, lime juice, and sugar (syrup so it's already dissolved).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I like Sky Vodka the best.  I also like Gordons Gin in a very dirty and dry Martini.  The high dollar vodkas are just for those who like to be seen.  Sky is on par with some of the finest Russian Vodkas, which I sampled in-country.  

That said, I only like three Martinis.  The fourth never tastes good.  I usually switch to something else.  

If it isn't made with vodka, gin, and vermouth, it is just a chick drink poured in a Martini glass...

If you like the whiskeys, try some Bushmills 1608 or Black Bush.  Smooth!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Have a manhattan, its a classy drink made out of the whiskies you prefer.  I can't stand Gin.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Gin and Tonic is my favorite standby
I am also quite fond of hurricanes and margaritas
The betterhalf likes mojito's
Finishing the night off with Irish coffee would also be good, as well as festive for the holiday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]
try a good single malt scotch, either neat or on the rocks......can't go wrong!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#16]
70's flashback: Order a Harvey Wallbanger

If you like a bitter liquour then try a Campari and soda.  Campari is a bright red liquour that tastes of grapefruit rind.  It is not a sweet sick drink at all.  Avoid if you don't like bitter flavors.  On the upside the bright red color in the liquour comes from Cochineal dye.  Cochineal is a scale insect that is harvested, dried, squished up, soaked in oxalic acid and lime juice and voila- red dye.  The dye is harmless, but drinking bug juice does add to the appeal.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess Im just a young buck still, but Jaeger Bombs!

ETA yes I saw you said "upscale"
I wouldnt care, I would still drink the Jaeger
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Jaeger?

Who is that used to order the goddamn rounds of Jaeger shots AFTER we had those pitchers of beer?  Whoever it was DAMN YOU.  

I used to ask "Why does it have to be Jaegermeister?  Why?  WHY, for the Love of GOD?"

Answer: "Shaddup and drink"

Thanks for the flashback!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I stick with the ole Jack.  (or JD & COKE)
I also had a good tasing Long Island Ice Tea last trip to Canada.  (tastes nothing like ice tea so...)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ketel One is great vodaka for a martini. Grey Goose is for people who want to be seen drinking, not enjoying a drink.

Edit - Chics love cosmos.

Not to mention, Grey Goose tastes a lot like rubbing alcohol!  Try Chopin vodka sometime, its friggin smooth!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#21]
You could try a Pellston Hottie, it is 1 part Hot Damn and 1 part Gin.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Moscow Mule
2 ounces vodka
1 ounce lime juice
4 ounces ginger beer

Use vodka that has been stored in a freezer. The ginger beer and fruit should have been stored in a refrigerator. Stir vodka and juice together well in a copper mug or a chilled Collins glass. Add fresh cracked ice and a swizzle stick; top with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Vodka Gimlet

2 shots of Vodka
1 tsp of Roses lime
Ice

Drink 'em up, yum!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Try a Sidecar, Copperhead, or Purple Motherfucker
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Martini's are great if they're made right. Since you are a bourbon man, why not just try out some top shelf scotch? No need to go mixed to be elegant - if the alcohol is quality then mixers are usually like adding ketchup to a great steak.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
You're a green beer kind of guy.  Don't try to deny it!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Chocolate Martini
Dirty
Blue Cheese/Anchovy Olives
Salt on the rim
Dash of Bitters
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Tanquery martini, extremly dry, lots of olives.  They don't taste good but they get your mind right real quick.

Tanquery is 100 proof, which is a good thing.  A drop or two of vermouth is plenty.  The olives in your drinks means you don't have to spring for salad with dinner.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]

If you have never had a single malt scotch, you should try one, definitely a more refined flavor than blended scotch.

A nice Glenfiddich (Highland single malt) or if you are feeling adventurous,  Laphroaig (pronounced La-Froyg)(Islay single malt - very strong). Be warned, with the Islay single malts, you either love them or hate them. Highland and Lowland single malt scotches are a bit more well behaved in flavor. They are all unique.

The missus will hate them, guaranteed, but worth a try for you if you have never done so.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Bourbon - Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old, or the 23 year old if they've got it.  George T. Stagg is top-shelf too.  Rock Hill Farms is another great one.

Scotch - see if they've got Mortlach 16, Lagavulin 16, or Dalwhinnie.  Redbreast is an excellent Irish whiskey.

Enjoy!
-hd92
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top