Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 6:37:53 PM EDT
U.S. House Will Vote Soon On Whether To Ditch John McCain's Internet Regulations
Gun Owners of America
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
Springfield, VA 22151
(703)321-8585
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The U.S. House of Representatives will vote, as early as Thursday, on legislation introduced by Texas Congressmen Jeb Hensarling and Ron Paul. This bill (H.R. 1606) will exempt the Internet from regulation under federal "electioneering" laws.

Unless the Hensarling-Paul bill is successful, many major blogs and web sites could be shut down for 60 days before any general election -- and for 30 days prior to any primary -- making it much more difficult for groups like Gun Owners of America to criticize anti-gun candidates.

How did we arrive at such a dismal state?

You may remember that, a half-decade ago, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) pushed a McCain-Feingold bill which, as enacted, prohibits organizations from engaging in major "broadcast communications" which even mention a candidate in a favorable or unfavorable light within 60 days of a general election (30 days of a primary).

Senate Republicans rolled over -- and George Bush signed the bill -- based on the assumption that the Supreme Court would surely save them from their unconstitutional legislation. But, in McConnell v. Federal Election Commission, 540 U.S. 93 (2003), the Supreme Court, by a five-to-four decision, upheld McCain-Feingold, almost in its entirely.

To its enormous credit, the conservative Federal Election Commission (FEC), in the wake of the McConnell case, moved to narrowly interpret the statute -- exempting the Internet entirely from McCain-Feingold. But in Shays v. Federal Election Commission, 337 F.Supp.2d 28 (D.C., 20004), a federal judge ordered the FEC to regulate the Internet.

The FEC is doing everything in its power to minimize the impact of the Shays ruling.

But, there is certainly a danger that, if Hensarling and Paul are unsuccessful in exempting the Internet from FEC regulation, many major blogs and web sites will be construed to be engaged in "electioneering communications" because they praise or criticize candidates. And, if this happens, they could be shut down for 60 days prior to an election -- or, at least, subject to a "gag rule" on what they are allowed to say.

ACTION: Contact your congressman. Ask him to vote for H.R. 1606, a bill to exempt the Internet from McCain-Feingold. Time is short, so please CALL rather than email your representative. (You can use the sample text below to help direct your comments.) The toll-free number to call your representative is 1-877-762-8762. If you can’t get through, the Capitol Switchboard number is 202-225-3121.

----- Sample phone text -----
The U.S. House of Representatives will soon vote on H.R. 1606, a bill by introduced by Texas Congressmen Jeb Hensarling and Ron Paul to exempt the Internet from regulation under federal "electioneering" laws.

Unless the Hensarling-Paul bill is successful, many major blogs and web sites could be shut down for 60 days before any general election -- and for 30 days prior to any primary.

Please support H.R. 1606
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be calling this week.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
OCT 1, 2006................Goodbye ARFcom, see you after Thanksgiving!!....this can't be.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that the entire bill covered "PAID" advertisements?    How could anyone ever interpret that to mean all forms of communications?  

It needs to be pushed back up to the SCOTUS for another look.  The outcome could be different this time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, Plan the attack on the goverment now. I sware to fucking god if they fucking do this shit o someone will pay.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
One of these day they are gonna push to much...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought that the entire bill covered "PAID" advertisements?    How could anyone ever interpret that to mean all forms of communications?  

It needs to be pushed back up to the SCOTUS for another look.  The outcome could be different this time.

It's worried that merely expressing opinions, paid or not, can be ruled to constitute a political contribution, and thus may be regulated like any other contribution.  Basically equating money with speech.  News organizations are, of course, exempted.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OCT 1, 2006................Goodbye ARFcom, see you after Thanksgiving!!....this can't be.....

Loosing ARFCOM will motivate some of the people on this board to vote from the rooftops faster than actually loosing thier guns!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Loosing ARFCOM will motivate some of the people on this board to vote from the rooftops faster than actually loosing thier guns!

I live to far and I don't have a .50 cal but the .300 weatherby will do just fine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
What will really piss you off is that there is one medium expressly exempted from the original bill, ready for it,  Print.  Yep the NY Times, Boston Globe, Atlanta Urinal Constipation (Journal Constitution), LA times and the like can print what ever the hell they want all the way up to election day, and they have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
How's this?
Congressman Akin-

Please vote for H.R. 1606, a bill by introduced by Texas Congressmen Jeb Hensarling and Ron Paul to exempt the Internet from regulation under federal "electioneering" laws. This bill is what we need in order to secure the first amendment rights that Republicans enjoy. America was founded on the right that you could talk about whatever or whoever you wish to talk about, and this bill secures that right. Please, as a Republican, support this bill.

Thank you for your time,
peng101
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Another kick to the balls for free speech.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck John McCain!!!

I will be calling, and regardless of whether this passes or not I WILL speak my mind whereever and whenever I please about any cantidate.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Keep dreaming. They are all spokes on the same wheel and that wheel is running roughshod over your rights.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
btt
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Fuck John McCain!!!

I will be calling, and regardless of whether this passes or not I WILL speak my mind whereever and whenever I please about any cantidate.

Why should the internet be more exempt from regulation than TV or individual speech?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
We can't talk about elections? They're nuts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]
The vote on H.R. 1606 has been pulled until after recess.  

Go here for a recap -
www.redstate.com/story/2006/3/16/75857/4152
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck John McCain!!!

Why should the internet be more exempt from regulation than TV or individual speech?

All three should be just as exempt, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Texas Congressmen Ron Paul

My fucking hero.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:52 a.m. EST

FEC Delays Ruling on 'PoliBlog' Speech

The Federal Election Commission has postponed a long-anticipated decision on whether to apply the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform law to political speech on the Internet.

It appeared that FEC Commissioner Michael Toner wanted to give Congress a chance to pass the Online Freedom of Speech Act proposed by Texas Republican Jeb Hensarling.

But late Wednesday afternoon, the House Rules Committee passed on the opportunity by failing to report Hensarling’s bill out of committee for debate on the House floor.

Key House aides told NewsMax that the House would likely resume discussion after March 27. If so, legislators might have to enact Hensarling’s bill to counteract the FEC if it decides to apply McCain-Feingold. That decision is now slated for March 23.

Supporters say Hensarling’s bill merely codifies the status quo, allowing politically opinionated bloggers - known in the blogosphere as "polibloggers" - to opine on political topics without being subjected to government regulation.

Bloggers from all sides of the political spectrum have thrown their cyber-weight behind the proposal. They are concerned that the FEC will rule that they are subject to campaign-finance laws. And experts say they have reason to be concerned.

McCain-Feingold makes it a felony for corporations, nonprofit advocacy groups and labor unions to run ads that criticize – or even name – members of Congress within 60 days of a federal election if such speech might have an influence on voters.

The FEC initially excluded the Internet from McCain-Feingold restrictions. But campaign-reform boosters sued, claiming the Internet was a "loophole" that allowed big money to continue influencing the election process.

Toner has openly supported the Online Freedom of Speech Act (HR 1606). His announcement of the postponement led to an outcry from some bloggers.

"It couldn’t be more clear: pass HR 1606 or face regulations on the Internet. Period," wrote Mike Krempasky, a founder of Red State, a conservative blog.

Traditional media organizations have taken a different view. An editorial in the New York Times on Wednesday called for closing the "Internet campaign loophole."

www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/3/16/115943.shtml
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
So no DU before the election???
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:52 a.m. EST

FEC Delays Ruling on 'PoliBlog' Speech

"It couldn’t be more clear: pass HR 1606 or face regulations on the Internet. Period," wrote Mike Krempasky, a founder of Red State, a conservative blog.  

I just love how the liberal media switched the Party Colors.  Years ago, Red States were states won by the DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE for President.  And the color was appropriate.  Does anyone here remember the old adage about Communism- "Better DEAD than RED."   Now they switched the Red Label to the Republicans.  

Traditional media organizations have taken a different view. An editorial in the New York Times on Wednesday called for closing the "Internet campaign loophole."  

Sounds like the "Gun Show Loophole"-  So they not only want to regulate private enterprise, but outlaw Free Speech.

www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/3/16/115943.shtml

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]

THIS REALLY SHOULD GET TACKED
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
This is BS censorship.

One more chip off the block of freedom.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

But, there is certainly a danger that, if Hensarling and Paul are unsuccessful in exempting the Internet from FEC regulation, many major blogs and web sites will be construed to be engaged in "electioneering communications" because they praise or criticize candidates.

And, if this happens, they could be shut down for 60 days prior to an election -- or, at least, subject to a "gag rule" on what they are allowed to say.

what everyone here should do is set up there own blog , & express their opinion of a given candidate

with a million blogs what are they going to do

this law needs to be challenged again in SCOTUS with the new justices,  
political speech should be the most important speech protected by the 1st  ammendment

www.blogger.com/start

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah, sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top