Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 3:54:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 4:01:39 PM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 3:57:12 PM EDT by Arlis]
If there is a legitimate use for eminent domain, it is to take over toll roads.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:58:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Arlis:

Why can't a person own a road?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:59:41 PM EDT
I believe the same group wants to run the Ohio Turnpike also......
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:01:02 PM EDT
at least they aren't making you pay for the same road twice like san antonio is doing. fucking greedy, corrupt city council.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 4:02:40 PM EDT by akethan]
Sell our ports and roads to some overseas companies?

We are being invaded some of us just haven't figured it out yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:08:20 PM EDT
Ya know, why don't we just sell the whole fuckin' country!

Let's put the fucking statue of liberty on eBay, how's that? Maybe sell it back to the french so that we can payoff the Chinese.

How come we don't own other people's countries the way they own ours? If we want a country we have to invade it and put up with all kinds of bullshit. But if people want our country they just buy a piece. Highway here, computer company there, couple of ports, it's all for fucking sale.

I'm going to dinner dammit!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:20:48 PM EDT
It's not exactly a new Idea . Many states sell off toll roads
to generate money . The real scam is that it's usually right
before the state would have to remove the tolls because the
road is paid off and a preset surplus has been reached .

They claim it's to save you tax dollars , but as usual its BS

The NY Thruway authority is a private company and has been for a long time :

NYS Thruway Authority Facts

the New York State Thruway Authority, an independent public corporation created in 1950 by the New York State Legislature. The Authority was established to build, operate and maintain the system as a self-liquidating project financed through bonds being retired from proceeds of tolls and other income. No State tax dollars are used to operate and maintain the Thruway System; it is a user fee supported highway.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 4:24:26 PM EDT by TodaysTomSawyer]

Originally Posted By chips:
at least they aren't making you pay for the same road twice like san antonio is doing. fucking greedy, corrupt city council.

+1 ^100

ETA - I hate toll roads - Spanish Kangaroos or not!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

"A" road- no problem. The only access between between point A and B? I think thats a different animal.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:52:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By akethan:

Seriously, WTF is going on. Outsourcing has become the American way. In 100 years, we might as well outsource our Military.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:53:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Ya know, why don't we just sell the whole fuckin' country!

Let's put the fucking statue of liberty on eBay, how's that? Maybe sell it back to the french so that we can payoff the Chinese.

How come we don't own other people's countries the way they own ours? If we want a country we have to invade it and put up with all kinds of bullshit. But if people want our country they just buy a piece. Highway here, computer company there, couple of ports, it's all for fucking sale.

I'm going to dinner dammit!

The whole country IS up for sale.....haven't you heard of the Treasury Bonds that we give foreign investors?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:57:15 PM EDT
I wish the founding fathers had the forethought to add a right the BoR to freely travel about the country on publick roads. I have a lot of problems with some of the regulations on travel.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:57:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:

The whole country IS up for sale.....haven't you heard of the Treasury Bonds that we give foreign investors?

Which as they get nervous, they are trading off for greenbacks to buy real tangible property in the U.S.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:59:45 PM EDT

The toll road is already a public operation.
The state wants to lease the operation out for $4 Billion in cash for a 75-year lease.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:01:32 PM EDT

+1
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:04:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chrome1:
It's not exactly a new Idea . Many states sell off toll roads
to generate money . The real scam is that it's usually right
before the state would have to remove the tolls because the
road is paid off and a preset surplus has been reached .

Unless you're Illinois - then you keep the tolls going indefinitely, long after the construction is paid for and well beyond any reasonable surplus. Screw the commuters, you can't give up a cash cow like that .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:08:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:17:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:

Seriously, WTF is going on. Outsourcing has become the American way. In 100 years, we might as well outsource our Military.

Welcome to the modern day Roman Empire.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:42:42 PM EDT
Back in the Clinton years the Chinese and Japanese were buying up real estate and lands. If the roads belong to a Spaniard down under, and the ports controlled by Arabs and the Parks and monuments by the UN and the Chinese and Japanese owning major complexes and land across the country, eventually they will be justified in coming over here to protect their property with their security; what a subtle way to invade with foreign troups.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:45:43 AM EDT
OH, you just had to get me started again didn't ya!!! Indiana as a whole is a good state to live in "gun-wise", but this latest decision was plain stupidity!! It all comes down to the $$$. The majority of hoosiers, this includes all the polls were in opposition, but as you see the people that know it all wearing the suits down south know what is best for indiana. What ever happened to majority rules, and the constituents represent THE PEOPLE. That's been long gone. They represent what they want not the people. WAY TO GO MITCH!!!!! Now you can sleep sound knowing that you've screwed hoosier for the next 75 YEARS!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:17:42 AM EDT
Ditch Mitch !!! His office Phone # is 317 232 4567. Be sure to ask him about the Time zone fiasco he started too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:59:26 AM EDT
I sort of like the major interstate toll roads like Ohio and Indiana. Entry and exit is quick, the rest areas are great, and the roads are fairly empty and well maintained (and well plowed in winter). I hate toll roads around major cities like Chicago and NYC. I once sat in a single spot in Chicago for 2 hours waiting to get thru a tollgate. I guess not enough people showed up that day to open all 4 gates, they on;y have 2 open and a backup that streched for miles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:09:20 AM EDT

I 70 is already too crowded with trucks. Every time they raise the tolls on the turnpike, more trucks move on down to I 70. Then the state bitches about lost revenue and raises the tolls again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:14:00 AM EDT
So what if a foreign company runs a toll road? Are they going to shut it down in a strategic emergency? How would they do this? Are they going to refuse to plow the snow in wartime?

The public sector unions threaten to shut down toll roads all the time. Where is the outrage?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:31:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Waldo:

I 70 is already too crowded with trucks. Every time they raise the tolls on the turnpike, more trucks move on down to I 70. Then the state bitches about lost revenue and raises the tolls again.

Shit no! We just got on US 20!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:38:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TodaysTomSawyer:

Originally Posted By chips:

+1 ^100

ETA - I hate toll roads - Spanish Kangaroos or not!

Death to the toll road toadies and their roman popery!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:41:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CAAAwarfighter:
Ditch Mitch !!! His office Phone # is 317 232 4567. Be sure to ask him about the Time zone fiasco he started too.

Thanks.
I called him and let him know that I APPROVE of both these measures.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
I sort of like the major interstate toll roads like Ohio and Indiana. Entry and exit is quick, the rest areas are great, and the roads are fairly empty and well maintained (and well plowed in winter). I hate toll roads around major cities like Chicago and NYC. I once sat in a single spot in Chicago for 2 hours waiting to get thru a tollgate. I guess not enough people showed up that day to open all 4 gates, they on;y have 2 open and a backup that streched for miles.

Agreed.
80/20 is a great road.
I traveled it for years, back and forth to my reserve unit.
Well maintained, smooth as glass and not a cop in sight. This is what the American autobahn should look like.

And, IIRC, gas on the toll is about 10 cents cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:29:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

Thanks.

Try working in county in a now different time zone, instead of getting home a 1800 you are now getting home at 1900 and miss most of the kids sports and school events.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:06:46 PM EDT
More and more, the gov't wants to abdicate responsibility for things they should be doing and insert themselves in things they should not.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:09:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

"A" road- no problem. The only access between between point A and B? I think thats a different animal.

This road is hardly the only access between IL and OH.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:15:42 PM EDT
BAA has run Indianapolis Airport for the last ten years and hardly anyone noticed...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By burbanite:
BAA has run Indianapolis Airport for the last ten years and hardly anyone noticed...

Some Dutch entity has been running JFK for about as long.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:35:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MattyMattel:

Originally Posted By Waldo:

Shit no! We just got on US 20!

Hmm last year Gov. SHAFT just worked on lowering the tolls for trucks on the OH turnpike because it was paid for and they wanted to get the trucks off US20 and SR2... I hear they want to privatize the OH turnpike too. What's the deal guys? You bitch about the gov't having their hands in everything, so they go and sell off the management rights to someone and you bitch about that. SO if the toll roads are sold to this company we will see Spanish speaking Austrailians taking our tolls? I doubt it. Probably the same people as before.

The OH turnpike is so flush with cash right now... I once saw a turnpike maintenance guy at the local boat ramp pulling his personal boat with the turnpike comission truck! I asked him WTF he was doing, he said they allow the pickups to be used for personal use...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 8:04:21 PM EDT by XJ]

And, IIRC, gas on the toll is about 10 cents cheaper.

It is supposed to be no higher than the surrounding area.

Anyone hear what has happened to most of the toll roads in KY? They paid off the bonds and quit charging.

If the IN toll road were closer to Indy then this never would have been proopsed.

Almost forgot about the time zone stupidity - the only good thing is that it kept a whole bunch of policiticans from working on even more stupid shit for a few months. Increased economic activity my ass.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:45:45 AM EDT

Thanks.

Try working in county in a now different time zone, instead of getting home a 1800 you are now getting home at 1900 and miss most of the kids sports and school events.

I drove to Indiana from Michigan for years, back and forth to my reserve unit.
I'd always forget the time and end up an hour early or just in time.
Joining the 21st century is going to have its pains.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:33:03 AM EDT

Thanks.

1 state 1 time zone either Eastern or Central. I am not driving to another state I am driving 45 miles away.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:37:24 AM EDT
does this mean that the toll booth operators will speak a language other than spanish?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:40:51 AM EDT

Thanks.

1 state 1 time zone either Eastern or Central. I am not driving to another state I am driving 45 miles away.

You can't blame Mitch Daniels for that.
Blame the US DOT (and your county) , which allows counties that border time zones to make the call themselves.
Personally, it should be all or nothing within each state.
Top Top