Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 11:51:51 AM EDT
I am in the process of starting a insurance policy on my guns. While I was making a list of all guns, parts, and serial numbers I started feeling like I was registering them. It kinda bothers me, but then again one of the excuses I have been giving myself to buy all these guns was that they are also an investement (maybe not the best). I was just wondering how others felt about that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:09:59 PM EDT
I dont see why your homeowners/renters insurance policy wouldnt cover your guns. I would have a hard time giving out the serial numbers and other relevent information to a third party. I have that information for personal reference but I dont think that I would send out a list of guns and all their information to anyone.
James
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 1:15:01 PM EDT by Johninaustin]
Homeowers policy. Just pay for an amount sufficient to cover what's lost (plus a little something extra)

No hassle about serial numbers or gun descriptions. Going with separate policies is a good way to get hosed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:15:25 PM EDT
Covered under homeowners policy (been with State Farm and Met Life) with no need to give serial numbers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:20:03 PM EDT
Imagine if they required insurance on guns like they do on cars (don't give them any ideas!). You'd have to register each one, and you KNOW there is a database for car registration. They'd love it; it would be so easy to look anyone up and find what guns they own. Legislation along those lines would be a back-door way of getting gun registration enacted.

If caught with a gun, you'd have to show proof of insurance. They could raise the rates so high that you couldn't afford to insure several.

Spend the money on a GOOD safe and alarm system.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:20:06 PM EDT
Included under Unscheduled Personal Property in homeowner's policy.

OTOH maybe I should think about getting a rider. My collection has grown a lot in the last 11 years.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:21:52 PM EDT
my homeowners had a limit on certain items, such as jelwry (sp?), firearms and computers. I didn't have to give specifics, just say i wanted insurance for 40$ worth of guns.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:23:28 PM EDT
Get supplemental through the NRA. They don't ask you for serial #s.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:43:22 PM EDT
I have a rider on my homeowners, but it has a 10K limit. Anything more and I would have to give serial #s, which I don't want to do. I have a good safe and an alarm system, so I don't feel undercovered.

I heard about a case a few years ago where the data entry clerk at an insurance company gave info to her boyfriend about a customer's gun collection. The owner was subsequently robbed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:46:04 PM EDT
Check with ALLSTATE. I do not think the guns have to be "SCHEDULED", LISTED WITH SERIAL NUMBERS. Some companies only cover $500 now max. under your homeowners and renters Policies. Pasted that they have to be Scheduled.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:50:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:54:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schwindj:
I dont see why your homeowners/renters insurance policy wouldnt cover your guns. I would have a hard time giving out the serial numbers and other relevent information to a third party. I have that information for personal reference but I dont think that I would send out a list of guns and all their information to anyone.
James

My homowers policy only covered a few thousand in "sporting equipment". I added about $6K more to cover my guns for just alittle more. I need to update it due to some new purchases.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:56:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-guy:
I have a rider on my homeowners, but it has a 10K limit. Anything more and I would have to give serial #s, which I don't want to do. I have a good safe and an alarm system, so I don't feel undercovered.

I heard about a case a few years ago where the data entry clerk at an insurance company gave info to her boyfriend about a customer's gun collection. The owner was subsequently robbed.

Give them the serial #'s on an encrypted thumb drive. If they get stolen, give them the password.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:15:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jthuang:

+1

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:19:25 PM EDT

How do you go about doing that? I believe an NRA membership gets you like $1000 in coverage, but that wouldn't replace my AR, much less the rest of my collection.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:24:55 PM EDT
My guns are insured via The Historic Firearms & Collectibles Insurance program.. The only information they require is the amount of insurance you want and a brief description (without serial number) of any gun valued over $10,000. Individual guns valued over $50,000 do require an appraisal.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:26:07 PM EDT
It's covered through my renter's insurance up to $10,000. I have another $1,000 through the NRA.

That won't cover everything but it's a decent trade off for not having to record my serial #'s and shit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:30:52 PM EDT
I have a rider for $40k, they didn't ask for serial numbers...

The nice thing about the insurance is if the gun blows up at the range, they pay for it. If the airline looses your guns, they pay for it. If they are stolen out of your car, they pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:27:53 PM EDT

I wasn't aware they offered insurance. I may just use them instead. My renters insurance only covers $1000.00 for guns, so I would need an addition to that policy. Come to think of it they didn't say they needed serial numbers, but they do need descriptions of every gun, and aproximate value.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:31:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AcidGambit:
I have a rider for $40k, they didn't ask for serial numbers...

The nice thing about the insurance is if the gun blows up at the range, they pay for it. If the airline looses your guns, they pay for it. If they are stolen out of your car, they pay for it.

What company is this if you don't mind my asking. I would like to check them out as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:40:35 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:04:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 4:10:48 PM EDT by Lakeguy]

Originally Posted By budlt57:
Check with ALLSTATE. I do not think the guns have to be "SCHEDULED", LISTED WITH SERIAL NUMBERS. Some companies only cover $500 now max. under your homeowners and renters Policies. Pasted that they have to be Scheduled.

Thats definately not Allstate. I just put a rider on my homeowners for all the guns and it required an

appraisal as well as the serial numbers. Why would you insure your guns without disclosing the #'s

to the insurer?. Seems counter productive in the event of a theft. Granted, you will have the #'s

held personally but you are going to have to turn the numbers over to LE once/if the theft occurs.

It must be a secret .gov conspiracy to get your guns numbers through your insurance company

Give me a fucking break. They already have all the numbers they need.

Some people need to loosen the fucking tinfoil around here
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:04:40 PM EDT
State Farm specifically limits firearms to $2500.00 per firearm/ $5000 total on homeowners. That is automatically included in your policy.
After that you need a "Personal articles all Peril policy"with "stated Value" if the items listed, with descriptions, values, serial#s ...premiums are based on total value of listed items.
It works just like jewelry, cameras etc. based strictly on value.

J
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:19:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CNTRSNIPR:
State Farm specifically limits firearms to $2500.00 per firearm/ $5000 total on homeowners. That is automatically included in your policy.
After that you need a "Personal articles all Peril policy"with "stated Value" if the items listed, with descriptions, values, serial#s ...premiums are based on total value of listed items.
It works just like jewelry, cameras etc. based strictly on value.

J

My State Farm personal articles policy on my cameras (which gets discounts because of all the other policies I have with SF) costs about 1/3 what my firearms explicit insurance costs, per year, for coverage on a monetary value of less than 10% of my firearms policy. And they require the serial numbers for all of the camera equipment that has them.

Top Top