Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 11:20:51 AM EDT
Like the title says, I need to ship my dog cross country.  I'll be moving from South Carolina to Southern California in May.  Due to a bunch of logistcal challenges it won't be possible for the dog to fly out with me.

So, anybody know of a decent way of getting my dog cross-country?  Are there shipping companies that specialize in moving animals?  Anything I need to know about with them?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think any carrier, including the post office, will take it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you in the .mil?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
You make arrangements with any airline.  You have to put the dog in a carrier and they will it in a pressurized and heated portion of the hold.

You just have to have someone meet it at the other end.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I just went through this with my cat.

I moved from ID to ME, and didn't want to drive with the cat, so I priced it out. To ship a cat, some airlines will do it, the post office, fedex, ups, etc will NOT take pets unless you have an account with them (like breeders sometimes do).

I called a pet shipping co. and they wanted 350 bucks total to ship a CAT, so I can just imagine what a dog would cost.

Call some airlines. A few will allow the pet to ship as freight, bit it won't be cheap at all. Figure at least 150-200 bucks minimum.

In the end, I sucked it up and drove with the cat. It wasn't bad at all. She was good the whole time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
have the critter reduced to powder. send the powder to whereever. add water at the other end.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you in the .mil?

Yes, stationed at MCAS Beaufort, SC.  I have orders to recruiting school at MCRD San Diego.  Without going into needless details, it's necessary to have the dog shipped to So Cal and have relatives watch her.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You make arrangements with any airline.  You have to put the dog in a carrier and they will it in a pressurized and heated portion of the hold.

My understanding is that this would only work with non-stop flights.  Am I mistaken?  By necessity I will be taking a flight with several legs.

ETA My first leg is from the Hilton Head/Savannah airport to Houston.  My e-ticket specifically states "PETS WONT BE ALLOWED FOR CARGO ON THIS FLIGHT PER AIRLINE".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is that this would only work with non-stop flights.  Am I mistaken?  By necessity I will be taking a flight with several legs.

ETA My first leg is from the Hilton Head/Savannah airport to Houston.  My e-ticket specifically states "PETS WONT BE ALLOWED FOR CARGO ON THIS FLIGHT PER AIRLINE".

Thats true in some ways.  Most of the time its the equipment.  Some airplanes have pressurized and heated cargo holds and others dont.  So if there isnt the pet has to ride in the passenger compartment.  Other times if the plane is oequiped the pet can be in a hold in a carrier.  

How big is the dog?

My suggestion is to get some dark glasses, a white cane with a red tip and pretend your dog is a seeing eye dog.   Most economic way to get your dog to come with you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Be sure to use a lot of packing peanuts.  Those delivery guys tend to drop things.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
you will have to watch the weather- if it gets to june or later don't ship on an airline, even if they would let you.   sometimes flights get delayed and animals sit on the tarmac or inside the plane without the AC.   not fun.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if there is anything on Craigs list about buddying up for moving or something like that.

You may be able to find some good folks driving out that way and the dog could maybe hitch with them for a small fee.  

That may be better than being crated and thrown on a bird by strangers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I ship dogs all over the US.  In order to do so you need to take the dog to a vet for a health certificate.  I ship mainly Delta but have used American, Northwest, United and Alaska.  Delta and Alaska are my favorite.

You'll need an airline approved crate with dishes that attach to the door.

You make your reservation 3-4 days in advance.

Feel free to IM me for details.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How big is the dog?

My suggestion is to get some dark glasses, a white cane with a red tip and pretend your dog is a seeing eye dog.   Most economic way to get your dog to come with you.

I have a basset hound that's near as I can tell semi-retarded.   The only thing she's good for is eating food and barking her damn fool head off.  

Don't know if I can get away with using her as a seeing-eye dog since she'd be too busy sniffing at the food court and barking at strangers to "guide" me through the airport.

Right now I'm looking at www.flypets.com/ to ship her out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I ship dogs all over the US.  In order to do so you need to take the dog to a vet for a health certificate.  I ship mainly Delta but have used American, Northwest, United and Alaska.  Delta and Alaska are my favorite.

You'll need an airline approved crate with dishes that attach to the door.

You make your reservation 3-4 days in advance.

Feel free to IM me for details.

I forgot, Patty is an expert in this area!   She is the one to ask.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Amtrak could be another option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top