Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:36:06 AM EDT
a friend of mine from another forum posted these he just took,

I'm a government contractor. I work on the C-RAM (Counter Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar) program. Basically, we have radars that pick up incoming enemy fire, warn the troops on the ground near the impact area, and allow the Phalanx to fire to intercept the incomming round.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2EdjXTutzs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdkzIptiCw

another post from him i relayed
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=441902

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a comforting capability.  Hopefully it performs better than the first Patriot missiles.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
the guy i know there, says they were put in, not 1 round has landed in or near the base..
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]
tag

Gatling guns are awesome!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome

Who sweeps up the mess?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
What am I looking at in those videos?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What am I looking at in those videos?

+1

I see lights... at night...

- BG
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Sir, our Navy has used the Phalanx, called a "close in weapons system (CIWS)" on many of our ships since the late seventies.  It's an outdated system, we've been in the process of replacing CIWS with a newer missle system.  The problems with the CIWS for air defense of a ship have a lot to do with the speed of the incoming target.  At supersonic speeds while the CIWS may hit  the target, pieces of it have a way of keeping moving toward you.  Secondly, the drums run out of ammo pretty fast making them useless against multiple targets.  You may get the first few, but after that you need to reload.  Reloading takes awhile.  JMHO, 7zero1.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]
This was done at night, and I didn't see anything.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, can't see anything in the videos.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#10]
turn your gamma up.. i see huge vollys of traicers...
and mid air impacts of the 20mm VS incoming shells..
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sir, our Navy has used the Phalanx, called a "close in weapons system (CIWS)" on many of our ships since the late seventies.  It's an outdated system, we've been in the process of replacing CIWS with a newer missle system.

The difference, in this case, is that instead of supersonic missiles, the inbound targets are shells on ballistic trajectories. You're going to have a lot higher PK on a slow, non-evading target as opposed to a Sunburn.

Hopefully, the Navy will sell all of those old Phalanxes to the army for counter-battery use like this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]

pic of it from the base
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That's a comforting capability.  Hopefully it performs better than the first Patriot missiles.

It's a proven system. It uses the Navy's Mk15 Phalanx. However, it uses different ammo to avoid collateral damage.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Sweet  beyond measure.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Sweet!  

Heartening to see the system employed that way.  Many years ago, I used to teach that system to swabbies.

We had movies of the developmental system shooting down some very small targets.

Put that and a good arty locating system and tie it all into your own arty FDCs and batteries and lets ROCK!

Hadjis won't have the time to escape.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top